Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Can someone send a link to that podcast please. Sounds interesting if he delves into the creative process behind the scenes.
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIBRAF&ep=6

Try this one...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Thanks!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I want great Green Lantern stories. I think Alan being a closeted gay man works really well within his established history and adds, rather than subtracts, to his character. As long as it’s handled well, this could be great for the character.

These characters can't be preserved in amber. If they're going to survive, they need new wrinkles for creators to explore. This is easily one of the more interesting ones to come around in a while because the 1940s is a particularly great era to play in. We got a little bit of this with Watchmen, but I think it'll be a whole other ballgame within the classic DCU

Astonishing Member

The Sinestro Corps War is my favorite DC modern era comic book storyline. Right up there with GL Rebirth, The Great Darkness Saga and COIE.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    The Sinestro Corps War is my favorite DC modern era comic book storyline. Right up there with GL Rebirth, The Great Darkness Saga and COIE.
    One of the best second acts I've read, with Blackest Night essentially being the end of that run for me. It was so strong a finish but the book kept going and never hit the same high.

For me Johns peaked with SCW and while I enjoyed what followed I felt like it was slowly going downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    For me Johns peaked with SCW and while I enjoyed what followed I felt like it was slowly going downwards.
    Yeah, I do not like zombie fiction so Blackest Night doesn't do much for me, so SCW was the highpoint for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    One of the best second acts I've read, with Blackest Night essentially being the end of that run for me. It was so strong a finish but the book kept going and never hit the same high.
    I thought Johns pulled as good a finale for his run as could be expected by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I thought making the more traditional WW2-era Alan gay (or bi) is more interesting than the revamped New 52 version of him. Adds an interesting wrinkle to his kind of standard stoic 1940s leading man character.
    Yeah, this. I think a bi Alan Scott opens up more possibilities. You get to preserve his old romances but it opens new door ways. Like when did he realize? How did he deal with it during WW2? How did it impact him over the years and did it play into his relationship with Todd Rice? Alan married not just one, but two super villains and he literally fought through hell to rescue one of their souls. That's an interesting angle to explore. What if his female relationships were dumpster fires but his relationship with men were much healthier but he couldn't out himself? Basically, I think a gay Alan Scott means that all of his relationships would have to reinvented, a bi Alan Scott means you only have to apply minor tweaks to the older stories. I also suspect they made Alan gay as 'compensation' for losing Obsidian since DC was trying to get ride of their legacy heroes at the time.

If a JSA member had to be outed, I would have gone with a character who would have benefited from the attention. Like Al Rothstein, Al Pratt or Pieter Cross. If it had to be somebody more high profile then I would have gone with Ted Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Johns pulled as good a finale for his run as could be expected by that point.
    Blackest Night was the high point and everything after felt like a whimper. I admit I'm kind of done by the time we get to the actual conclusion so it's probably better than I remember it being.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I do not like zombie fiction so Blackest Night doesn't do much for me, so SCW was the highpoint for me as well.

They're definitely played out but most of that event sets up very well and there's some great moments I recall from some of the tie-ins. Art was outstanding in the event proper. Moreover, most the plot threads tied up there. It just wrapped up nicely.

Then it kept going. Like a Peter Jackson movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I also suspect they made Alan gay as 'compensation' for losing Obsidian since DC was trying to get ride of their legacy heroes at the time.

If a JSA member had to be outed, I would have gone with a character who would have benefited from the attention. Like Al Rothstein, Al Pratt or Pieter Cross. If it had to be somebody more high profile then I would have gone with Ted Grant.
    That was literally the reason the Earth 2 writer gave for making Alan gay-- He didn't want there to be one less gay character in the world because Alan was de-aged, so it was an attempt at following the law of equivalent exchange.

Baz was likely created for the same reason, since DC wanted to kill off John Stewart around the time of his creation.

The change also brought attention to the book, since "Green Lantern" is a bigger brand name than the alternatives you mentioned. I doubt there would be as many clicks on articles saying the Atom was now gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Blackest Night was the high point and everything after felt like a whimper. I admit I'm kind of done by the time we get to the actual conclusion so it's probably better than I remember it being.
    To be honest I think I was riding high on that run up until the very end, but in hindsight I can see where people felt Blackest Night was the crux of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    That was literally the reason the Earth 2 writer gave for making Alan gay-- He didn't want there to be one less gay character in the world because Alan was de-aged, so it was an attempt at following the law of equivalent exchange.

Baz was likely created for the same reason, since DC wanted to kill off John Stewart around the time of his creation.

The change also brought attention to the book, since "Green Lantern" is a bigger brand name than the alternatives you mentioned. I doubt there would be as many clicks on articles saying the Atom was now gay.
    Yeah (and I think John Venus meant Chuck McNider since Pieter is later-day JSA) and frankly a headline reading "Doctor Mid-Nite is DC's newest gay hero" would elicit the uniform response of "who the hell is Doctor Mid-Nite?"

I think it'd also play a little into the idea that gay men are inherently a bit beta since Doc is more of an introspective dude who usually operates in the backline of a fight if he gets involved, where he otherwise deals in medicine. Al or Alan combat that because they very much got into the thick of it, with Alan being the quintessential man's man of the 1940s. If you want to shatter every stereotype, Alan or Ted were the best choices and GL is a bigger name than Wildcat.

Couldn't really be Carter because of Shayera (though if she reincarnated as a man it'd work) and Jay is one of the only JSA people who not only has a very happy, loving marriage-- it continued to be a vital component of his character even in the modern age. Joan was a character who showed up in Flash/Impulse and the Garricks were essentially that IP's answer to Jonathan and Martha Kent.

It kind of had to be Alan.