Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Alan to every other human GL: You kids need to either step up or step out!

Alan to John Stewart: We cool.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Alan to Hal: You're...okay.
    Lol!

The sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    was reading a thread about Didio era and something occurred to me. IF DC is planning a big reboot in the next three years, could the current GL writer be being set up to fail? As much as I was not a fan of the Kyle era, except for Darryl Banks and the armor and a few fresh rogues; during its' last two years something happened to the book. Kyle was exiled to space and taken away from all the things that made Kyle special by the people who loved the character. Nothing memorable happened and then REBIRTH. I understand wanting a big change to hit with a splash and not wanting people bemoaning the old when you drop in with the new. Hal's return was big but it didn't seem like there was much pushback from the Kyle crew because in fact they were glad he wasn't turned psycho or killed off, but also the Kyle of the last couple of years wasn't Kyle anyway. Now DC is once again getting rid of the corps and lots of things that fans of the franchise love about the franchise some for editorial (re not the writers idea) reasons. Is he being set up to fail, like a transition champion in pro wrestling? Only for the big splash of someone bringing back all the things you love about Green Lantern the corps, your favorite characters returned to GL status. It just feels like I have seen this movie before with this franchise. Hal gives up the ring for about a year and John is the main GL with a little Guy on the side during crisis and the BOOM a team book with all your favorite GL's together. Or Kyle exiled to space in a Jim Lee suit and no memorable stories for about a year and then bam REBIRTH or even how nothing of note was going on in Gerard Jones' Green Lantern with Hal after the Third Law around issue #35 until on issue #47 Emerald Twilight. I don't know how John fans feel but I didn't care for Hal without the ring era pre Crisis or as the Specter or just Hal Jordan pilot in Flashpoint. Yes GL's are more than just their rings but the rings are major part of what makes the franchise enjoyable.
    I don't think that they are planning it, but we might get it. After second issue I think I wrote that this is either going to be one of the best GL runs or a trainwreck and brushed aside very quickly. So if it ends up being bad then DC might as well reboot GL franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Alan to every other human GL: You kids need to either step up or step out!

Alan to John Stewart: We cool.
    Well, John is closest to Alan in terms of personality, so it makes sense. They even have similar jobs: engineer vs architect.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Well, John is closest to Alan in terms of personality, so it makes sense. They even have similar jobs: engineer vs architect.
    Did they interact much when they were supporting characters in Kyle's book? Or were they more like ships passing in the night?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did they interact much when they were supporting characters in Kyle's book? Or were they more like ships passing in the night?
    Not really. Everyone was standing around servicing Kyle and his very 90s man-pain during that time. John was stuck in the "black best friend" role, Jade was the hot girlfriend, Alan was the girlfriend's father/mentor figure, and Guy was the ******* uncle.

...it was not a particularly great time for anyone who wasn't called Kyle Rayner.

Of course Alan and Hal/Guy probably have the best personality contrast.

BANNED

Of course Alan and Hal/Guy probably have the best personality contrast.
    Yes, exactly.

Same thing with the Flashes, where Wally and Bart are closer to the Golden Age version of Jay than Barry.

The Silver Age creators seemed to want to contrast their characters with whomever came before. Then the folks who came after had to contrast with the Silver Age folks.

Jay's personality has shifted from his earlier adventures, but the Earth 2 version returns to something closer to the original.

Yes, exactly.

Same thing with the Flashes, where Wally and Bart are closer to the Golden Age version of Jay than Barry.

The Silver Age creators seemed to want to contrast their characters with whomever came before. Then the folks who came after had to contrast with the Silver Age folks.

Jay's personality has shifted from his earlier adventures, but the Earth 2 version returns to something closer to the original.

That scene actually reminds me a lot of Silver Age Barry and Iris...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I miss her...

I miss her...
    R.I.P space barbarian.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    R.I.P space barbarian.

John looks totally uncool with that head gear.

Astonishing Member

Boodikka yet another cool lantern destroyed for a meh storyline that had no lasting anything. Titans fans complain about them being cannon fodder but the GLC has a long history of it too and in both franchises a lot of characters are resurrected after silly storyline is sent to the trash bin.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Boodikka yet another cool lantern destroyed for a meh storyline that had no lasting anything. Titans fans complain about them being cannon fodder but the GLC has a long history of it too and in both franchises a lot of characters are resurrected after silly storyline is sent to the trash bin.
    I loved that Johns brought back the "Lost Lanterns", many of whom were my favorites. But in hindsight it was all just a way for him to get rid of a bunch of GL's he didn't create and make room for more Rainbow Corpsmen. The "Alpha Lanterns" arc being the cherry on top...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I loved that Johns brought back the "Lost Lanterns", many of whom were my favorites. But in hindsight it was all just a way for him to get rid of a bunch of GL's he didn't create and make room for more Rainbow Corpsmen. The "Alpha Lanterns" arc being the cherry on top...
    Well, at least they stayed a live a bit longer as Alpha Lanterns...if you can call that living.