Page 50 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uggha View Post
    I hope they don't off or get rid of Bruce/Hulk again! I took a long hiatus during the Cho/Hulk run. I wasn't interested then in a Hulk wannabe and I won't be this time either.
    This is only a recreation cover. Bennett even describes it in his instagram. He has many homage/recreation covers, and some even become variant covers. Examples:

The homage is for Incredible Hulk #223.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggha View Post
    I hope they don't off or get rid of Bruce/Hulk again! I took a long hiatus during the Cho/Hulk run. I wasn't interested then in a Hulk wannabe and I won't be this time either.
    Don’t see Bruce going anywhere, he’ll still be in the MCU just She-Hulk will be his replacement like Sam is replacing Steve. And after Immortal I doubt Marvel are in any rush to replace him again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Meet the "menacing and beautiful" Original Hulk in Immortal Hulk: Time of Monsters

10,000 years before Bruce Banner, there was the Original Hulk

https://www.gamesradar.com/meet-the-...e-of-monsters/

I'm getting very excited for this the more I read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #326
    “Desert Heat”

Cover Date: December 1986
    Sale Date: September 9th, 1986
    Writer: Al Milgrom
    Artist: Steve Geiger
    Inker: Joe Rubenstein
    Letterer: Rick Parker
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Doc Samson, Clay Quartermain, “Thunderbolt” Ross
    Villain: Zzzax
    Synopsis: Dawn in the New Mexico desert reveals the Hulk and Bruce Banner hurtling through the air. Yes. They appear to be separate beings again. But this Hulk is thinner, with long hair and green. The Hulk lands and a confused Banner begins bombarding the brute with questions. Suddenly he cries out in pain and transforms into Rick Jones. Banner is flabbergasted and we get a recap of the last couple of issues along with an explanation on what has happened to Rick and Bruce himself. Rick became a Hulk by absorbing gamma radiation from Banner during the Nutrient Bath accident, resulting in the Hulk reverting to his original gray-skinned form. In a nutshell; less gamma meant a smarter, weaker gray Hulk. More gamma meant a duller, stronger green Hulk. As to why Rick became a green Hulk? Well, it’s been established that gamma rays affect everyone differently, sooooo, we’ll go with that. More banter between Bruce and Rick, who is now expressing horror at becoming a Hulk (whereas back in #269, he was trying to do it on purpose!) Bruce vows to help find a cure for Rick and the two try to make their way to the old desert hideout before sundown. Back at Gamma Base, we see a distraught Betty try to encourage some action on finding her husband. Ross hits up Quartermain about going forward with “conditioning” and we see Ross strapped into a contraption next to Zzzax. The purpose is to infuse Ross with Zzzaz’s living electricity! Back in the desert, Bruce and Rick are succumbing to the heat and both begin to hallucinate; Banner flashing back to his traumatic childhood and Rick seeing two Hulks battling it out, with only one coming out as the victor. Cut back to Gamma Base, and the Ross experiment quickly backfires, as Zzzax absorbs Ross’ mind and escapes, intent on finding and killing the Hulk. Hours later, we see Bruce and Rick in front of the old cave just prior to sundown. The fever dreams wasted precious time, and as the two shake hands in solidarity, they both transform into their hulking alter-egos. The Rick Hulk quickly loses control while the Banner Hulk maintains his sinister, brutish intelligence and a lopsided battle ensues. How long they fight is not clear, as Zzzax approaches and strikes at both brutes. The Rick Hulk is able to recover, but the Gray Hulk has reverted back to Banner – with Zzzax vowing to kill this new creature.
    Commentary: My nostalgia glasses are fogging up with this batch of issues. I enjoyed the hell out of #321 to 327. The thrill of the hunt, the engaging story (at 10 ½, yeah, I loved it!!), the artwork…I was just stepping into a whole new world of comics, whereas before it was just a casual “Oh hey, Transformers or G.I. Joe at Circle K, can I get that?” I vividly remember going Back-To-School shopping at Shopko for jeans, and while my mom scoured the racks for Levis in a size they didn’t regularly carry. BAM! There’s #326, and I’m in awe of seeing a green and gray Hulk duking it out. We find the jeans and I get my comic…with the promise of mowing the lawn when we get home. Geiger still on pencils, but I preferred McLeod over Rubenstein as the inker. Again, while Milgrom gets beat up for his art, his story is pretty decent. The explanation for the green-to-gray reversion is solid. There’s no MPD/dissociative identity disorder in play here. It’s Bruce Banner and the Hulk. ONE Hulk. The color change is a representation of how much gamma radiation Banner had in his body. Less gamma equals a smarter, yet smaller and weaker gray Hulk, while more gamma equals a dull-witted, larger and stronger green Hulk. I know in one of the letter columns, they explained that the Hulk had reached a saturation point to where he wouldn’t grow in size/strength any further. Which is a good thing, he’s the Hulk, not King Kong. Oh, and a Fat-Head Alert on pages 1 and 3.

