Page 136 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2204

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Both runs did forced changes, but Cates made a massive one in issue 1 itself.I'm hopeful for the run btw but still Cates entire thing here is forced change to make his story happen.
    You said both runs right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Again he didn't take IH ending into consideration.His pitch was way before IH, before it even started and he said he used the same pitch.And being traumatized vs being so f*cking evil the Hulk is the one whose protecting us is a massive change.Again we'll see what happened in El Paso.

I didn't say run. I'm saying if you disliked Ewing's stuff because it was forced then this is also forced SO FAR, if you just weren't a fan of the direction then that's another case.And again I'm saying if Banner is remotely as evil as how this portrays him(to the point that Hulk is protecting us from him) then yes it's a massive forced change.
    Ewing's changes to the character were forced. Most had no precedence and it felt inorganic. Cates has written one issue wherein a lot of things have not been touched on. He's setting up a story where revelations will come about later. The way Immortal Hulk ended, Ewing closed the door and left nothing unsaid.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Cates is doing what he wants to do. It's way too early to say it ignores Immortal Hulk. I don't think anything in IH precludes Cates' run from moving forward, and if anything, can be used to help explain it. I expect IH will get touched on, but after a run like IH, his run needs to be absolutely as different as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Cates is doing what he wants to do. It's way too early to say it ignores Immortal Hulk. I don't think anything in IH precludes Cates' run from moving forward, and if anything, can be used to help explain it. I expect IH will get touched on, but after a run like IH, his run needs to be absolutely as different as possible.
    Cates did touch on Immortal Hulk, he killed him.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Cates did touch on Immortal Hulk, he killed him.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    What do you mean?
    In Cates run, it's mentioned that Banner mentality put his mind back to three distinct personalities. I'm betting we're going back to the basics probably the "Psychological Ramifications of Gamma Radiation" story from issue #393. All these unnecessary incarnations seem to be gone. Good riddance.

Fantastic Member

In Cates run, it's mentioned that Banner mentality put his mind back to three distinct personalities. I'm betting we're going back to the basics probably the "Psychological Ramifications of Gamma Radiation" story from issue #393. All these unnecessary incarnations seem to be gone. Good riddance.
    Actually it doesn't say he put his mind in three personalities.

It says "fractured his mind into parts [and] rebuilt it into" .. "split his psyche into three distinct parts" .. "External frame" "immense mind palace [..] Vast. Complex. Impenatrable" .. "Sits Bruce [..] astride the bridge"

So essentially he's hollowed out the Hulk, his mental plane is now a vast palace and "at the very heart of it all.. where the Hulk's psyche should be [is the] bridge""

[QUOTE=Cth;5830854]
    Actually it doesn't say he put his mind in three personalities.

It says "fractured his mind into parts [and] rebuilt it into" .. "split his psyche into three distinct parts" .. "External frame" "immense mind palace [..] Vast. Complex. Impenatrable" .. "Sits Bruce [..] astride the bridge"
    I wasn't quoting it verbatim. I was being facetious. But the fact is there is only three personalities like I stated.

So essentially he's hollowed out the Hulk, his mental plane is now a vast palace and "at the very heart of it all.. where the Hulk's psyche should be [is the] bridge""
    Thanks, but I got all that already.

You said both runs right here.

Ewing's changes to the character were forced. Most had no precedence and it felt inorganic. Cates has written one issue wherein a lot of things have not been touched on. He's setting up a story where revelations will come about later. The way Immortal Hulk ended, Ewing closed the door and left nothing unsaid.
    Can’t agree at all. There has always been a weird vaguely supernatural side to the Hulk, Ewing simply centered it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t agree at all. There has always been a weird vaguely supernatural side to the Hulk, Ewing simply centered it.
    By inorganic storytelling, I only ment that his story or ideas didn't always pan out fluidly. It had nothing to do with Hulk's power or gamma being in part supernatural. I've been saying Hulk's power is supernatural in its nature since Peter David's first run on the book, around the 'Heroes Reborn' story.

Ultimate Member

By inorganic storytelling, I only ment that his story or ideas didn't always pan out fluidly. It had nothing to do with Hulk's power or gamma being in part supernatural. I've been saying Hulk's power is supernatural in its nature since Peter David's first run on the book, around the 'Heroes Reborn' story.
    How so?

