Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Isn’t Arisa’s power to adapt and survive harsh elements and attacks near death? Because I’m pretty sure that’s how she survived the whole Parallax thing.
    That was theorized on how she could have survived when we just saw her body floating in space, then next issue she was listed as "Confirmed Dead" when Jo was going through reports

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    When Hal attained Godhood during the "Darkseid War" he brought back John and the rest. Perhaps resurrection is one of John's new powers? (bring on Katma!)
    I guess that's kind of what I'm hoping for. John uses his powers to revive and restore everybody's rings. I guess that means Jessica would also be going back to Green then as I can't think of why she'd stay yellow once the GL powers are running again. I'm wondering if then this would have been planned from the start or a ressurrection/repowering would be in response to low sales of the title so far. Of course this is assuming they're undoing at least some of the kill off.

Maybe John will decide not to be a "god" or whatever. Then again, if that would happen...what would be the point of the whole story of this current run? Or half the story, at least? Then again, I don't know if I actually expect these comics to do common sense type of things, so who knows
    It's possible that giving up his god powers could be a trade off for pressing the reset button and bringing everyone back.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I guess that's kind of what I'm hoping for. John uses his powers to revive and restore everybody's rings. I guess that means Jessica would also be going back to Green then as I can't think of why she'd stay yellow once the GL powers are running again. I'm wondering if then this would have been planned from the start or a ressurrection/repowering would be in response to low sales of the title so far. Of course this is assuming they're undoing at least some of the kill off.
    Not at all. The arc was already planned to last 12 issues. IIRC writers usually write stories in at least 3 months of issues in advance before the next issue is released. I doubt writers and editors would revert their plans in a current story arc that's ongoing, because they received negative feedback from a few readers on what happened to Arisia. And given how the writer said the sales are fine, doesn't seem to be the case.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Not at all. The arc was already planned to last 12 issues. IIRC writers usually write stories in at least 3 months of issues in advance before the next issue is released. I doubt writers and editors would revert their plans in a current story arc that's ongoing, because they received negative feedback from a few readers on what happened to Arisia. And given how the writer said the sales are fine, doesn't seem to be the case.
    Well she was killed off way back around issue 3 or 4, so they had time to make course correction if DC editorial feels this isn't working and they need to make changes or hit the rest button, and despite claims that the sales where fine, they really don't look like it when you look at how it's been placing on the sales charts and estimates. Them deciding that getting rid of the corp and the mass kill off was a mistake that can undo to try to get readers back isn't far fetched.

And regardless, they better undo Arisia's death, because otherwise I'm not picking up the book until it is undone.

Well she was killed off way back around issue 3 or 4, so they had time to make course correction if DC editorial feels this isn't working and they need to make changes or hit the rest button, and despite claims that the sales where fine, they really don't look like it when you look at how it's been placing on the sales charts and estimates. Them deciding that getting rid of the corp and the mass kill off was a mistake that can undo to try to get readers back isn't far fetched.

And regardless, they better undo Arisia's death, because otherwise I'm not picking up the book until it is undone.
    I understand what you're saying here. There's no doubt that editors reverted some tragic events, due to negative feedback in the past. I agree with that. But they usually happen after a story arc has been finished, not during an ongoing story arc. And yes, she was confirmed dead way back in the earlier issues, either 3 or 4. The writer said the sales were fine then based off of his sources (not Comichron) months later, which was waaaaaay after her death was confirmed in issue 3 or 4. It's why I said I doubt that's the case. If she comes back, it's because she was already planned to come back from the start. And plus, social media only accounts for a small fraction in overall sales, so it's very negligible.

I'm wondering if then this would have been planned from the start or a ressurrection/repowering would be in response to low sales of the title so far. Of course this is assuming they're undoing at least some of the kill off.
    RE: Death:

GL ANNOTATIONS

As for the sales, they aren't low unless you consider keeping the same numbers as the second season of the Morrison/Sharp run low.

Haven't been keeping up with the current sales, but the 2nd season of Morrison's run was hardly even promoted. While at some point before it even started, DC planned to reduce it from 12 issues to 8. The current book started as part of a new relaunch initiative that from what I've seen has been more heavily promoted than Morrison's GL work that DC barely even acknowledged towards the end. There's also that while Morrison is still a big name, they're not the kind of name today that they were years ago, so I don't really think it's the best comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Haven't been keeping up with the current sales, but the 2nd season of Morrison's run was hardly even promoted. While at some point before it even started, DC planned to reduce it from 12 issues to 8. The current book started as part of a new relaunch initiative that from what I've seen has been more heavily promoted than Morrison's GL work that DC barely even acknowledged towards the end. There's also that while Morrison is still a big name, they're not the kind of name today that they were years ago, so I don't really think it's the best comparison.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

here's what could change the course of the current run.

