Page 85 of 147 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2204

Kind of funny that you're on this issue/storyline and that preview comes out with Joe and Betty.... (BTW if there was any doubt the current Hulk is a green Joe, the preview pretty much clears it up).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    I would guess a few weeks. Mostly because of Betty’s pregnancy. She and Bruce had sex right before the Ground Zero storyline started, so if several months were going by, she would physically be showing, even just a little. And going by the art and dialogue, that’s not the case.
    I was thinking 6-9 weeks, there's an unknown gap between when Betty and Ramon snuck out of the hospital and her cameo in #339 when she was wearing just the arm brace and complaining of nausea. If she was really that injured during the transformation in #334, I think she'd be wearing those bandages and stuff a bit longer. By #340, no bandages and she'd been on a spending spree of sorts for another unknown period of time.
    It's the hair that gets me. Pretty short and her sudden appearance in #343 had it pretty long. I've grown my hair out several times over the years and it took me months to get that fluffed out mid-80's Ric Flair fluff going.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That would be insane if so, I need to see Skaar’s reaction if it happens lol. Has Bruce spoilers:
    ever had a kid with Betty in any Elseworlds or whatever Marvel calls them? I only know of Hulk raping Jen (thanks Millar) in Old Man Logan
    end of spoilers
    The novel "What Savage Beast".

Incredible Hulk #344
    “Pyrrhic Victory”

Cover Date: June 1988
    Sale Date: February 16th, 1988
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Todd McFarlane
    Inker: Bob Wiacek
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Clay Quartermain, the Leader
    Villains: Rock and Redeemer
    Synopsis: Rock and Redeemer are sent out to steal a gamma bomb from the Yuma Arizona Military Base as Bruce and Betty begin their reconciliation. The story is narrated by Betty and we learn on the 3rd page that she is pregnant, but is having a difficult time trying to tell Bruce. Rick and Clay catch a Robocop showing and Clay has reservations about Betty’s appearance slowing them down, so he’s declaring that they should steal a gamma bomb and show the world what’s going on. Back to Bruce and Betty, where she says that their discussion has gone as far as it can, and that she is going to wait for sunset and talk to the Hulk. Bruce is against it, but she threatens to leave him for good if he leaves. An hour later, Bruce transforms and the Hulk surprisingly stays to “chat”. The discussion is taken to a cliff area, where they exchange words – with the Hulk denying any responsibility for hurting her back in #334. Ramon is brought up, sparking a bit of a jealous reaction from the brute and Betty makes her move in wanting to see a little bit of Banner in him. The Hulk is fed up and before he can leap away, Betty admits her pregnancy. Rather than leap away, he cradles her in his massive arms.
    Commentary: Poppa Hulk! I’ve never read anything on what PAD’s plans were for Betty’s baby were. The being spying on the Leader was either supposed to Gorsham, the Grand Inquisitor or Psyclop, I forget which. I read somewhere many years ago that it was an artistic goof, as plot/script left it pretty vague on how to depict them. According to Todd in his bio art book, he talked to Bob Harras about really cutting loose with his storytelling and panel structures. He wanted the Hulk to look massive compared to a normal human, and the Hulk/Betty cliff conversation was the result. I remember this was my first purchase at one of local comic shops, which ended up being my favorite until he closed up in 1997. The owner ended up getting an engineering degree and became a fab engineer at Micron Technology. (Ironically, a few months later, I was hired at Micron and worked in the Test department.) It was during his closing sales that I picked up Hulk #180 for $35 (at 75% off!)…and somewhere in a memory box, I still have the flyer he sent out to the customers.

I love how in this thread there is this one guy , no matter what the conversation is just posts some random issue and cover from hundreds of years ago. No one ever comments on it but there he is, just appreciating the **** outta hulk for ever and ever lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I love how in this thread there is this one guy , no matter what the conversation is just posts some random issue and cover from hundreds of years ago. No one ever comments on it but there he is, just appreciating the **** outta hulk for ever and ever lmao.
    Wdym... he goes issue by issue, not random. And people do comment. I personally pretty like it even if I never read old issues of Hulk.

