Cover Date: November 1989
    Sale Date: August 15th, 1989
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jeff Purves
    Inker: Marie Severin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Jack Russell, Marlo Chandler, Mona, George, Phil Sterns.
    Antagonist: Werewolf by Night
    Synopsis: The Hulk has an encounter with the Werewolf by Night during an early morning transformation. He is able to fend off the change long enough to keep Banner from getting mauled. As the sun rises, both the Hulk and Werewolf transform and go their separate ways. Back in Vegas, Marlo is having a difficult time with the way things ended between her, Bruce and “Joe”. Cut to Banner, who has taken a job as a custodian at the research lab outside of town. He’s caught monitoring some of the equipment by the as-yet-to-be-named Phil Sterns, and then is forced to call Marlo after the Hulk is able to subconsciously inflict pain in his skull. They agree to meet but Marlo wrecks her car while trying to avoid running over an animal. She’s picked up by George, a service station owner, and tries call Bruce again. He abruptly brushes her off, as he’s late leaving the lab before sunset, but unlike the Hulk that morning, is unable to hold off the change. Across the way, Jack has also transformed and the Werewolf breaks free and discovers the service station. He pins George under the hood of Marlo’s car and gives chase. The Hulk is making his way across the area and sees the situation. For a moment, he decides that this is what Marlo deserves for breaking up with him, but in the end, intervenes and after a brief tussle, flings the Werewolf miles away from the scene. He and Marlo get their closure on their breakup and the Hulk leaps away, leaving a tearful Marlo alone to her thoughts.
    Commentary: Two creatures of the night crossing paths. Although I think the previous look for the Werewolf would have been a better fit. So this is the last we see of Marlo for about a year, but our first introduction to Philip Sterns, who proves to be a future thorn in the Hulk’s side for the next few years. Purves’ artwork isn’t too overwhelmed by Severin’s inks, and it’s a nice blending. Interesting theory about Banner thinking that the Hulk is allowing Banner to work out at the lab in hopes of getting rid of Banner. I really hope George was ok…dude was just left under the hood of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Well I expected nothing less, almost anything with Cates name on it sells pretty good. Thanos, Venom, then Thor. First issues especially.
    Think his Guardians and Inhumans books were flops, but yeah he usually sells well
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

From Ottley’s Twitter:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The story about what's going on in Bruce Banner's psyche in TIH #393 is called, "Psychological Ramifications of Gamma Radiation".
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uggha View Post
    I think it's a mistake to say it's based off any previous issues. Donny himself has stated he doesn't do any deep dive and research previous issues because he is telling "Donny Cates" stories, not Marvel stories. Take that for what it is worth but my guess, he tells the story in his head without any regard to what has come before and feels that the next writer can just retcon it if it doen't work or the fans don't like it. That is why he doesn't believe he is erasing anything Al Ewing did, by the mere fact those 50 issues exist and will always be there. So, I wouldn't bank that he is basing his run on Stan or Jack, issue #393 or anything else that anyone has done.
    I'm surprised he said that, his Thor run is taking a lot from Aaron's stuff.

It's pretty much a direct continuation of the previous run. Same with his Dr. Strange stuff.

I think it's a mistake to say it's based off any previous issues. Donny himself has stated he doesn't do any deep dive and research previous issues because he is telling "Donny Cates" stories, not Marvel stories. Take that for what it is worth but my guess, he tells the story in his head without any regard to what has come before and feels that the next writer can just retcon it if it doen't work or the fans don't like it. That is why he doesn't believe he is erasing anything Al Ewing did, by the mere fact those 50 issues exist and will always be there. So, I wouldn't bank that he is basing his run on Stan or Jack, issue #393 or anything else that anyone has done.
    Considering he's using Marvel's comic book characters, I'd pretty much say he's writing Marvel Comic stories and not Donny Cates stories; albeit it's from his imagination. One of the posters above posted a clip of Cates stating he isn't disregarding Al Ewing's run, but that doesn't mean he needs to address it in order to move forward.

On another note, consistancy in comics has been a big problem for a few decades. Sometimes referencing past ideas to show a connection is a good idea. Something Al Ewing did in his run, but got stuck in one dispensation of time.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 12-05-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Spectacular Member

This is paraphrasing from a panel discussion. But a fan had a gripe about something Dan Slott had done with FF that diminished what had come before and he asked the fan how. Donny's response was well, it doesn't really change what had come before because those issues and prior continuity still exist because they are physically there and the next writer could just take it back to the previous continuity by retconning it.
    Last edited by Uggha; 12-05-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Considering he's using Marvel's comic book characters, I'd pretty say he's writing Marvel Comic stories and not Donny Cates stories; albeit it's from his imagination. One of the posters above posted a clip of Cates stating he isn't disregarding Al Ewing's run, but that doesn't mean he needs to address it in order to move forward.

