Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    yeah, I don't think the self-deprecation humor really translates on these board. I feel the fandom is a little too self-serious here than they are over on tumblr.
    Oh, I think it does play well here, but when it's self-effacing humor for all but one character, it just plays more into "everyone but x sucks," which is kind of how this comes off. If John was included in the roasting of the entire GLs it would come across more clearly.

I'd be just as bothered if it was my favorite GL, Alan Scott, getting the praise and everyone else was getting **** on. I think the only GL who could occupy that free space of praise is Kilowog, who everyone likes.

Hell, I don't know how John "my character is I'm a marine who let a planet die" Stewart isn't in the sad row considering DC doesn't let John enjoy his life anymore. More than any GL, he fits there as he's been published for, what, several decades now?

I did laugh at "big bitch" energy for my boy Guy Gardner, though. It does fit JLI Guy to a T.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-30-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Oh, I think it does play well here, but when it's self-effacing humor for all but one character, it just plays more into "everyone but x sucks," which is kind of how this comes off. If John was included in the roasting of the entire GLs it would come across more clearly.

I'd be just as bothered if it was my favorite GL, Alan Scott, getting the praise and everyone else was getting **** on. I think the only GL who could occupy that free space of praise is Kilowog, who everyone likes.

Hell, I don't know how John "my character is I'm a marine who let a planet die" Stewart isn't in the sad row considering DC doesn't let John enjoy his life anymore. More than any GL, he fits there as he's been published for, what, several decades now?

I did laugh at "big bitch" energy for my boy Guy Gardner, though. It does fit JLI Guy to a T.
    but you kinda proving what i'm alking about tho, on tumblr these other ones wouldn't really be that big a deal just because John didn't get roasted. most tumblr folks are more general audience types, and the people who make these typically are stans of everyone they put on the graphic. it's a memepost, there are 5 million of these with 50 billion combinations, most of the time they're random, so no one is batting an eye over there if their fav isn't in a flattering spot.

however over here, every other person is looking for their character to be 100% affirmed or their the look out for someone bashing them. if it's not supertext, this kind of humor often times isn't selling to the audience. like, I'd never just start flinging "the fun word" all willy nilly or give my hotter takes on fandom culture over here like I would over there, where I can talk more candidly, because it's simply a different platform with a different kind of audience, ya know?

at least, from what I've observed over the years
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-30-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Dress for success

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Dress for success
    I see what you did there .

Dress for success
    these designs are...something else. I can give Darkstar and The Warrior some leeway due to 90s EXXXTREMEness
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I loved The Darkstars, and thought John was well written by Mike Friedman.

So imho he still comes out on top here!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Dress for success
    More evidence that these men shouldn't be allowed to dress themselves.

but you kinda proving what i'm alking about tho, on tumblr these other ones wouldn't really be that big a deal just because John didn't get roasted. most tumblr folks are more general audience types, and the people who make these typically are stans of everyone they put on the graphic. it's a memepost, there are 5 million of these with 50 billion combinations, most of the time they're random, so no one is batting an eye over there if their fav isn't in a flattering spot.

however over here, every other person is looking for their character to be 100% affirmed or their the look out for someone bashing them. if it's not supertext, this kind of humor often times isn't selling to the audience. like, I'd never just start flinging "the fun word" all willy nilly or give my hotter takes on fandom culture over here like I would over there, where I can talk more candidly, because it's simply a different platform with a different kind of audience, ya know?

at least, from what I've observed over the years
    I think it's more that it's being touted as "all in good fun" and self-deprecating when it's just a thinly veiled "muh GL is da bestest" meme in a thread we're all calling truce in. Moreover, I've been on tumblr. It's a hivemind there as well just in a different lane. Again, I got a laugh out of Guy (my second favorite GL) on there, but I wouldn't call this a good spirited self-depreciating post when it's so clearly there to build up John on the other's expense.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-30-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