Honestly, before I did this, all I did was post vintage Hulk stuff that wasn't commonly seen. And mainly to keep bumping the thread up for conversation purposes. That route dried up pretty quick and I stumbled across someone doing reviews like this on the X-Forum and thought maybe this would be a better outlet instead of posting another Sal Buscema/Ernie Chan panel.
    I do admit I sometimes feel bad when the Immortal Hulk talk is steady, I usually try to time my posts when the thread has had time to cool down or it's been a couple of days. Because of my work schedule, and how fast or behind I am on write-ups, I try to keep them on a Thursday or a Friday.
    I would like to be able to do it in the format 616 Leap Year does his - he's able to get a ****-ton more panels in. I hate having a limitation on the images for these reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #344
    “Pyrrhic Victory”

Cover Date: June 1988
    Sale Date: February 16th, 1988
    Artist: Todd McFarlane
    Inker: Bob Wiacek

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Clay Quartermain, the Leader
    Villains: Rock and Redeemer
    Synopsis: Rock and Redeemer are sent out to steal a gamma bomb from the Yuma Arizona Military Base as Bruce and Betty begin their reconciliation. The story is narrated by Betty and we learn on the 3rd page that she is pregnant, but is having a difficult time trying to tell Bruce. Rick and Clay catch a Robocop showing and Clay has reservations about Betty’s appearance slowing them down, so he’s declaring that they should steal a gamma bomb and show the world what’s going on. Back to Bruce and Betty, where she says that their discussion has gone as far as it can, and that she is going to wait for sunset and talk to the Hulk. Bruce is against it, but she threatens to leave him for good if he leaves. An hour later, Bruce transforms and the Hulk surprisingly stays to “chat”. The discussion is taken to a cliff area, where they exchange words – with the Hulk denying any responsibility for hurting her back in #334. Ramon is brought up, sparking a bit of a jealous reaction from the brute and Betty makes her move in wanting to see a little bit of Banner in him. The Hulk is fed up and before he can leap away, Betty admits her pregnancy. Rather than leap away, he cradles her in his massive arms.
    Commentary: Poppa Hulk! I’ve never read anything on what PAD’s plans were for Betty’s baby were. The being spying on the Leader was either supposed to Gorsham, the Grand Inquisitor or Psyclop, I forget which. I read somewhere many years ago that it was an artistic goof, as plot/script left it pretty vague on how to depict them. According to Todd in his bio art book, he talked to Bob Harras about really cutting loose with his storytelling and panel structures. He wanted the Hulk to look massive compared to a normal human, and the Hulk/Betty cliff conversation was the result. I remember this was my first purchase at one of local comic shops, which ended up being my favorite until he closed up in 1997. The owner ended up getting an engineering degree and became a fab engineer at Micron Technology. (Ironically, a few months later, I was hired at Micron and worked in the Test department.) It was during his closing sales that I picked up Hulk #180 for $35 (at 75% off!)…and somewhere in a memory box, I still have the flyer he sent out to the customers.

Ewing is such a good writer, he makes long time Hulk fans appreciate the older runs and newer folks dig in these issues to see some of the writing beats he includes in the new run. I hope Marvel takes note of this and really tries to find writers that have the balance of new and older stories.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I have an answer but I can't remember how to code for spoilers...
    [ spoil ] [ /spoil ] (with no spaces between your brackets and the word "spoil".)

Then put your dialogue between the closing brackets and spoil away! You can also look at people's code after clicking Reply With Quote to see how they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    My iPhone can never read spoilers - it’s just a big yellow box. On my desktop all I do is highlight and I can see them…Any ideas how to read spoilers on mobile devices?
    On my phone I just click Reply With Quote, read it, and then cancel the message so I don't respond if there's nothing I wanna say.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-04-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Someone's gotta. Hulk deserves it.

Spectacular Member

My iPhone can never read spoilers - it’s just a big yellow box. On my desktop all I do is highlight and I can see them…Any ideas how to read spoilers on mobile devices?

I highlight and copy entire box. Then paste it to my notes. Will show up there.

Fantastic Member

Easiest way on Android tablet, is to hold then select all. It will highlight everything of course, including the spoilers.

Not sure if it works the same on iPhone.

Fantastic Member

Thank you guys - re: iPhones not reading spoilers -

FrazettaHulk - I do that too! - what a pain!

xcoijoi - Unfortunately doesn't seem to work on iPhones.

