Page 48 of 147 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post

Damn, this looks fantastic. I wasn't really enthused by the previous IH one-shots, but this one looks incredibly hype.

Greg Pak and Peter David Describe How to Build the Perfect Hulk

Marvel’s Declassified is a nonfiction narrative podcast that focuses on the rich, dynamic, and evolving history of Marvel Comics as told through a contemporary lens!

The Hulk’s creation in 1962 was partly a result of the Cold War. His origin story is not only a metaphor for the fear and tension that permeated society during that time, but also a literal depiction of the capability of nuclear power. On this episode, your hosts Lorraine Cink and Evan Narcisse trace the evolution of the Hulk through the eyes of his creators, and look at how subsequent comic book runs have added pieces to the puzzle—from carefree Professor Hulk to seedy Gray Hulk to WORLD WAR HULK. And with the help of a psychologist, they dive into the psychology of the Hulk and Bruce Banner, and what they can tell us about anger.

Joined by guests Greg Pak, Peter David, and Dr. Robin S. Rosenberg, Lorraine and Evan uncover it all on the latest Marvel’s Declassified!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/podc...k-declassified
    Definitely listening to that later.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Damn, this looks fantastic. I wasn't really enthused by the previous IH one-shots, but this one looks incredibly hype.
    Ewing is writing it I believe, and Juan is an amazing artist who excels at body horror. I’m hyped.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Definitely listening to that later.

Ewing is writing it I believe, and Juan is an amazing artist who excels at body horror. I’m hyped.
    Ewing is partially contributing to it, but the story and the idea is from Paknadel.

Ewing is partially contributing to it, but the story and the idea is from Paknadel.
    Ah got it. Still feel more optimistic about this then about the others (although I was let down by Lemire).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Maybe we can get something in the 80pg #50. At least about Skaar and how would be his connection to the GD. Ewing loves continuity so much.
    That would be nice. I think Ewing would write a great Skaar as well. It would be neat if the Old Power could be used to combat TOBA in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Given that Doc Green's cure seems to have worn off with the Rosses, maybe Skaar will become a Hulk again?
    Skaar should definitely become a Hulk again. However, I do have to admit I would like to see Skaar survive while only being in his "puny" form. This could allow him to develop an even deeper connection with the Old Power.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk Annual #15
    “Body Double”

Cover Date: 1986
    Sale Date: June 24th, 1986
    Writer: Danny Fingeroth
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Danny Fingeroth

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, Betty Banner, Clay Quartermain, Emil Blonsky
    Villain: Tyrannus (in the Abomination’s body)
    Synopsis: Bruce Banner stands atop a catwalk overlooking Doc Samson’s Nutrient Bath, reflecting over the last dozen issues and how he was nearly cured of the Hulk’s curse. The frustration gets to him, and out of habit, takes some tranquilizers, as he is unsure of the transformation status of sundown or adrenaline. SHIELD is tracking a gamma irradiated meteor and are shocked to find that it isn’t the Hulk, but the Abomination. The villain makes short work of Quartermain’s forces but is mysteriously shocked after noticing his appearance in a store window. We find out that this isn’t the Abomination of old, but long-time Hulk villain Tyrannus inhabiting the monster’s body. Using the information he’s mind-scanned from Quartermain, he leaps toward Gamma Base. Meanwhile, Banner, Rick and Betty are debating Banner’s current situation – go forward with another Nutrient Bath cure or let things be. Tyrannus suddenly breaks into the building and we get a flashbacks on the last appearances of both the Abomination and Tyrannus. We then get the backstory on how the two have returned. Tyrannus refuses to stay within the Abomination’s body and insists that Banner helps him separate himself from the brute. The stress causes Banner to transform into the Hulk. Tyrannus quips on the changes the Hulk has gone thru and easily overpowers the Gray Goliath. He takes Betty hostage and she’s left in a glass capsule with a 24 hr supply of oxygen to survive. Tyrannus returns to Gamma Base and begins working on the Nutrient Bath with Banner. After completing the needed calculations, Tyrannus enters the Bath while Banner contemplates killing the villain. Suddenly, Clay Quartermain arrives and begins messing with the controls. Banner panics at the thought of Betty dying and transforms into the Hulk. He chases off the batch of SHIELD agents and Tyrannus emerges from the Nutrient Bath with Emil Blonsky in hand. Angered at his unchanged situation, the two brutes renew their battle. Tyrannus has the upper hand until he mentions Betty, which enrages the Hulk and he brutally beats him down. He transforms back to Banner, Quartermain arrives to haul away Tyrannus, and Rick and Banner manage to rescue Betty before she suffocates.
    Commentary: The Abomination returns! So does Sal! (But won’t return for another four years after this.) Another case of getting multiple copies, because I bought this prior to issue #324, so I had no idea about the green to gray change. I assumed the coloring had fallen off the page, so I busted out some crayons and colored him green. To this day, it’s one of my favorite annuals and holds a lot of sentimental value.
    However, I have several long-standing beefs:
    #1 being the piss-poor printing of the Gray Hulk. Most of the time he’s an off-brown, not gray. For years, during the Essentials reprints era, I was hoping the Hulk’s line would get AT LEAST to the PAD/McFarlane era (at the rate they fast-tracked the X-Men, it could have happened!) and I would have been able to recolor this annual in Photoshop for my own personal enjoyment. Essentials are ended couple issues into the Mantlo run and the Epic Collections are started. (Ugh, and naturally they start from the beginning.) More years, more wishing, FINALLY this era is reprinted! And it looks like ****! Any color reconstruction done to the Hulk was minimal at best. Maybe three or four panels total look to have been tweaked…and not very well. The rest…yeah…horrible. HORRIBLE. At least TRY to make an attempt…pitiful. The Visionaries lines did some color adjustments on certain issues (FF #320 especially!) and they look GREAT! This was just sad and frustrating.
    #2 – the color of the Hulk on the cover – he’s green. Whu? I’ve seen some Italian, or maybe it was from Portugal, reprints and they corrected the cover to reflect his now-gray coloring….as well as #325. I thought that was cool.
    #3: I have this weird conspiracy theory on the timing of when this story was written. More than likely it was an inventory story that was hastily tweaked to reflect the changes in #324. Or not? Was it written when Byrne was still on the book? The changes Tyrannus was referring to could easily be taken as his smaller, lesser stature and appearance, there’s no mention of the color change and the narration after the Hulk completely thrashes Tyrannus refers to him as “the Green Goliath”. Byrne was to keep the green color, just a reversion to his very early Kirby look. Sal’s attempt for a supposed-gray Hulk is admirable, but it’s not the same. I miss the shaggy hair and eyebrows. At the end of the day, I just have to chalk it up to a story more than likely was written before Byrne left.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 04-21-2021 at 07:01 PM.

