Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think today's issue of Green Lantern was pretty good, and honestly I appreciated how Thorne/Redjack divided up the story between John and Jo as their narratives are equally important to the main plot and this way no one is left out for an issue. For those who don't know what I mean, the front half of the book is focused solely on John Stewart and all those who are with him while the back half switches over to Jo, Simon, and Keli with how they start to deal with the aftermath of last issue. So with that instead of writing up another discussion thread I'm just going talk here if that is okay.

I'll start with John if that is okay, but bear in mind that it can be a tad confusing but suffice to say that this is getting us closer to what we saw in Future State. John basically is put in a type of mind machine and it gives us a flashback of sorts to what happened after the 1000 corpsmen got to the dark sector and of course the lost of his ring. But of course even with out a ring you can't take the green lantern out of John so by the end of the issue he makes a mock Green Lantern/almost star trek looking suit, hover boots, and a gun to go save people from the warriors who worshiped the God in Red on his own who he might have underestimated. Basically I think we should expect the start to Warrior Strategist John that we saw in January and February, although personally I like seeing him have fun with those hover boots because IÂ’d do the exact same thing. An odd thing though is we don't know how long its been, he wakes up with a beard and then it skips 145 days (almost 5 months) so essentially John's been without a ring for what about 6 months if the math adds up which I'm not sure how that adds up with Jo, plus it seems like there may be a time issue in the Dark Sector. I think we should keep an eye on timelines but who knows what is going on with the surviving quest lanterns in all this time.

Now onto Jo who may require some big spoiler boxes for her part of the story because she's got a lot on her shoulders. Because not only is she the only active green lantern on Oa because of her unique ring but she's got to deal with the politics of the United Planets which she is not cool with. I guess the Guardians are also gone or something, it's not clear what happened to them when the battery went Boom, though I assume they are dead. Anyway besides finding the wounded and injured and having to work with the United Planets to find missing or dead lanterns out in space, she's also working with Simon, now with an upgraded arm gun instead of a pistol, to find out what the hell happened to the Battery.

However there are some big surprises here or there and I will say read at own risk of spoilers, because we see some of the other lanterns this issue.

spoilers:
    Kyle Rayner is seen on a slab with his ring contained, so he's alive but captured, Arisia looks to be floating in the vacuum of space, and as for others we see some dead in space or fighting/surviving on remote worlds

However probably the most important Jo is broadcasting on the Lantern radio via her ring that any lanterns still with power should stay away, because for now whoever did this is focused on her as the sole lantern but if they don't hear from her then they should come back to avenge OA, and we see that the one listening to Jo in non-other then a still active and powered up Hal Jordan back at Justice League HQ.
    end of spoilers

Overall I do really like how this issue was setup, I appreciate that we get an even sharing of John and Jo which I hope continues on. I think both are dealing with big issues and I look forward to seeing how this all goes down for the Lantern Corps.
    I'm enjoying Green Lantern a lot. Writing wise I'm not sure who I like more right now, Wonder Woman or GL. The story has a lot of heart so far.

I agree that parting the story keeps it focused. It's neat.

This is the first time I'm reading a GL comic with John, so it's cool to learn more about him. The consistent feeding of backstory into the story is very much appreciated by me.

I'm glad Jo has made the jump into the wider DCU. Seeing her be so dismissive toward the Council made me laugh. The City Enduring must have really soured her on Councils. Rightfully so.

Giving Simon a gun again is interesting. In this case it fits, I think and shows how far he has come instead of being a regression.

Keli and he are also just really precious. This trio will be good.

Keli's trauma reaction really hit home how devastating the events have been, imo.

spoilers:
    Good to know that it's in fact Kyle. I wasn't sure.
    end of spoilers

just gonna re-post my thoughts from the John thread.

"This was the issue that's finally captured my attention. I enjoyed John's part, personally I would be more into John ending up with the Avatar alien (I forget her name) over the Hawkgirl stand-in honestly; I dig his dynamic with her and her kid. I REALLY didn't like the passage of time bit only because the conversation flowing across days took me out of it. it would've been better if they just got that part of the exposition out the way before the montage and have them taking about different things each time jump to show their rapport evolving instead. the way that specific part was handled was just poor in my opinion but it's a small part of a largely really solid story.

I really liked Jo's part, I felt this issue did a good job showing off her character. I like that Simon is teaming up with her and I felt him being mentally prepared for the ring failing and being quick to upgrade with a cybernetic gun was a nice touch; it was a solid call back to his run in Green Lanterns. I also thought the Hal scene was a very clever way if keeping him relevant but on the back burner (just for now) while we let the others shine, since we're coming off his solo run. I was passively interested before (because I've been pretty starved for decent to good John content) but I'm definitely a bit more actively interested now."
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

FWIW, when I saw Arisia, it didn't seem like open space to me - it wouldn't surprise me if she floating in some weird place, alive but stranded. (maybe it's just wishful thinking, but to me she didn't seem dead, unlike Isamot Kol)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-01-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FWIW, when I saw Arisia, it didn't seem like open space to me - it wouldn't surprise me if she floating in some weird place, alive but stranded. (maybe it's just wishful thinking, but to me she didn't seem dead, unlike Isamot Kol)
    I forgot this earlier, but her species has some kind of regeneration ability, which is how she came back from a previous death. So maybe it could be enough to cancel out being in open space?