I'm a Fish - I may start trying this - it does work, but again ... what an extra step!
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Incredible Hulk #345
    “Closing Curtain”

Cover Date: July 1988
    Sale Date: March 15th, 1988
    Breakdowns: Todd McFarlane
    Finishes/inks: Jim Saunders III and Chris Ivy

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Clay Quartermain, Nick Fury, Rock, Redeemer, various citizens of Middletown.
    Villain: The Leader
    Synopsis: The story begins with the introduction of various citizens of Middletown; a priest who has been stealing money from the church, a disgruntled defense attorney and a defiant teenage girl. The Leader, meanwhile, is putting his plans into action. Cut to a flabbergasted Rick Jones finding out that Betty is pregnant, which scares the beejeezus out of Clay, who thinks they are under attack. The story is narrated by Bruce, so we get his POV on the situation, including to the less than stellar look on Betty’s face about the pregnancy. The group then hears about the raid at the Yuma Base and arrive later that day. They tour the facility and are shocked to see the enormous stockpile of gamma bombs. They then review footage of the raid and are shocked and puzzled after identifying the intruders as Craig Saunders and John LaRoquette in super powered outfits. Cut to Rock and Redeemer taking out a Hulk robot and begging for some action against the real Hulk. Back in Arizona, Banner and company decide the best course of action is to wait until sunset and have the Hulk destroy the bombs. Suddenly, the Leader interrupts the local radio and admits that the bomb is located in Middletown and set to detonate at 10pm. Rick and Clay think it’s a distraction from the stockpile, but Bruce convinces them otherwise. More interaction with Middletown citizens as their actions become more serious throughout the day. Bruce and company arrive and are shocked to find the town completely oblivious to the events of the last couple of days. Banner concludes during a suspicious phone call with the mayor that the Leader is the one intercepting phone calls, jamming and faking TV broadcasts and faking the local newspaper. The mayor has had enough and orders them out of town. As they leave, Clay gets on the van’s loudspeaker and declares a warning to anyone listening. Cops are called but the sun sets and the Hulk spooks them away. Rick tells the Hulk about the Leader’s subtle hint as to the bomb’s location in the textile factory. He takes the van and leaps away, snapping the wheels so they can’t follow. Betty assumes he did it to protect them but the narration, now in the Hulk’s POV, says he did it because he wants the Leader himself and doesn’t want the others to ruin it for him. Clay gets desperate and calls SHIELD. The Hulk breaks into the factory and plays the recording left by the Leader, which was recorded during his battle with Half-Life a few issues ago. Tensions build as we see more of the Middletown characters situations. The Hulk listens to the Leader’s tape, and is ambushed by Rock and Redeemer as it ends. A back n’ forth ensues and Redeemer is killed by Rock (with the Hulk’s help). Rock is next but before the Hulk can finish him off, the Leader arrives, the gamma bomb next to him. A mind trick has the Hulk believing the Leader to grow in size and strength long enough for Rock to recover and viciously stab him from behind. The villains take their leave, and the wounded and bleeding Hulk slowly crawls to the gamma bomb. The Leader, seeing the Hulk’s recovery, initiates the rest of his plan. Force fields around town suddenly turn on, preventing SHIELD from getting in and from townsfolk from getting out. The Hulk reaches the bomb, the Leader set it off and just before it explodes, he quietly mutters Betty’s name…and we are treated to the horrified faces of Rick, Clay and Betty as the town explodes in a massive green explosion.
    Commentary: Dramatic ending to a storyline that’s been building since issue #334. Artistically, it could and should have been better. McFarlane was penciling Hulk and Amazing Spider-Man, inking his own work and Marvel was doing the summer “on sale twice a month!” gimmick. This was a double-sized issue, and I’m sure he was burning the midnight oil with both books, even if he was only providing breakdowns. Way back in 2003, I recall reading an interview with Todd on some obscure website that he called Harras about leaving the Hulk. Bob convinced him to stay for the Hulk/Thing fight, but after a conversation with PAD, he left with this issue. Something was said, I think it was about all the money he’s taking out of his pocket by leaving before the big Hulk/Thing fight being planned for issue #350. Todd didn’t take too kindly to that and it solidified his decision to leave. The letter column makes no mention of what will happen next and there is no next issue blurb at the bottom of the double page spread, so I literally thought the book was done and over with! This also came out after I got a D and F in a couple of my 6th grade courses, so my ever-growing pile of comics was hidden from me until I got them back to a B. I had to BEG to get this issue…

I think at the time some readers thought that the gamma would make him a new kind of Hulk, not have him get transported out to Jarella's place and eventually arrive in Vegas with a nickname and a job.

Funny thing is with what we now know he probably would've survived anyway.....