Kind of interesting that PAD pretty much wrote out the explanation 50 issues or so later when he brought back the Green Hulk, making it clear that Savage Hulk was an entirely different personality, and Grey Hulk wasn't a depowered version of him.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of interesting that PAD pretty much wrote out the explanation 50 issues or so later when he brought back the Green Hulk, making it clear that Savage Hulk was an entirely different personality, and Grey Hulk wasn't a depowered version of him.
    I don't know...perhaps less Gamma in the system enabled the Grey Hulk to return and, in this case, made the Savage Hulk temporarily inaccessible until which time Banner's body had again absorbed enough ambient Gamma to do so. It's not unheard-of to have physical changes affect the mind; more or less of a certain hormone (e.g. testosterone, cortisol, estrogen) can trigger different mental responses.

In fact, I do recall in one of the Hulk made-for-TV movies (yeah, yeah, I know...not to be taken as gospel for "our" guy, but hear me out) about how David Banner observed that his body "secretes a hormone and I become a mutant thing...a beast, until that rage ends." In the books, Samson synthesized a "Gamma epinephrine" that stimulated Banner's change without anger. Now, epinephrine is just another name for adrenaline, which is - you guessed it - another hormone! So, it seems reasonable to suggest the physical transformation is enabled by secretion of some Gamma-enhanced hormone not dissimilar to adrenaline. And less Gamma in the body, and hence, less potent hormone to trigger the change, resulted (at least initially) in a clearer-headed, yet still brutish, Grey Hulk.

Remember too that up until a little over a year before the Savage Hulk returned, the Grey Hulk/Fixit still referred to himself as the same character as the green, savage version. I do think the longer one form is out in the "real world," the more it is able to diversify from the other alters. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

~G.

Spectacular Member

[QUOTE=McFarlane's Green Hulk;5502513]
    Incredible Hulk #326
    “Desert Heat”

