Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Yeah I wasn't a fan of the art as well and I'm generally good with everyone, especially indy artists.

In the shot above, I'll admit I like the trenchcoat shot and the close up (I think it's the shadows that helps Purves art).. but I have Purves as one of the worst Hulk artists of all time personally.

He looks like the Toxic Avenger and everyone's eyes are all spaced too far apart which I think is one of the problems I had. The other is there's almost no background work at all.

EDIT:
    Now that I think of it, the coloring seems off as well. That cover is awful, as if rushed and the page generally is flat, the one where shades are varied/shadowing works for me... it may be that Purves art is just flat looking and doesn't lend itself or that the colorist didn't mesh well. (Checking now, it was a new colorist as well)
    Interior colors had been done by Petra Scotese since issue #325. Not sure if she did the covers as well. Some time during this run she leaves and I believe it was stated she retired from comics. Have to find that letters page mention...
    The coloring process around this time were really hit and miss. Not sure if it was the paper or whatever new process was being used, but in the upcoming Web of Spider-Man crossover, BLARGH! What a **** show!

***EDIT***
    Found it in the letter column in issue #355. She didn't retire, she bought a boat and sailed the ocean for a while. Honestly do not know if she came back after that or not.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 07-10-2021 at 04:29 PM.