!!! native american hulks? curious. very creepy artwork. and based on the current continuity, is that character still around?

Fantastic Member

Interesting - was re-reading the Leader spotlight issue and it looks like the Hulk's current state was foreshadowed a *tiny* bit...

"Journal Entry 3/498. I've had some false starts.

But combining gamma with cosmic radiation in its tertiary form - primal kirbons - has yielded fascinating results.

They complement each other so well I'm beginning to wonder if they share a common source..."
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    That would be nice. I think Ewing would write a great Skaar as well. It would be neat if the Old Power could be used to combat TOBA in some way.

Skaar should definitely become a Hulk again. However, I do have to admit I would like to see Skaar survive while only being in his "puny" form. This could allow him to develop an even deeper connection with the Old Power.
    If not with Ewing, maybe we can get Skaar coming back with the new status quo (whatever it is) after Immortal Hulk. I'm kind of hopeful for a great creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    !!! native american hulks? curious. very creepy artwork. and based on the current continuity, is that character still around?
    Well, how would we know about that? I'm sure we'll get answers when the one shot is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Interesting - was re-reading the Leader spotlight issue and it looks like the Hulk's current state was foreshadowed a *tiny* bit...

"Journal Entry 3/498. I've had some false starts.

But combining gamma with cosmic radiation in its tertiary form - primal kirbons - has yielded fascinating results.

They complement each other so well I'm beginning to wonder if they share a common source..."
    In a sense, yes. But it's much more of a continuity nod (and Ewing loves that) to the process used to create the Red Hulk, combining Gamma and Cosmic rays, developed by the INTELLIGENCIA.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Abomination/Tyrannus was later undone in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Annual #23, with Emil becoming him again. It featured the She-Hulk as a guest star.

Here's some excerpts from that issue (Liefeld art):

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4589038.html
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

An interesting video about Immortal Hulk.

Joe Fixit Goes Cosmic!

https://youtu.be/arD82QQWGBQ

Hulk solicitations for July 2021

Immortal Hulk #48

AL EWING (W) • JOE BENNETT (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Homage Variant Cover by JOE BENNETT
    MARVEL ANIME VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
    COUNTDOWN TO THE END...
    • Questioning himself after his recent confrontations, the Hulk turns to the one person who always understood him – only too well.
    • It’s time for truths to be told. But will it be Betty Banner who tells them...
    • ...or will the Hulk face the gaze of the RED HARPY?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99t

SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN: CROSSROADS #1 (OF 5)

PETER DAVID (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
    Headshot Variant Cover by TODD NAUCK
    VARIANT COVER BY ERNANDA SOUZA
    VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
    PETER DAVID AND GREG LAND DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!
    After three sense-shattering series, Peter David, Greg Land, Jay Leisten and Frank D’Armata – the entire SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN crew – RETURN! This time, they’re taking Spider-Man down the road less traveled to the supremely psychedelic CROSSROADS DIMENSION! In their most ambitious series yet, the SYMBIOTE team puts Peter Parker and his alien costume on a collision course with none other than THE INCREDIBLE HULK, in a story set just before Peter David’s landmark run on the Hulk series!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99t

GAMMA FLIGHT #2 (OF 5)

AL EWING & CRYSTAL FRASIER (W) • LAN MEDINA (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Connecting Variant Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG
    THE BIGGEST REVEAL OF THE SUMMER!
    Who is after Gamma Flight? You’ve been calling for them since IMMORTAL HULK’s early days — well, True Believer, we’re here to deliver. Come to GAMMA FLIGHT for all the radioactive wonder you’ve been missing — and the characters you love to hate.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...solicitations/

Fantastic Member

Oh damn, that looks like Skaar shadowed out on Gamma Flight #2's cover.

With the return of “What-If?” what kind of “What-If?” Stories would you guys like to see with Hulk? I personally would like a What-If the bomb never destroyed Sakaar and Hulk ended up staying there and being king, where his life would’ve gone. I think that would be a cool and interesting story.