Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Oh, geez;
    Oh geez, indeed

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Um, this is not the Prime Universe or the Abrams Universe. It is a new thing. Not necessarily bad, not not part of what has come before.
    People like to say this but it is very much a prequel to the TOS

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    People like to say this but it is very much a prequel to the TOS
    I don't like to say it. I hate saying it. Denying it is silly though.

Incredible Member

I don't really care what fan theories say or what Unification 3 (whatever that is) say.
    Unification 3 is an episode of Discovery that uses footage from the Next Generation "Unification 2" episode. So the logical progression is, Discovery and Next Gen take place in the same continuity. Progressed out further, since NG takes place in the same continuity as everything but the newest movies, Discovery is in the "prime" continuity.
    Sounds perfect.

I don't like to say it. I hate saying it. Denying it is silly though.
    Denying it is indeed silly: see below and the video posted before as to why Discovery is set in the same continuity as the original, the Next Generation and the films based on those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Unification 3 is an episode of Discovery that uses footage from the Next Generation "Unification 2" episode. So the logical progression is, Discovery and Next Gen take place in the same continuity. Progressed out further, since NG takes place in the same continuity as everything but the newest movies, Discovery is in the "prime" continuity.

BANNED

Denying it is indeed silly: see below and the video posted before as to why Discovery is set in the same continuity as the original, the Next Generation and the films based on those shows.
    I saw it. I rest my case.

I saw it. I rest my case.
    Based on what? The creators and the owners of the property say it is so...anything else would be fan theory.

BANNED

Based on what? The creators and the owners of the property say it is so...anything else would be fan theory.
    based on what I said orignally. Technologically, you don't get from Discovery to TOS. It's a regression of science, not a progression. Plus, Constitution Class starships have been redesigned into warships better suited to the mirror universe.

Call it fan service if you like. I'll call it common sense, thank you very much.

EDIT: As a reminder, Studios don't get to decide what is continuity. Fans do. Fan service is what happens when studios break their own established story and give a nod to a previous continuity that is beloved by fans, trying to force it into their own continuity.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 01-03-2021 at 05:26 PM.

based on what I said orignally. Technologically, you don't get from Discovery to TOS. It's a regression of science, not a progression. Plus, Constitution Class starships have been redesigned into warships better suited to the mirror universe.

Call it fan service if you like. I'll call it common sense, thank you very much.

EDIT: As a reminder, Studios don't get to decide what is continuity. Fans do. Fan service is what happens when studios abandon their own established story and give a nod to a previous continuity that is beloved by fans, trying to force it into their own continuity.
    Fans very much don't get to decide what is and isn't continuity. We can create out of fan canon (or fanon) and that's all well and fine, I do it all the time whether it's with Batman, Star Wars or Hellboy but the people getting paid to write the stories and create the content define the actual canon.

As for the aesthetics of the technology, that's pretty easy; one show was created in the 1960's using the best technology available to them with in the budget given and suited for the audience of its time and the other is a show created now with modern technology and budget for a modern audience's sensibilities so of course the look between the two shows is going to be different.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-03-2021 at 05:31 PM.

BANNED

Fans very much don't get to decide what is and isn't continuity. We can create out of fan canon (or fanon) and that's all well and fine, I do it all the time whether it's with Batman, Star Wars or Hellboy but the people getting paid to write the stories and create the content define the actual canon.
    I agree that fans don't get to create canon. They do get to decide from established"offical" content what is canon, and they do so all the time.

I agree that fans don't get to create canon. They do get to decide from established"offical" content what is canon, and they do so all the time.
    That's called fanon and is very different than canon. Like I said, it's a valid part of the hobby and I do it myself counting what stories I like and discarding what I don't but what I like and what I think counts could be very different than what you like and what you believe should count.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

My ranking:

TV/SHOWS:
    TNG
    DS9
    TOS
    PIC
    ENT
    VOY
    DIS
    LD
    TAS

MOVIES:
    The Wrath of Khan
    First Contact
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Search for Spock
    Beyond
    ST 2009
    The Voyage Home
    Generations
    Nemesis
    Insurrection
    Into Darkness
    The Motion Picture
    The Final Frontier

Oh geez, indeed
    That makes one of us.

That is irrelevant to DSC's canonical status (and furthermore, if contradictions were all it took to declare something non-canon, we'd have to throw out everything).

EDIT: As a reminder, Studios don't get to decide what is continuity. Fans do. Fan service is what happens when studios break their own established story and give a nod to a previous continuity that is beloved by fans, trying to force it into their own continuity.
    That is so wrong, it's not even worth entertaining; studios are the only ones who decide what is canon. We the fans decide nothing. We can have our own opinions on whether we like the new installments or how the internal logic works (e.g. reconciling the Disco-prise with the TOS Enterprise), but that is it. It is a fact that DSC (and PIC, LDS, and other shows on the drawing board) are prime universe canon. End of discussion and time to get back on track with actual topic of conversation that this thread is made for. If you want to continue headcanon that DSC is a reboot, I suggest you go to the Ex Astris Scientia fan site or other echo chambers that try to convince themselves that DSC is not canon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm never watching Picard unless I'm forced to watch it. I've only seen one season of Voyager and Discovery due to how shows are released here.

TNG
    Enterprise
    DS9
    Voyager
    Discovery

Voyager and Discovery is actually a tie for me since it feels like the same show.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Discovery takes place 10-15 years before Star Trek TOS.

Fans have theories on if it is a new thing because there are so many plot holes and inconsistency. However Unification 3 certifies Discovery is set in the prime universe at least with season 1 and season 2.
    In a lot of ways, I wish they just set Discovery in the Abrams Universe. Then the continuity issues wouldn't have been so jarring. Tech that shouldn't be? Oh tech got more advanced due to stuff recovered from the Narada and its proliferation. Events that never happened? Everything started diverging at Kirk's birth. Established characters acting OOC? They had different life experiences. It would have been so easy... Alas, what could have been.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!