Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

I miss those guys...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It's kind of strange how quickly the Rainbow Lanterns disappeared. They felt so exciting and new when they first got introduced, then The New 52 squandered all that potential and no one's wanted to touch them since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's kind of strange how quickly the Rainbow Lanterns disappeared. They felt so exciting and new when they first got introduced, then The New 52 squandered all that potential and no one's wanted to touch them since.
    Yeah, like straight immediately into the Venditti/Van Jensen era they were starting to take them out with Relic.

(Who else even remembers Relic?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, like straight immediately into the Venditti/Van Jensen era they were starting to take them out with Relic.

You mean bootleg Galactus?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nope. And no one ever will....

Incredible Member

Well it looks like everyone who thought Arisia could be still be alive after last month have proven wrong, unfortunately with her being confirmed dead in this month's issue.

And this is what has broke the camel's back for me. Seeing characters killed so cheaply an unceremoniously a big turn off me. So I've decided to drop the book for the foreseeable future. Until she's either resurrected or a new writer comes on. Not sure which.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah that sucks for Arisia.
    Next to Kilowog, she’s everyone’s favorite alien lantern and the one everyone knows.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah that sucks for Arisia.
    Next to Kilowog, she’s everyone’s favorite alien lantern and the one everyone knows.
    Killing popular characters to try and sell your take on a property is way #1 to turn people against your take on a property and having it quickly and completely reversed by the next person on the property. Incapacitating or exiling is acceptable killing isn't smart because even if what you see isn't what you get the reversal will be seen as capitulating to pressure even if the swich was always planned.

Astonishing Member

Are the powers that be purposefully trying to tank this GL run? I find it hard to believe the current writer would purposefully do this to his run. I can see people taking the "I am done with this run approach" way quicker than a " whoa they killed Arisia I better pick this up". I like the character of Jo from Far Sector but fear this GL run having an adverse effect on her. The dead Arisia idea has no positives but some very big negatives a very big misstep hopefully to be quickly corrected.

I suspect Arisia's been killed off given her rather icky publication history. Better to start over with a new character who serves the same purpose.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I suspect Arisia's been killed off given her rather icky publication history. Better to start over with a new character who serves the same purpose.
    Regardless of her introduction, she been well established as a legal adult by now.

Also it's cheap pointless death alongside a bunch of other cheap pointless deaths, presumably to to "drive up the stakes" and make things "serious".

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Regardless of her introduction, she been well established as a legal adult by now.

Also it's cheap pointless death alongside a bunch of other cheap pointless deaths, presumably to to "drive up the stakes" and make things "serious".
    The alien GLs have been used as canon fodder for decades now, unfortunately. However, most of the time, they simply get replaced by a new GL from the same planet, which is likely what's going to happen with Arisia. She was a prime candidate for being knocked off because it frees them from having to tip-toe around Wolfman's skeevy stories and Englehart's well-intentioned, but equally sketchy attempts to course-correct by turning Arisia into an adult and Johns's subsequent retcon that she was actually hundreds of years old all along, which doesn't make any sense given how Arisia acted it those early stories. She was written as a teenage girl and drawn like a teenage girl.

By removing Arisia from the present day, they can now create a new elvish GL from her D&D world. Given her history as a legacy GL, I think it'd be interesting to see who takes over the family business. Creating a new character allows them to take all the great things about Arisia without any of the baggage.

Morrison did focus a lot on Hal's love life in the last run and if I'm not mistaken there were zero mentions of Arisia, no? So it likely is "official" DC's position.