On another note, consistancy in comics has been a big problem for a few decades. Sometimes referencing past ideas to show a connection is a good idea. Something Al Ewing did in his run, but got stuck in one dispensation of time.
    Maybe if was an off the cuff remark and I don't want to say that was his exact wording but, it seems that is pretty close to a comment at his ECCC panel this weekend.

I think he stated he read Al's run and I don't think he would see anything he does as erasing it if he does something completely different because he feels either he or the next writer could simply go right back to it. He said he understands that the fans had the Wes Anderson version(Al Ewing) and now they are getting the Michael Bay(Donny Cates) version.

At some point he talked about editorial control and Marvel not wanting him to kill a character during King in Black, so there is editorial input. So there isn't complete free reign.
    Last edited by Uggha; 12-05-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Maybe if was an off the cuff remark and I don't want to say that was his exact wording but, it seems that is pretty close to a comment at his ECCC panel this weekend.

I think he stated he read Al's run and I don't think he would see anything he does as erasing it if he does something completely different because he feels either he or the next writer could simply go right back to it. He said he understands that the fans had the Wes Anderson version(Al Ewing) and now they are getting the Michael Bay(Donny Cates) version.

At some point he talked about editorial control and Marvel not wanting him to kill a character during King in Black, so there is editorial input. So there isn't complete free reign.
    I'd say the analogy feels more like Donny Cates first issue is inspired James Cameron or Wachowski's, rather than it does Michael Bay. There's layered depth going on.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 12-05-2021 at 09:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    From Ottley’s Twitter:

Yea that's from the first issue.

Yeaaah been reading all this and I think it's time to wrap it up. Like seriously.

Arguing won't get anyone anywhere, because no one will actually change their opinion, even if it's wrong. So it's just wasting time and creating a bad vibe.

It's been such a nice place before last 4 pages or so. Let's keep it that way.

BANNED

Yeah just move on, we'll find out what really happened and what Strange actually meant in the coming issues.

Anyways, was the panel where Strange said it would take alot of magic to achieve that feat implying that Banner actually used magic to do it or was Strange talking about if he himself tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by TCHRISJ View Post
    Yeah just move on, we'll find out what really happened and what Strange actually meant in the coming issues.

Anyways, was the panel where Strange said it would take alot of magic to achieve that feat implying that Banner actually used magic to do it or was Strange talking about if he himself tried it?
    It's only my hypothesis that Banner "may" have done it himself. Considering Strange said that other Mystics and even Omega level mutants don't know how he did it. I'm not stating it as fact.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Yeaaah been reading all this and I think it's time to wrap it up. Like seriously.

Arguing won't get anyone anywhere, because no one will actually change their opinion, even if it's wrong. So it's just wasting time and creating a bad vibe.

It's been such a nice place before last 4 pages or so. Let's keep it that way.
    Well said, bro. I mean, let’s just all respect each other’s opinions; this should be a place of respect and positivity, not whatever the hell this is now. Have whatever headcanon you want, folks, just don’t shut down anyone else’s and enforce yours on them like it’s some kind of authoritarian law.

No one is in the wrong here. We’re chill. I shouldn’t have compared this single issue to a compilation of classic runs, it wasn’t fair.

What did you guys think of the leader’s role in immortal hulk #50? I’m kinda torn, to be honest- up ‘til then it seemed like he was building up to some massive crescendo, but it didn’t really lead to much.
    Last edited by Immortalhulk13; 12-06-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

My observation after listening to DC in a panel discussion last week in Seattle is that he is not a deep dive person in terms of researching the continuity of a character. I watched him talk to a FF fan and say that being unhappy with the writing of a current writer and what they may be doing that appears to diminish what has come before will ultimately be okay because the prior books exist and will always exist and the next writer can simply retcon things back if that is what is deemed to work best. He doesn't care what Al Ewing does with Venom and whether it follows his work or not because it's not his book anymore.

I think this is not a surprise and has been somewhat the culture since the days of relaunching the book with #1 when there is a creative team change or creative shift. The days of Lee, Wein, Stern, Mantlo, David, etc all taking the book and continuing the story forward while adding something of their own is not how things are done anymore. It is what it is.

I think the big take away is DC will not be overly concerned about any pre-existing Hulk lore but will be operating on his general knowledge as comic fan and just telling the story he wants to tell. Only time will tell if it is well received.