I know there is a tribalism among GL fanbases. For me it is a little different because Hal and Alan are two of my three favorite characters in all of the DCU. Being a child of the Bronze age I am a little more Hal than Alan but my love for Alan is strong. I also really like John (loved Mosaic) didn't care for Guy at first but liked him once he got the moon boots. Kyle wasn't my guy but his era brought Darryl Banks into the GL franchise, whom I love and the Parallax armored look for Hal which is one of the best redesigns ever. Arisia is my favorite female GL and I love Jade too.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I know there is a tribalism among GL fanbases. For me it is a little different because Hal and Alan are two of my three favorite characters in all of the DCU. Being a child of the Bronze age I am a little more Hal than Alan but my love for Alan is strong. I also really like John (loved Mosaic) didn't care for Guy at first but liked him once he got the moon boots. Kyle wasn't my guy but his era brought Darryl Banks into the GL franchise, whom I love and the Parallax armored look for Hal which is one of the best redesigns ever. Arisia is my favorite female GL and I love Jade too.
    The only GL I don't much care for is Simon, and he's my vote if we have to lose one, but I still want DC to make him work in a way that fits the GL mythos instead of trying to invent healing GL powers for him. He just needs a creator with a good idea and he'll be fine.

The GL franchise is ripe with potential. Hoping the next run taps into some.

I'm not sure how calling Hal "dumb bitch" is supposed to be "self-deprecation humor". But I'm probably not fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure how calling Hal "dumb bitch" is supposed to be "self-deprecation humor". But I'm probably not fun at parties.
    It's because he acts before he thinks sometimes and a lot of silver age scans circulating the internet paint him as an idiot. I get it, but it doesn't feel like self-effacing humor when on that same image the Lantern with the most dour personality next to Alan, John "I will never get over Xanshi" Stewart is getting touted for big dick energy. The image didn't bug me really. It's just a bad joke, but posting it in the thread where we all agree not to dunk on other Lanterns and asking others not to be annoyed is kind of shitty. Feels like bait.

I think it's more that it's being touted as "all in good fun" and self-deprecating when it's just a thinly veiled "muh GL is da bestest" meme in a thread we're all calling truce in. Moreover, I've been on tumblr. It's a hivemind there as well just in a different lane. Again, I got a laugh out of Guy (my second favorite GL) on there, but I wouldn't call this a good spirited self-depreciating post when it's so clearly there to build up John on the other's expense.
    but your insistence that this has to be some thinly veiled attack against everyone else is proving my point. tumblr isn't a hive mind like here, it's not a fan message board it's a social media platform with hundreds if not thousands of sub cultural pockets. it is a meme post, no one is thinking THAT deeply about it. now maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, I can't speak to the posting of it on this platform but as for the image itself, especially within the tumblr context, I don't think it's as deep or malicious as you think just because it doesn't agree with your perception of John (which appears to be what your arguing on the post above this one).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-31-2021 at 03:33 PM.

currently following:

Robanker isn't saying anything deep, how else can you read that meme?

these designs are...something else. I can give Darkstar and The Warrior some leeway due to 90s EXXXTREMEness
    John's could look passable if they ditched the gold and silver parts, Guy meanwhile looks like he's late to his favorite team's opening game.
    Now we know why space GLs come with pre-issued uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Robanker isn't saying anything deep, how else can you read that meme?
    I read it as a meme, they took some characters they like and aligned them in goofy positions. Robanker is insistent that because one character is in a goofy position that it's some how some slight against the other goofy positions; it's not, it's a meme. within the context of tumblr I highly doubt the person making the meme really cared that deeply. the humor doesn't translate here because people here DO care that deeply because this is a niche platform catered to these characters; and that kind of malicious tribalism behavior that is being projected on to the meme is far more likely here. what's the intent for posting it here, I can't speak to, but it's just meme from tumblr; you're meant to chuckle and scroll.

currently following: