Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Where would you place Star Trek Picard and Star Trek Discovery?

Anyone who is watching the new star trek shows, where will you rank them between

TOS
    The next generations
    DS9
    Voyager
    Enterprise

Where would you place Star Trek Picard and Star Trek Discovery on the list.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Anyone who is watching the new star trek shows, where will you rank them between

TOS
    The next generations
    DS9
    Voyager
    Enterprise

Where would you place Star Trek Picard and Star Trek Discovery on the list.
    First, of course, not in the same continuity. But both better written, produced, directed, and largely acted than anything that came before.

Oddly, also less satisfying

DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    DSC
    PIC
    VOY
    ENT

So I guess firmly in the middle of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    First, of course, not in the same continuity.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Don't feed.

You don't get Picard without 7 seasons and 4 movies of Next Generation.

Nor 7 of 9.

Considering technology and social issues NOW versus 1987 and 1995 let alone 1966-of course they look and probably are better.

Incredible Member

discovery is using the abrams verse ,is it not and not the original tng universe even if they use the Unification tng footage. this series should be called star trek burnham since everything is focused on her

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    discovery is using the abrams verse ,is it not and not the original tng universe even if they use the Unification tng footage. this series should be called star trek burnham since everything is focused on her
    I know I shouldn't feed, but this season made it crystal clear that not only are they separate from the Abrams-verse, but that the Prime Universe by the 32nd century is aware of the existence of the other universe.

Secondly, the first season involved the TOS USS Defiant and the 2nd season had an episode that was a sequel to the Cage, the very first episode of TOS. So yes, it was always in canon.

Thirdly, whether or not it's handled well, Discovery *is* about Burnham. She's the main character and the marketing and the promotional materials for season 1 made that clear. Again, whether it does so satisfactorily is up to the individual viewer, but the show is about a central protagonist and never pretended to be otherwise. Its quality (opinion) is different than its premise (fact).

Fourthly, a huge chunk of the setting for this current season is because of the Temporal Cold War, and then the subsequent Temporal Wars itself, all as seen in Enterprise.

Fifthly, "the original tng universe" makes it seem as if TNG exists separate from the rest of the Trek shows, which most certainly is not the case. It is not in isolation of the other shows, even (and especially) the ones that have come after it.

Lord knows I have problems with how Discovery's written and how the show treats its supporting cast -- as evidenced repeatedly in the Discovery thread -- but we can accept the premise while critiquing its execution. Every show (Trek or not) asks the viewer to accept its premise, so the premise is a given; judgement lies in how well it sticks to that premise. Two different things.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-02-2021 at 01:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    DSC
    PIC
    VOY
    ENT

Pretty much agree with this. Even though I haven't seen much of Picard, I'd probably put Voyager over it,

Shows
    1: DS9
    2: TNG
    3: TOS
    4: ENT
    Honorable Mention to Orville.
    5: VOY
    6: TAS
    7: PIC
    8: Lower Decks
    9: DSC

Films (Why Not)
    1: TWOK
    2: Voyage Home.
    3: Undiscovered Country.
    4: First Contact.
    5: Beyond.
    6: TMP.
    7: Search for Spock.
    8: Star Trek (2009).
    9: Generations.
    10: Final Frontier (It has some good Spock, McCoy, and Kirk scenes).
    11: Nemesis.
    12: Into Darkness.
    13: Insurrection.

Incredible Member

picard narration is such that it's essentially all 10 episodes were like 1 super long extended picard tng episode

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    picard narration is such that it's essentially all 10 episodes were like 1 super long extended picard tng episode

Picard started off well only to get bad. I don't know what is going on, with calling Picard JL and the Space Romulan Elf from Lord of the Rings. Every episode got worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    DSC
    PIC
    VOY
    ENT

Star Trek discovery over Voy? why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Discovery demonstrates Federation technology that would have baffled TOS as much as Organian science. Constitution class starships have been redesigned into warships instead of science vessels.

Clearly not the same reality.

Extraordinary Member

TOS, TNG, and DS9 remain the only truly good Star Trek shows. Discovery could have been another if not for the character of Burnham who should never have been more than a supporting character. Picard is just a bad show, though TNG season 1 was also terrible, so maybe it can turn it around like that show did.

Discovery is better on average than Voyager or Enterprise, which in a typical week were awful, but at the same time those shows had the occasional great episode while Discovery never rises that far or below 'ok,' again because Burnham is one of the least compelling characters in the show's cast and the least compelling main character in all of Star Trek.

1. DS9
    2. TOS
    3. TNG Seasons 2-7

Huge gap in quality here, like comparing Wrath of Khan to TMP.

4. DIS - At least I'm invested in the character who aren't Michael.
    6. VOY - Only ranked ahead of ENT because of the Doctor and 7 of 9.
    7. ENT
    8. Picard
    9. TNG season 1 It's shocking the show got a second season with how bad practically every single episode of the first season is. Truly some of the worst television ever.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-02-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Haven't seen DSC yet, but I think PIC slots in after TNG and TOS in terms of favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Discovery demonstrates Federation technology that would have baffled TOS as much as Organian science. Constitution class starships have been redesigned into warships instead of science vessels.

Clearly not the same reality.
    The other installments contradict each other on certain points; TOS never had a consistent time stamp until the movies, there were at least three different "first warp starships" (the Bonaventure, the original TOS Enterprise, and the Phoenix), the center of the Galaxy could be easily traveled to until TNG and VOY decided it couldn't, Starfleet was written like a military until it wasn't, money was used until it was retconned that it never was, the change in Klingon makeup was so infamous it inspired whole stories to address it, TAS shows holodecks were used during TOS but VOY would claim that they didn't exist, ENT had cloaking technology when TOS had it as a brand-new invention, etc. The franchise has always reimagined its visuals with minimal concern to continuity, at best.

Clearly, DSC and PIC is just business as usual in terms of its approach to the franchise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)