Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Dudes clapping back about Hal Jordan being "the avatar of white male mediocrity" don't make it much better too. But yeah, garbage like that reminds of why I try to ignore this stuff because I really don't know how to handle it. Echo chambers in legacy franchise fanbases are an awful thing. When if these people saw each other at a convention or something, they would never treat each other like that, they would talk about what they enjoy about their respective favorites and what made them become GL fans to begin with. It's really disappointing. And it's nothing new obviously, but when you forget about it for a moment and then it hits you right in the face, you just can't help but feel let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Dudes clapping back about Hal Jordan being "the avatar of white male mediocrity" don't make it much better too. But yeah, garbage like that reminds of why I try to ignore this stuff because I really don't know how to handle it. Echo chambers in legacy franchise fanbases are an awful thing. When if these people saw each other at a convention or something, they would never treat each other like that, they would talk about what they enjoy about their respective favorites and what made them become GL fans to begin with. It's really disappointing. And it's nothing new obviously, but when you forget about it for a moment and then it hits you right in the face, you just can't help but feel let down.
    heeeey, what a minute; that was me! that part was a joke aimed more at certain Hal fans I've come across and less an indictment of the character; I thought it was pretty funny.

but yeah, I get hating "stan" Twitter but I've grown to appreciate it's utility. it is a good place for sharpening and taking more consideration when articulating your takes on characters in the wider comics discourse. a lot of what makes me think more critically and be more media literate with comics (or any storytelling media i consume honestly) is trying to argue my point against a take that differs from or outright offends me. although, again, I get the distaste for that side of twitter/discourse because some people are just....anywhere from cringe to obnoxiously toxic to say the least.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    heeeey, what a minute; that was me! that part was a joke aimed more at certain Hal fans I've come across and less an indictment of the character; I thought it was pretty funny.

but yeah, I get hating "stan" Twitter but I've grown to appreciate it's utility. it is a good place for sharpening and taking more consideration when articulating your takes on characters in the wider comics discourse. a lot of what makes me think more critically and be more media literate with comics (or any storytelling media i consume honestly) is trying to argue my point against a take that differs from or outright offends me. although, again, I get the distaste for that side of twitter/discourse because some people are just....anywhere from cringe to obnoxiously toxic to say the least.
    Oh man, sorry about that! lol I don't really blame you for it though, that fool should not have made that stupid tweet in the first place. I remember once trying to reason with some of these folks and I was called ignorant for it.

In any event, I'd say people here tend to usually be far more civil in their disagreements as compared to pretty much anything I've come across on social media. As bad as Twitter is, don't even get me started on Facebook. I left any groups I had previously joined because of that crap a long time ago. But yeah, there are certainly good sides to social media as well, I just feel like we don't see them often enough nowadays.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Wasn't Jo in the army and the police force?

Most of the GL's have Kilowog training too, so I feel like that should be taken into account.

What are they not embarrassing themselves over. Even the most trivial things you could think of. Just avoid them altogether.
    Yeah Social Media just brings out the worst in people and especially in fandoms.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't Jo in the army and the police force?

Most of the GL's have Kilowog training too, so I feel like that should be taken into account.
    Even if they all had GL training, John has more on the ground combat training since he was a ground troop operating on the frontlines of warzones and disaster areas. His training was specifically designed for the human body. He has actual feats using his training to be a capable meta-class fighter, in several continuities, including the main one where he impersonated the criminal Hunger Dog. It's heavily implied during the Van Jensen run that he's good at guerilla warfare tactics. In the "Ring of Evil" Elseworlds, he operates as a resistance fighter. In the DCAU he dons commando gear in more than one episode when his ring fails--fighting in WW2 on ground missions against Nazis, taking out Thanagarians, and taking on Despero's forces as well. In Future State, he operates effectively as a swashbuckler with nothing more than an energy pistol and energy blade-- a la John Carter of Mars. Then there's his physical build, which is commented on by characters like Jessica Cruz.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-05-2021 at 07:47 PM.

John's the only one because of his military background I could see having extensive hand-to-hand combat fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Even if they all had GL training, John has more on the ground combat training since he was a ground troop operating on the frontlines of warzones and disaster areas. His training was specifically designed for the human body. He has actual feats using his training to be a capable meta-class fighter, in several continuities, including the main one where he impersonated the criminal Hunger Dog. It's heavily implied during the Van Jensen run that he's good at guerilla warfare tactics. In the "Ring of Evil" Elseworlds, he operates as a resistance fighter. In the DCAU he dons commando gear in more than one episode when his ring fails--fighting in WW2 on ground missions against Nazis, taking out Thanagarians, and taking on Despero's forces as well. In Future State, he operates effectively as a swashbuckler with nothing more than an energy pistol and energy blade-- a la John Carter of Mars. Then there's his physical build, which is commented on by characters like Jessica Cruz.
    What kind of training does the Air Force get?

Ultimate Member

Because you can't HIDE your identity at a comic con or be allowed to be toxic in a certain book stores. Because stores that have zero issue with you being toxic towards POC, women, LGBTQA+, fans of minority or Inhumans characters or toxic to children don't last long.

In any event, I'd say people here tend to usually be far more civil in their disagreements as compared to pretty much anything I've come across on social media.
    That is because the majority of folks here READ the books, go to comic book stores, cons and other places.

Yeah Social Media just brings out the worst in people and especially in fandoms.
    Because nobody can fact check most of those folks.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Nothing comparable to what a US Marine would receive. These days the US Air Force is mostly tasked with testing experimental aircraft and the transportation and security of nuclear weapons.

That said, both Hal & Guy no doubt had extensive experience getting into fights thanks to Hal's competitiveness and Guy's mouth

Ultimate Member

From a BING search...

Hal would have learned Judo as part of his training-however he would have been among the final trainees as that was cut in 1965.

If was wanted to assume Hal was around during the wars with Iran and Afghanistan-that training was VARIED based on the fact bases sought independent contracts on that.

1998-2007 saw more usage of the LINE program of training. Martial arts.

Now we got this-

https://warisboring.com/air-force-ad...asic-training/

This seems to have started in 2019.
    Changes to Air Force basic training this summer include switching to the M4 carbine from the M16 and an increased emphasis on hand-to-hand fighting skills.

Training on the M4 is part of an emphasis on preparing new airmen for deployment into areas of potential combat, and the first recruits to qualify pulled triggers July 8 at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas.

Trainees will now participate in expanded self-defense training includes physical sparring sessions with protective gear, Hoover said. Those sessions had been simulated, but the Air Force now requires trainees to apply the techniques on actual opponents in controlled circumstances.
    So it varies based on what base and what year we are looking at.

So it would have to be ranked as John, Jo, Simon, Guy and Hal could be above or below John or Jo.

BANNED

It's not just about training, but also demonstrated experience. Hal was a POG. He's not doing Suicide Squad missions like John can.

BANNED

POGs like Hal don't do s*** like this for a living.

Green Lantern #49

BANNED

Lost Army

Futures End: Green Lantern Corps

BANNED

John masquerading as the criminal/bounty hunter Hunger Dog