Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't the point that the personalities inform how the GL's are unique? Like the whole sequence in Rebirth where Hal talks about how each GL uses their constructs differently because of their personality.
    Yes. I've said this before, but I am not a fan of writers (or editors) trying to make each Lantern "special" - Jo or Hal's unique rings, John's tattoo ring, Simon's mysterious powers or Jessica with the "first" GL ring, etc. Let each ring bearer's personality or mindset and how they use the same ring set them apart. If you had an ensemble cop show, would each cop need to have their own special gun or weapon rather than the standard issue? I'd rather the stories be interesting than focus on how each ring-bearer has a "special, unique" ring. Moving forward, would you have to remind everyone at the beginning of each story how each person's ring has its own special thing?

The real solution would be to not tell stories with a dozen GLs in each issue, but DC created a glut of GLs in a market that doesn't support it, so here we go...

Probably getting hard to have those unique personalities when they got 9 human Lanterns and they kinda have to share certain traits - like being able to overcome great fear.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Probably getting hard to have those unique personalities when they got 9 human Lanterns and they kinda have to share certain traits - like being able to overcome great fear.
    Maybe they could try show why/how each one overcome great fear. John does it for duty, Guy to prove himself, Kyle to be better, Jessica trying to deal/heal her anxiety and Hal for the thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Maybe they could try show why/how each one overcome great fear. John does it for duty, Guy to prove himself, Kyle to be better, Jessica trying to deal/heal her anxiety and Hal for the thrill.
    Simon does it for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't think Hal does it for the thrill. I think he does it to defy restrictions. (which is thrilling, but it's not the end goal) Coupled with his belief that everyone should have the right of self-determination, is what drives him as a GL, imo.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-11-2021 at 05:59 PM.

BANNED

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think Hal does it for the thrill. I think he does it to defy restrictions. (which is thrilling, but it's not the end goal) Coupled with his belief that everyone should have the right of self-determination, is what drives him as a GL, imo.
    Wasn't it about seeing his dad die when he was a kid?

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

This. The thrill is secondary, it's all about autonomy/self-determination with Hal, thus his love of flying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wasn't it about seeing his dad die when he was a kid?
    Obviously, this is all up for interpretation, and in terms of the fearlessness, Johns did push the idea that after seeing his father die in front of him, he no longer had anything to fear. I think it's a cute line and helps to define the character, but that's only a surface-level reason.

Obviously, this is all up for interpretation, and in terms of the fearlessness, Johns did push the idea that after seeing his father die in front of him, he no longer had anything to fear. I think it's a cute line and helps to define the character, but that's only a surface-level reason.
    i think it's deeper than that. well at least for me. i'm not sure how it connects though to overcoming fear though. i think i can empathize more on feelings of anger when it comes losing a love one at a young age.

Incredible Member

Hey , this is for anyone out there . I'm reading GL , and so far only saw Hal in a cameo , so his ring is still working and he's on Earth .
    I'm wondering if Thorne will use Hal at all in his GL run ? Actually the story is not bad, but don't like the art . I'd like to see Hal show up and meet Jo and see their interaction.

I've always been curious. Where did John Broome get the inspiration behind the Green Lantern Corps? It's obvious who influenced Batman and Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I've always been curious. Where did John Broome get the inspiration behind the Green Lantern Corps? It's obvious who influenced Batman and Superman.
    He ripped off the Lensmen.

In the Lensman novels, the Galactic Patrol was a combination military force and interstellar law-enforcement agency, charged with the defense and preservation of Civilization. The Lensmen were the elite of the Galactic Patrol, and Lensmen tended to hold the majority of the senior-executive positions in the Patrol, although non-Lensmen personnel were essential to the organization's success, and garnered almost as much respect as their Lens-bearing superiors. The organization had large numbers of non-humans serving in all roles, although many of the leadership positions seem to be occupied by humanity.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Patrol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    He ripped off the Lensmen.
    While there are certainly some similarities between the Corps and the Lensmen, both John Broome and Julius Schwartz indicated that while they'd heard of the Lensmen books neither had ever read them.

http://www.graspingforthewind.com/20...green-lantern/
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more