Page 134 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2204
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Seen some theories that Cates is going to use Ewing hinting that Bruce and Devil had merged at the end of IH to justify why Bruce is acting the way he is. Bruce being a genius again does make me wonder if that will be attributed to Devil Hulk getting reabsorbed into Bruce.
    Wasn’t Devil like his dad figure though, Devil wouldn’t abuse Savage Hulk like that.

Amazing Member

I was so nervous to read this- I wasn’t the biggest fan of Cates’ Venom run, and I don’t really like his characterization of Thor; but this was a pleasant surprise. It wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t the complete mess that I was expecting. The whole “starship” bit was silly, and lil cringe, but that’s the only drawback for me. It seems to be a nice blend of the action from Pak, the ridiculousness of Loeb and just a little bit of the psychological and emotional microscope of Ewing (while nowhere near Ewing’s quality in that sense, but at least Cates tries). It appears that whatever happened in El Paso is what influenced Banners change of mind, and it may not even be just the fault of the hulk; I’m guessing either some kind of big battle that got out of hand (Abomination? Ross?), or a manipulation of sorts(Leader? OBA/OAA? Someone new?). But it seems that whatever happened was some kind of wakeup call for Bruce. Usually I hate it when a run starts like this, but the mystery and confusion of the contrast between this comic and IH #50 honestly helps in piquing my interest.
    Last edited by Immortalhulk13; 11-24-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Spectacular Member

This book is so 90s just like Cates other work,
    Both the writing and the art are really 90s,
    I like 90s style, but I like Ewing’s Immortal style better.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by guanlishabi View Post
    This book is so 90s just like Cates other work,
    Both the writing and the art are really 90s,
    I like 90s style, but I like Ewing’s Immortal style better.
    Yeah, well immortal hulk is a lighting-in-a-bottle run- not just the best of the character, but one of the single greatest comic runs of all time. This on the other hand, just seems to be one of 2 things; at worst, a painfully average hulk run, or, at best, something in line with the latter half of Greg Pak’s run. Either way, It’s not even comparable to Immortal hulk. I want to say that it has WWH and planet hulk potential, but even that would be a stretch. And don’t get me started on PAD’s run.

However, this issue has reignited some hope, for me. Let’s see where Cates goes with this.

Starship Hulk cracked me up. It's such a gonzo thing that could only happen in comic books, you know? I'm down with it for now and happy to give Cates some time to show us where he's going with it. I had mixed feelings about his Venom, but leaving aside whether or no I loved what he did with the characters, Cates' love for everything comic book oozes out of every page. As much as we all wish we could keep getting ewing's immortal hulk forever, that was never going to happen, so let's try not to judge this run unfairly by the standard set by its immediate predecessor. Literally no one can follow it up.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Starship Hulk cracked me up. It's such a gonzo thing that could only happen in comic books, you know? I'm down with it for now and happy to give Cates some time to show us where he's going with it. I had mixed feelings about his Venom, but leaving aside whether or no I loved what he did with the characters, Cates' love for everything comic book oozes out of every page. As much as we all wish we could keep getting ewing's immortal hulk forever, that was never going to happen, so let's try not to judge this run unfairly by the standard set by its immediate predecessor. Literally no one can follow it up.
    Couldn’t have said it better myself. This seems to be an enjoyable run, we could’ve gotten a lot worse. I mean, Loeb? Or Aaron?!! The concepts used by Cates in this issue alarmed me initially, but they work. And I really loved the exchange between Betty and Bruce; while there are some elements of evil showing through Banner (his grins, treatment of savage hulk), he doesn’t seem to be too far gone- he’s still the same character we know, but changed irrevocably by whatever occurred in El Paso. He’s letting his emotions fuel him, rather than just transferring them into one of his other personas. Unlike Aaron’s Bruce, he’s not evil; he’s angry.

Not sure we can say if Bruce has broken bad or not yet. What’s he’s doing to Hulk is pretty shitty at the very least, outright abusive at worst. Depends on what exactly his plan is and what happened in El Paso.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Kind of an obvious one .

Seen some theories that Cates is going to use Ewing hinting that Bruce and Devil had merged at the end of IH to justify why Bruce is acting the way he is. Bruce being a genius again does make me wonder if that will be attributed to Devil Hulk getting reabsorbed into Bruce.
    Yeah along with Hulk syndrome (That Hulk's Savage persona is semi-contagious, mostly through those who have gotten their powers from his radiation), the Bruce losing his intelligence thing wasn't really resolved by the end of IH IMO.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I read the first issue just now and I'm mildly interested in the plot. One good thing I'll say is that Cates isn't his usually teenager writing style.

I bought "Immortal Hulk: Great Power" trade. It's a collection of some of the crossover appearances and guest oneshots.

Villanous Banner who antagonizes Savage soon after IH's ending... Yeah, not a good start.

That start will likely age a bit better years afterwards, when the beginning of it won't be as associated with Immortal Hulk, at least.

It's interesting Strange mentions that magic was used for Banner's mind to become that "Starship", Cates is still keeping that attribute from Immortal Hulk in mind.

Either way, mad villain Banner is kinda whatever to me, and aside from that, not much else to say about this issue since it's just setting up something else.

Quote Originally Posted by guanlishabi View Post
    Wasn’t Devil like his dad figure though, Devil wouldn’t abuse Savage Hulk like that.
    Yeah, he even died partially because he didn't try to fight back against Savage.

If Devil is going to take the blame for Banner's current actions, then it goes against what was shown of him before, unless the merge picks Devil's and Banner's worst traits... But then again, there's a page post death where Devil talks like he's separated from Banner lol.

Oh well, right now I'm just wondering what's up with Fixit, will the Cosmic Ray power Hulk be used? And will we ever learn what the hell happened with Professor and Green Scar? Ewing only referenced them, but they disappeared, with no explanation given lol.

Fixit will probably show up for some power level bullshit, can’t see Cates resisting that. We kind of have a twisted take on the Professor Hulk with what Cates has established here, Bruce’s brains and the Hulk’s body working together. Dunno about Worldbreaker but I think both he and Devil are currently “dead”, whether either comes back is up to Cates I guess.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Fixit will probably show up for some power level bullshit, can’t see Cates resisting that. We kind of have a twisted take on the Professor Hulk with what Cates has established here, Bruce’s brains and the Hulk’s body working together. Dunno about Worldbreaker but I think both he and Devil are currently “dead”, whether either comes back is up to Cates I guess.
    The one thing i am certain will appear is Worldbreaker, whether or not it will be Green Scar himself i am not sure, but Cates basically teased it on twitter when he was asked will Hulk run end after a few issues and he will move on and his response is that no it will last for a while because he has plenty of stories to tell and worlds to break. I can't imagine he would specifically mention "worlds to break" unless he was directly teasing Worldbreaker.