Cover Date: December 1986
    Sale Date: September 9th, 1986
    Writer: Al Milgrom
    Artist: Steve Geiger
    Inker: Joe Rubenstein
    Letterer: Rick Parker
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Doc Samson, Clay Quartermain, “Thunderbolt” Ross
    Villain: Zzzax
    Synopsis: Dawn in the New Mexico desert reveals the Hulk and Bruce Banner hurtling through the air. Yes. They appear to be separate beings again. But this Hulk is thinner, with long hair and green. The Hulk lands and a confused Banner begins bombarding the brute with questions. Suddenly he cries out in pain and transforms into Rick Jones. Banner is flabbergasted and we get a recap of the last couple of issues along with an explanation on what has happened to Rick and Bruce himself. Rick became a Hulk by absorbing gamma radiation from Banner during the Nutrient Bath accident, resulting in the Hulk reverting to his original gray-skinned form. In a nutshell; less gamma meant a smarter, weaker gray Hulk. More gamma meant a duller, stronger green Hulk. As to why Rick became a green Hulk? Well, it’s been established that gamma rays affect everyone differently, sooooo, we’ll go with that. More banter between Bruce and Rick, who is now expressing horror at becoming a Hulk (whereas back in #269, he was trying to do it on purpose!) Bruce vows to help find a cure for Rick and the two try to make their way to the old desert hideout before sundown. Back at Gamma Base, we see a distraught Betty try to encourage some action on finding her husband. Ross hits up Quartermain about going forward with “conditioning” and we see Ross strapped into a contraption next to Zzzax. The purpose is to infuse Ross with Zzzaz’s living electricity! Back in the desert, Bruce and Rick are succumbing to the heat and both begin to hallucinate; Banner flashing back to his traumatic childhood and Rick seeing two Hulks battling it out, with only one coming out as the victor. Cut back to Gamma Base, and the Ross experiment quickly backfires, as Zzzax absorbs Ross’ mind and escapes, intent on finding and killing the Hulk. Hours later, we see Bruce and Rick in front of the old cave just prior to sundown. The fever dreams wasted precious time, and as the two shake hands in solidarity, they both transform into their hulking alter-egos. The Rick Hulk quickly loses control while the Banner Hulk maintains his sinister, brutish intelligence and a lopsided battle ensues. How long they fight is not clear, as Zzzax approaches and strikes at both brutes. The Rick Hulk is able to recover, but the Gray Hulk has reverted back to Banner – with Zzzax vowing to kill this new creature.
    Commentary: My nostalgia glasses are fogging up with this batch of issues. I enjoyed the hell out of #321 to 327. The thrill of the hunt, the engaging story (at 10 ½, yeah, I loved it!!), the artwork…I was just stepping into a whole new world of comics, whereas before it was just a casual “Oh hey, Transformers or G.I. Joe at Circle K, can I get that?” I vividly remember going Back-To-School shopping at Shopko for jeans, and while my mom scoured the racks for Levis in a size they didn’t regularly carry. BAM! There’s #326, and I’m in awe of seeing a green and gray Hulk duking it out. We find the jeans and I get my comic…with the promise of mowing the lawn when we get home. Geiger still on pencils, but I preferred McLeod over Rubenstein as the inker. Again, while Milgrom gets beat up for his art, his story is pretty decent. The explanation for the green-to-gray reversion is solid. There’s no MPD/dissociative identity disorder in play here. It’s Bruce Banner and the Hulk. ONE Hulk. The color change is a representation of how much gamma radiation Banner had in his body. Less gamma equals a smarter, yet smaller and weaker gray Hulk, while more gamma equals a dull-witted, larger and stronger green Hulk. I know in one of the letter columns, they explained that the Hulk had reached a saturation point to where he wouldn’t grow in size/strength any further. Which is a good thing, he’s the Hulk, not King Kong. Oh, and a Fat-Head Alert on pages 1 and 3.

To complicate things, he actually returns in TIH 323. Remained green until nutrient bath in 324.

Does anyone know where PAD's novel What Savage Beast fits in with his run?
    Even though it's probably not officially 616 canon I expect it does still fit in. I'm gearing up to do a PAD Hulk re-read and would like to slot it in as part of the read.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Abominations and Doom's Day Spider-Man team up novel as well for placement?
    Thanks for any help!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Does anyone know where PAD's novel What Savage Beast fits in with his run?
    Even though it's probably not officially 616 canon I expect it does still fit in. I'm gearing up to do a PAD Hulk re-read and would like to slot it in as part of the read.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Abominations and Doom's Day Spider-Man team up novel as well for placement?
    Thanks for any help!
    I suspect that What Savage Beast fits in the timeframe of issues 427-437, when Merged Hulk and Betty were living in Florida, I believe, after the collapse of the pantheon. Merged hulk was also transforming into the Savage Hulk personality in Bruce’s body when he become enraged during this time as well. So the novel has to taken place before the “ Ghost of the Future” storyline, specifically issue #438, since that’s when the Savage Banner transformation goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    I suspect that What Savage Beast fits in the timeframe of issues 427-437, when Merged Hulk and Betty were living in Florida, I believe, after the collapse of the pantheon. Merged hulk was also transforming into the Savage Hulk personality in Bruce’s body when he become enraged during this time as well. So the novel has to taken place before the “ Ghost of the Future” storyline, specifically issue #438, since that’s when the Savage Banner transformation goes away.
    Thanks, that is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post