Before Ewing, Hulk's supernatural connections were only vaguely alluded to. Ewing explained why, by stringing together a half dozen prior scenes and such.

His run has been the most organic run since PAD, and smoothly built atop it.

I'm a long time Hulk reader that's been in and out of comic book stores every week for 34 years. Ever since I started collecting comics, Hulk has been my favorite. Here's my concerns with Al Ewing's run I voiced on another message board...

Although Al Ewing's story reads well; as far as storytelling goes; there were many changes made to the character that I felt were forced. To name a few... The entire green door idea didn't play out smoothly, suggesting it was always there didn't sit well with me. Hulk being an avatar for the One Below All aka the One Above All's lower evil self, also was forced and came out of nowhere. Al Ewing destroyed the 'Angelic' mythos surrounding Rebecca Banner by turning her into that whining neighbor chick from the Sopranos. Gamma stemming from pretty much Hell, when it is a force that permeates the entire universe makes no sense to me. Devil Hulk (an incarnation of evil) leading the "noble" fray doesn't work for me. Cosmic Ray's trumping gamma waves isn't scientifically sound, when in fact gamma waves are the most powerful energy in the electromagnetic spectrum known to us. The ending to this story seemed rushed. But my biggest PEEVE is that all things termed Hulk, are now forever linked to cannibalism in the MU proper. These are just a few concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    How so?

Before Ewing, Hulk's supernatural connections were only vaguely alluded to. Ewing explained why, by stringing together a half dozen prior scenes and such.

His run has been the most organic run since PAD, and smoothly built atop it.
    Peter was the first writer in story to bluntly state that Hulk had the "air of the mystic", or something to the effect in issue #452 (I think). But Hulk had always been able to do Incredible Astonishing acts, that he could only achieve since his early Stan Lee written days.

Greg Pak had the last run that ran smoothly. Deny that.

Ultimate Member

Peter was the first writer in story to bluntly state that Hulk had the "air of the mystic", or something to the effect in issue #452 (I think). But Hulk had always been able to do Incredible Astonishing acts, that he could only achieve since his early Stan Lee written days.

Greg Pak had the last run that ran smoothly. Deny that.
    The question was how Ewing's reveal wasn't organic. He used past canon in a manner that, IMO, complimented the character.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The question was how Ewing's reveal wasn't organic. He used past canon in a manner that, IMO, complimented the character.
    I answered the question with a whole list of $#!+ in my post before this one.

Correction...the "Air of the Mystic" comment was issue #453.

Ultimate Member

I'm a long time Hulk reader that's been in and out of comic book stores every week for 34 years. Ever since I started collecting comics, Hulk has been my favorite. Here's my concerns with Al Ewing's run I voiced on another message board...

Although Al Ewing's story reads well; as far as storytelling goes; there were many changes made to the character that I felt were forced. To name a few... The entire green door idea didn't play out smoothly, suggesting it was always there didn't sit well with me. Hulk being an avatar for the One Below All aka the One Above All's lower evil self, also was forced and came out of nowhere. Al Ewing destroyed the 'Angelic' mythos surrounding Rebecca Banner by turning her into that whining neighbor chick from the Sopranos. Gamma stemming from pretty much Hell, when it is a force that permeates the entire universe makes no sense to me. Devil Hulk (an incarnation of evil) leading the "noble" fray doesn't work for me. Cosmic Ray's trumping gamma waves isn't scientifically sound, when in fact gamma waves are the most powerful energy in the electromagnetic spectrum known to us. The ending to this story seemed rushed. But my biggest PEEVE is that all things termed Hulk, are now forever linked to cannibalism in the MU proper. These are just a few concerns.
    Ah, I sees...what?

The Green Door always being there works, when one considers how many times Hulk has come back to life. Long before every hero and villain did it, and came back from actual death. Like The Leader and others.

Hulk was never an avatar for the One Below All until issue 25. He was a foil, not an avatar.

How exactly did did Ewing change Rebecca Banner? She was in an abusive relationship with an abusive man, that's what Ewing showed and gave us.

And yeah, nothing about Hulk is scientifically sound

I do agree that the ending was either rushed or lacking, though

Nvm.

25 characters