Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Again, that's a working relationship, not being close enough to talk about deeply personal issues, like Hal does with say Ollie.

It is boot licking when it isn't ever reciprocated. A real friendship is supposed to be a two-way street. At no point did other characters ever show any interest in John's issues or what he was going through. That's why as a side character (barely even that), no parts of his past or family or goals were ever explored, as with other side characters at the time, like Guy and Kyle. John was a two dimensional cheerleader at best. Simping for people who don't give two ****s about him. The writers didn't even try to develop him. Once they were forced to move on from hitting Xanshi beats over and over again, they tried to recreate that trauma with Mogo and John being a cold-blooded killer--pretty much recycling the same lazy beat because they weren't interested in anything more with him. There's really no defending it. And as soon as the writers changed, things dramatically started to improve for John, so it's no coincidence. That said, the relationships are still canon. The history is still relevant.

In the first season of the show, I'm sure Bats wanted to, lol.
    But there was also that scene where they talked about the GL's being allowed to use lethal force, which implies trust and confidence in each other beyond just a working relationship.

I remember internal narration from Hal talking about how much he respected and appreciated John.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But there was also that scene where they talked about the GL's being allowed to use lethal force, which implies trust and confidence in each other beyond just a working relationship.

I remember internal narration from Hal talking about how much he respected and appreciated John.
    I'm projecting my own relationships in this sense-- I respect and like the people I work with. I go over to their homes for barbecues and other get togethers. But they're just work friends, not people I would talk about personal issues with. They know nothing about my family, dating life, insecurities, fears, etc.

I thought the Four Corpsmen story from the GL 80th Anniversary Special with Hal, John and Kyle reminiscing about Guy made it very clear they were all close friends. We barely see them socialize since the writers rarely even bother to develop their characters, let alone their relationships with each other. But I would think people who have been through so much together would be more than just work buddies.

Last edited by Johnny; 07-29-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Arisa by Alex Saviuk.
    Tomar Re by Joe Staton.

SaviukStatonArisiaTomarRe.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I thought the Four Corpsmen story from the GL 80th Anniversary Special with Hal, John and Kyle reminiscing about Guy made it very clear they were all close friends. We barely see them socialize since the writers rarely even bother to develop their characters, let alone their relationships with each other. But I would think people who have been through so much together would be more than just work buddies.

Stories set in the future can't be taken seriously, especially since the future is always changing. For example, Johns ended his run with a different future.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

What makes John & Hal's relationship sing for me is how complicated and fraught with guilt, old wounds, and resentments, but also undeniably genuine love and respect for each other.

There's so much to explore there...

I'm projecting my own relationships in this sense-- I respect and like the people I work with. I go over to their homes for barbecues and other get togethers. But they're just work friends, not people I would talk about personal issues with. They know nothing about my family, dating life, insecurities, fears, etc.
    I'd say it's a lot closer to being brothers-in-arms serving together in the army. Would you trust your co-workers with your life and vice versa? Likely not. So, even if they don't talk about their personal issues with each other, it's more "Band of Brothers" between all the corpsmen than "The Office."

Stories set in the future can't be taken seriously, especially since the future is always changing. For example, Johns ended his run with a different future.
    Yeah, but the intention and what it's building on is also important.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

I agree, Johnny.

Also, Hal still has that jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    What makes John & Hal's relationship sing for me is how complicated and fraught with guilt, old wounds, and resentments, but also undeniably genuine love and respect for each other.

There's so much to explore there...
    Yes, indeed.

Green Lantern Corps (Earth-27)
    by
    phil-cho
    https://www.deviantart.com/phil-cho/...h-27-691932558

Never getting another season of the GL animated series is one of my great fanboy disappointments

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Never getting another season of the GL animated series is one of my great fanboy disappointments

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

It's like salt in the wounds. I love Xum Yukinori so much.