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/graxonites/4060-58790/
    Graxonites have the ability to recover from great injury that would otherwise kill a human being. They enter a death-like state while their body repairs itself.

While living on Earth, Arisia was believed to be murdered by Major Force. Years later Hal Jordan discovered her unconscious body, along with the Lost Lanterns, on the Manhunter home planet, Biot. It turned out her body was healing itself after she was buried and Cyborg Superman had her taken to Biot.
    I guess there's hope.

To me its same as Kyle in last issue, Arisia is not a no-name GL that you can randomly show being dead in one panel and move on. If she dies we will get at least few pages showing it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To me its same as Kyle in last issue, Arisia is not a no-name GL that you can randomly show being dead in one panel and move on. If she dies we will get at least few pages showing it.
    So you're assuming she's not dead until they explicitly confirm it, if I'm reading you right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    So you're assuming she's not dead until they explicitly confirm it, if I'm reading you right?
    Well, yeah, that makes sense since comics regularly do fakeouts like that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Well, yeah, that makes sense since comics regularly do fakeouts like that.
    As I said, I guess theres a possibility survival, mainly because of the regen thing from her graxiomite biology, but at the same time I'm quite skittish and and it doesn't look good/ Kyle had two members from the omega men with him at least while Arisia is just shown free floating in space at what I thought was almost surely dead, and given I'd forgotten about her species having a regen ability I have to wonder if DC remembers. But at least there's more hope than I thought there was yesterday.

Incredible Member

I'm sorry, but could you explain your reasoning a little more? To me it looked like a nebula in the background, which is still open space. And I'd be interested in hearing any visual cues you picked which make you think she could be alive. The more I've been stewing over this the past few days I find myself becoming less hopeful and more depressed as I think over it.

Honestly, it's mostly wishful thinking. Remember when she was "killed" in "Edge of Oblivion" for shock value? I'm going to hold out hope until it's verified. Otherwise, it's a pretty crappy way to ditch a character with as much history as Arisia - bad enough she'd been relegated to background extra the past what, ten years?

Incredible Member

Honestly, it's mostly wishful thinking. Remember when she was "killed" in "Edge of Oblivion" for shock value? I'm going to hold out hope until it's verified. Otherwise, it's a pretty crappy way to ditch a character with as much history as Arisia - bad enough she'd been relegated to background extra the past what, ten years?
    I see. Yeah I remember her getting blasted in EoO and just reappearing with out explanation at the beginning of Hal's rebirth series more or less Ok. That might have had to do with the writer turnover from Tom Taylor to Rob Venditi. It sucks we might have to wait for for the next writer to fix this and bring her back which could be a while, and even that's a crapshoot, as there's never a guarantee she'll be be resurrected if she is dead. She shouldn't be treated so disposably. This has me really soured on things right now.

I'm pretty sure they did have an in-story explanation then - that Arisia was transported rather than killed.

Incredible Member

I'm pretty sure they did have an in-story explanation then - that Arisia was transported rather than killed.
    I didn't remember it but it makes sense. A character being apparently vaporized is easy to retcon as being teleported. I'm afraid this might be harder to retcon and work around. I guess our best hope is somehow her Graxiomite regeneration ability would somehow allow her to survive in a vacuum.

Astonishing Member

I hate it when popular characters are jobbed out to make a villain look more powerful and then to in turn make the hero of choice look better. I remember being mad when Hollika Rahn was indiscriminately killed to prop up Grayven to in turn prop up Kyle but then again many characters had to job during the Kyle era. What I respected about the Johns' era was he didn't feel the need to fridge Kyle to elevate Hal.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 06-04-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

I love Arisia, she is my favorite female Lantern, one of my favorite moments of the Johns' run was finding out she was alive and a prisoner of the manhunters. I for one always preferred Hal with Arisia over Carol. So I too highly doubt she is dead (& if so not for long)

On a 2nd note, the depowered Lantern Corp storyline has been overused so much recently, it is becoming a trope. Lantern fans are fans of characters being Lanterns not depowered or as something else. I bought Hal as Spectre but never enjoyed it as much as Hal as GL. Pre-crisis Hal gave up the ring and took on predator/star sapphire but I wasn't happy until he got his ring back. Green Lantern fans don't want that title to not have Green Lanterns in it.