GAMMA FLIGHT #2 (OF 5)

AL EWING & CRYSTAL FRASIER (W) • LAN MEDINA (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Connecting Variant Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG
    THE BIGGEST REVEAL OF THE SUMMER!
    Who is after Gamma Flight? You’ve been calling for them since IMMORTAL HULK’s early days — well, True Believer, we’re here to deliver. Come to GAMMA FLIGHT for all the radioactive wonder you’ve been missing — and the characters you love to hate.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...solicitations/

That does look like it could be Skaar. I really hope it is. He is long overdue for a comeback and I'm hoping that Ewing does him justice. Gamma Flight looks like its going to be fun. I think Ewing has the voices of Puck, Titania, Absorbing Man, etc. all down and I'm glad they have been getting some development these past few years.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    That does look like it could be Skaar. I really hope it is. He is long overdue for a comeback and I'm hoping that Ewing does him justice. Gamma Flight looks like its going to be fun. I think Ewing has the voices of Puck, Titania, Absorbing Man, etc. all down and I'm glad they have been getting some development these past few years.
    With everything we've seen from Ewing, I'm sure He can write the best Skaar yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    With everything we've seen from Ewing, I'm sure He can write the best Skaar yet.
    I agree and that's why my hopes are high. I really like what Ewing has done for Hulk and his mythos and if he can incorporate Skaar into all of it then I'm definitely for it.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Hulk smashes into Avengers for Marvel's Free Comic Book Day 2021 titles

This August's Avengers/Hulk one-shot from Marvel on Free Comic Book Day will be setting up "new things for 2022" at Marvel - including a seemingly new multiversal organization, and a being called Avenger Prime.

"In a land beyond time, a shining tower stands, deploying its operatives across the Multiverse to hold against the encroaching darkness!" reads Marvel's description of FCBD's Avengers/Hulk one-shot. "Who is the mysterious Avenger Prime, and how will his advent impact on the past, the present, and the very future of the mighty Avengers?"

Although they share a name, Marvel's description appears to imply this isn't the Avenger Prime who appeared in Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers run - since we know who they were.

In their sole appearance in 2014's Mighty Avengers #14, Avenger Prime was a Voltron-like merging of the Mighty Avengers team created to battle a similarly Voltron-ed Deathwalker Prime (made up, of course, of Deathwalkers). Following Avenger Prime winning, the being was disassembled back into the individual heroes.

FCBD 2021's Avengers/Hulk lead story will be written by longtime Avengers writer Jason Aaron, with Marvel Stormbreakers artist Iban Coello (Venom) joining him.

Over on Jason Aaron's blog, the writer describes Avengers/Hulk as one of several imminent storylines that are building to something major for Marvel in 2022 - beginning with the just-announced 'World War She-Hulk.'

"['World War She-Hulk'] was the first Avengers arc I wrote in 2021, in this new year so full of promise. But it represents a shift to a darker tone for the series, as I begin to tie together some of the book's ongoing threads," Aaron writes.

"The entire arc is actually already written, and I've moved on to the gargantuan issue #50, which is bursting with all sorts of explosions and epic madness that will set up some new things for 2022. The Free Comic Book Day Avengers issue will be a big piece of that as well."

Both of Marvel's Free Comic Book Day 2021 stories - Avengers/Hulk and Spider-Man/Venom - will contain two stories. While Aaron and Coello are already confirmed for the Avengers story in Avengers/Hulk, the creative teams for Hulk story, and the entirety of Spider-Man/Venom has not been specified. Marvel has said Chip Zdarsky and Greg Smallwood are both working on something for these one-shots, but haven't gone into detail on what.

"These exciting tales will provide perfect entry points for new readers to the thrilling ongoing sagas of the Avengers, Spider-Man, Venom, and the Hulk and give comic fans their first glimpse at the exciting new eras for their favorite characters," Marvel states in a press release. "These issues will shape the Marvel Universe as we know it with direct connections to the year’s biggest upcoming storylines."

https://www.gamesradar.com/avengers-...-special-more/