Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The number of human lanterns isn't bad if you get rid of the two from each sector rule and there are other planets with just as many Lanterns.

They all have different roles to play, and I think that would be reflected better if they were grouped with non-Earth Lanterns differently.

For example, Jo is an investigator, so put her in GL Internal Affairs and pair her up with an alien like Jruk.

Guy is tough as nails and a good team player, so have him work in a four-man SWAT team with assorted GLs.

Jessica deals with anxiety, and it would be interesting to see how that plays with her exploring uncharted space alongside Hal and a GL science team.

Baz was treated like a terrorist in his origin, so he would be interesting working for a GL counterintelligence branch operating like the CIA.

Alan could deal with alien magic like Harry Dresden.

Kyle was the sole GL at one point, which means he can operate well on his own, and we know he's a creative thinker-- Sounds like the ideal guy to be establishing new outposts in recently discovered GL space, like a pioneer or missionary.

In addition to his Earth duties, John works with the higher ups in a leadership role, so things filter up to him.

By splitting up the humans into so many different narratives, you actually provide room for more alien GLs to get some play as well, since different aliens would work alongside the different human POVs.
    I've though of stuff like this as well. Flesh out the workings of the Corps.

I remember suggesting something like this in John Stewart GL thread well. Have the GL's operate like an actual military organization with all the ups and downs, positives and negatives that comes with it.

Extraordinary Member

2 members as the minimum in each sector, with numbers varying depending on the needs of the sector would be best. 2814’s Schlick could be that it’s population doesn’t justify the sheer number of Lanterns, but instead the sheer amount of potential threats in the region.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever get an animated adaption of the Sinestro Corps. War.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If the rebuilding of the GL brand goes well, I could see them doing Sinestro Corps War and/or Blackest Night at some point.

The absence of Alan Scott in the Justice Society: World War 2 animated movie is very noticable, but I understand they want to let the HBO Max show lead the charge on that for the time being. It sucks, but it makes sense why he's not there once you watch the movie. He's too much of a heavy hitter. Half of the movie's plot wouldn't make sense if he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If the rebuilding of the GL brand goes well, I could see them doing Sinestro Corps War and/or Blackest Night at some point.

The absence of Alan Scott in the Justice Society: World War 2 animated movie is very noticable, but I understand they want to let the HBO Max show lead the charge on that for the time being. It sucks, but it makes sense why he's not there once you watch the movie. He's too much of a heavy hitter. Half of the movie's plot wouldn't make sense if he was there.
    I think they said they couldn't fit Alan in for plot reasons.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they said they couldn't fit Alan in for plot reasons.
    Yeah, the JSA was so under-powered that having Alan there would have solved every problem they had and made the surprise appearance of another character feel less monumental.

I look at it from the perspective of Doomsday Clock, which this new continuity might even be setting up for all we know. This is a world in which events played out differently, so it's very likely that the lantern was moved an inch out of Alan's reach in this history.

Previews for Issue #2 of Green Lantern

I like this page of floating GL heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Previews for Issue #2 of Green Lantern

I like this page of floating GL heads.

Definitely a different way of showing off GL's...although I feel like I remember something like this to showcase dead GL's .

Did John just refer to Oa as "home?" Such a change from how things used to be when even two GLs getting together was a rarity and an assemblage of them all was monumental.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did John just refer to Oa as "home?" Such a change from how things used to be when even two GLs getting together was a rarity and an assemblage of them all was monumental.
    Now that you mention it, it does seem like we see more GL's together than apart.

The Corps needs you to vote against the Robin Boy Band.

Green Lantern #2
    Eeh the corps falling apart has been done plenty of times now.
    Also, how many times does the central power battery remain intact smh...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now that you mention it, it does seem like we see more GL's together than apart.
    This seems like a decent thread for the type of nitpickery I'm about to engage in, rather than the GL review thread. The current title is (thus far) good clean fun, and I don't want to spoil it by being an aging fanboy jackwagon.

So here's my whine: For the last few decades, the "universe" of the DCU has gotten increasingly tiny.

In olden days, the Legion of Super-Heroes took care of the Milky Way, and rarely stepped foot outside it. Along the way, they established dozens, if not hundreds of alien races. Daxamites, Durlans, etc. - all planets within the Milky Way.

This was cool, because if there were that many sentient races in one galaxy, just imagine how many might be lurking in the billions of other galaxies out there.

Over the years, more and more races got added to the Milky Way ledger. Twenty-two planets from Vega. Thanagar. Rann (it's right next door!). And so on.

Again, cool. More races in the Milky Way means the potential for so many more beyond it, right?

And the Green Lantern Corps was where we got a taste of that potential. Xudarians, Korugians, Barrions, J586ians... they all showed off the promise of what was out there beyond our galactic neighborhood.

And in the old days, it was always just a taste. Green Lanterns rarely came together at all. Perhaps they passed each other briefly on Oa during a (rare) personal audience with the Guardians. Or maybe they were sent on a (rare) mission to help out a fellow GL. But they didn't travel in packs. They were lone wandering knights, patrolling their immense sectors as they saw fit, but always at the beck and call of the inscrutable whims of the Guardians.

That all ended during the first battle with Nekron, when the whole Corps was summoned for the first time. It was cool, but it opened the floodgates. After the Crisis, seven GLs were hanging out on Earth. After Rebirth, it was common to see dozens of them flitting about Oa for some damn reason. The universe, once an immense void with a few Green specks of light scattered about it, increasingly felt like it it was crowded with GLs.

It didn't help that writers, both for GL and elsewhere, kept muddling up the difference between "galaxy" and "universe." Every time writers grabbed for "representative" aliens across the breadth of reality, they kept reaching for Thanagarians, Coluans, Tamaranians, end other Milky Way stalwarts, forgetting that there are literally 100+ billion other galaxies to choose from. Other writers kept making the Milky Way intersect more and more GL Sectors, straining mathematical credulity.

More recently, a 21st century version of the United Planets has been formed in the DCU. Even though its membership is once again dominated by the same old Milky Way planets (Dominators, Khunds, Tamaranians, Thanagarians, etc.) it's apparently somehow got enough juice to take over patrolling 1/3rd of the known Universe (known by the Guardians, that is... that should be a pretty huge chunk). Darkseid only wishes he could establish that much universal dominion that quickly.

What I'm saying is, universes should be big. DC's is getting smaller all the time.

I told you I was an aging fanboy jackwagon