1. Poor sales ("poor" according to whatever projections DC has for Green Lantern books, to which I'm not privy.)

2. Change of editorial overall direction from what was agreed to at the end of 2020. (Which does happen to series from time to time but I have no indication that it's happening here.)

3. Me being too busy with other work to continue. (Never impossible. I'm almost always extremely busy with multiple simultaneous projects but I never step away from a gig in the middle of a contract so, if we start the next arc, I'll finish it before leaving the book.)

We'll all find out soon enough. Happy Holidays. =)

coda: Another way of looking at sales is to see which books Green Lantern regularly outsells, both from Marvel and from DC. We routinely rank somewhere in the upper middle of that pack.
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-19-2021 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Do you think Green Lantern Season 2 didn’t reach sales expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Do you think Green Lantern Season 2 didn’t reach sales expectations?
    I'm not certain what DC's expectations for it were but I don't believe the sales were much lower than the later issues of S1. What I did find odd was when Liam Sharp tweeted S2 was going to reduced before it even started yet, and eventually it was reverted back to the original 12 issues. So I thought it was just a case of Morrison not wanting to do another full 12 issue run at first(they said in a recent interview they had to be talked into doing S2) and changing their mind afterwards, not that it had something to do with sales, but who knows. It still was hardly promoted, I remember seeing one interview with Morrison on DC's YouTube channel for it, and DC would sometimes post a "What did you think" tweet after some issues and that was about it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-19-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. Poor sales ("poor" according to whatever projections DC has for Green Lantern books, to which I'm not privy.)

2. Change of editorial overall direction from what was agreed to at the end of 2020. (Which does happen to series from time to time but I have no indication that it's happening here.)

3. Me being too busy with other work to continue. (Never impossible. I'm almost always extremely busy with multiple simultaneous projects but I never step away from a gig in the middle of a contract so, if we start the next arc, I'll finish it before leaving the book.)

coda: Another way of looking at sales is to see which books Green Lantern regularly outsells, both from Marvel and from DC. We routinely rank somewhere in the upper middle of that pack.
    Fair enough then. Happy Holidays to you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    No ring and no logo makes me think that John will not be the main Green Lantern going forward like some people think, despite appearing in some direct to video cartoons. They could give that Jo character that spot instead, which would be...uggggh >__<
    Whoever is the coveted "main GL" depends on how DC marketing uses them. In recent memory that's clearly John since he gets the most page time, he's used as the default GL in the Justice League, he was plastered all over DC advertising at FanDome, he gets the most merch now, he's used in animation, video games, supposedly in live-action soon, Earth 3 Emerald Knight was changed in the last minute to be him despite that it was originally meant to be Hal, you had the guy in charge literally give him a "shout-out" on twitter, so if DC is invested in him they pretty much have no choice but to use him as the "main GL", regardless of what current powers he has or what they're planning for Jo Mullein. She is obviously an investment too, but they likely see her the way they saw Jessica before. You had Hal as the main male GL and Jessica as the main female GL, now it's John and Jo. If something like, say, DCSHG where Jessica is the lead GL and Hal is her male counterpart, came out today, you'd most likely have Jo on the main team, with John as her male counterpart.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-19-2021 at 11:16 AM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Surprisingly not a lot of green lantern holiday messages, but happy holidays and best of luck in the new year (in personal life and your writing work)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

RE: Death:

GL ANNOTATIONS

As for the sales, they aren't low unless you consider keeping the same numbers as the second season of the Morrison/Sharp run low.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All I can say in response to her death is that as long as she remains dead, I'm not buying the book, So unless she's revived I'm not buying the book. So if you're saying she's staying dead under you, I'm not buying. I fully believe you've killed her off, which is one of the many problems with the book's current current direction, and the one that broke the camel's back for me. I'm not questioning whether you've killed her. I'm was speculating that she might be revived from her death by her presence on an upcoming cover. Death is a very fixable problem in comics. So if you're trying to say that "She is staying dead as long as I'm on the book, the cover is a mistake", well, you've just put your foot in your mouth and killed what little interest that cover generated in me. Though frankly there's still weasel room in your words because there's a difference in between saying "She is dead (currently)" and "She is staying dead, the cover is a mistake" which I find annoying personally, though I understand the desire to be ambiguous and surprise readers.

has john had any one on one team up arcs with:
    Alan Scott
    Guy Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has john had any one on one team up arcs with:
    Alan Scott
    Guy Gardner
    Been a while since I've read them but Snyder's JL run had some interactions between John and Alan.