Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

1998 was the last good year of Trek until Discovery and Picard. That final season of DS9 was a huge stinker. Voyager and Enterprise were never much good. And Nemesis pretty much killed the franchise until Discovery.

DS9 S4-6
    Discovery
    Picard
    TNG
    DS9 S1-3
    TOS (many of these episodes really don't age well, imo; there's basically too much magical supernatural stuff for me)

Everything else is bad.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Imagine thinking Picard is better than TNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    They're two very different shows, even beyond one being very episodic with a lot of one and done short stories and the other being one large story told in ten chunks. Seeing as TNG had seven years worth of material and PIC about half a year's worth, I don't think it's exactly a fair comparison. That said, I think they work well as companion pieces.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. 25 years ago DS9 was considered the anti-Trek by many fans and while some still regard it as such it's definitely more appreciated and liked now than when it originally aired. I don't think there's enough of a sample size of Picard to really judge it right now. I wouldn't rank it ahead of TNG but I also revere TNG as the quintessential Star Trek.

I want to give ENT some love, while I liked season 1 and 2 I can understand the dislike for them. But seriously Season 3 was good with the Expanse and was honestly what VOY should had been with them making tough decisions to survive and Season 4 was just Fantastic IMO some of best Trek around until the finale which wasn't real just a Riker fantasy that's my story and I'm sticking to it the real finale was Terra Prime.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. 25 years ago DS9 was considered the anti-Trek by many fans and while some still regard it as such it's definitely more appreciated and liked now than when it originally aired. I don't think there's enough of a sample size of Picard to really judge it right now. I wouldn't rank it ahead of TNG but I also revere TNG as the quintessential Star Trek.
    DS9 had characters from the start, maybe not to the extent that TNG created but DS9 grew exceptionally well and the story evolved from what TNG started. Sisko is so underrated as best captain next to Picard and Kirk. Discovery has no good characters, the characters are below bland, Picard characters are waste of spaces. What was the point of brining back 7 of 9? she is nothing in Picard except an action character they made gay, she got zero story. you combine that with the mediocre plot of both series, it should put those series below Voyager and Enterprise. Maybe some fans will call Voyager and Enterprise as bad trek , however Discovery and Picard are bad shows.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-05-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They're two very different shows, even beyond one being very episodic with a lot of one and done short stories and the other being one large story told in ten chunks. Seeing as TNG had seven years worth of material and PIC about half a year's worth, I don't think it's exactly a fair comparison. That said, I think they work well as companion pieces.
    One of them was just a poorly written jumble of fucking garbage! Which one? You decide!

Nah, it's Picard. TNG definitely had growing pains. But it was 1989. TV wasn't quite up to the level it is now. None of the characters were fleshed out or lived in. Etc etc.

Picard was just a badly made show. High production values, lots of fan service, some genuinely wonderful moments all wrapped up in a story that was terrible. It could have been good! It wasn't a bad idea, they just didn't nail the execution. But this is just what I thought of it.

One of them was just a poorly written jumble of fucking garbage! Which one? You decide!

Nah, it's Picard. TNG definitely had growing pains. But it was 1989. TV wasn't quite up to the level it is now. None of the characters were fleshed out or lived in. Etc etc.

Picard was just a badly made show. High production values, lots of fan service, some genuinely wonderful moments all wrapped up in a story that was terrible. It could have been good! It wasn't a bad idea, they just didn't nail the execution. But this is just what I thought of it.
    Dunno, I think TNG had a worse first season, although I did like better episodes on the whole more. Also, after seeing Picard in a show where he was almost always right, having him being in one where he had failed and needing to own up to that and find humility to go forward and all that was very interesting. The social commentary was very timely, too. But that's just me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Star Trek discovery 3 last episode air this week and season 3 has been about nothing.

If you had told me there would be a star wars series better than trek I would have laughed.

Mandolaran is no masterpiece but it has to be better than Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Star Trek discovery 3 last episode air this week and season 3 has been about nothing.

If you had told me there would be a star wars series better than trek I would have laughed.

Mandolaran is no masterpiece but it has to be better than Discovery.
    Tbh, I find the Mandalorian to be better than half of Trek, including Voyager and Enterprise, and also one of the better shows out there in general since its first release. There's no shame in coming in behind the Mandalorian.

(And maybe, I dunno, don't laugh at what people dig? It could be quality for all you know, or it might just not be for you. No individual is the single most arbiter of taste in television.)
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-05-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Dunno, I think TNG had a worse first season, although I did like better episodes on the whole more. Also, after seeing Picard in a show where he was almost always right, having him being in one where he had failed and needing to own up to that and find humility to go forward and all that was very interesting. The social commentary was very timely, too. But that's just me.
    The only episode I liked top to bottom was the Riker/Troi episode and it was all feel good fan service. It worked, but that's all it was. The two best new cast members were dropped after episode 2. Hugh was lovely, but killed immediately. 7 of 9 was there. For reasons. She added nothing. But ended up romantically involved with Rafi, again, for reasons. They shared not a single meaningful scene together, but are now holding hands at the end... ? What? Also Rafi was bad.

I've said the whole time there was a much more interesting show in the Borg Reclamation Project, with Picard having to finally face that demon head on. There was something much more fitting to the character and his age in that, than a big epic outlaw space pirate show with Lord of the Rings Romulans, and borderline incestuous siblings from a CW drama.

I'm not saying it can't improve if they make more, but what it was did not do **** for me.

And the kill Picard but JK ending was amazingly bad.

My Star Trek rankings -

1.) TNG (God Tier)
    2.) TOS
    3.) TOS Movies
    4.) Deep Space Nine
    5.) TOS Animated Series
    6.) TNG Movies
    7.) Voyager
    8.) Enterprise
    9.) Picard
    10.) Discovery
    11.) Reboot Movies
    12.) Lower Decks (Trash Tier)
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

And the kill Picard but JK ending was amazingly bad.
    I suspect that I like Picard more than you, but on this point, it really highlights the problems with the show -- not everything has to be EPIC DESTROYING THREATs. The show had real big problems with pacing, where the last few episodes were ramped up and dialed to 11. Picard's death really should be a series finale, not the end of 1 season.

And on the other hand, I still feel like Picard would be better as a serialized limited series, not an ongoing show with no determinate end. If it's a limited series and they want to keep the ending the same, then there's no need for the amount of world building and stuffing the show put in to forced additional time constraints. Have the mystery be Picard's one last adventure and stay grounded by focusing only on that. No need for the Lovecraftian multiversal threat. No need for the murder conspiracies. Use the xBs as a reflection on Picard's work in TNG, not as pawns in yet another game. Etc. etc.

I realize this isn't everyone's cup of earl grey, but I really liked the more contemplative approach of the first few episodes. I thought it was brilliant to show that Picard can't run up the stairs anymore, since it imposes real limitations on what the characters as a whole (not just Picard) can do. The story really should have been finding purpose in retirement after your loved ones have gone or moved on, which is what *started* the arc but was shoved to the side in order for the same old mystery box approach.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-05-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    you combine that with the mediocre plot of both series, it should put those series below Voyager and Enterprise. Maybe some fans will call Voyager and Enterprise as bad trek , however Discovery and Picard are bad shows.
    As I see it, they used to be the "bad Trek" but then what came after was so amazingly bad that it made what was previously bad seem very good in comparison. This is similar to how I feel about the Star Wars prequels now.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Tbh, I find the Mandalorian to be better than half of Trek, including Voyager and Enterprise, and also one of the better shows out there in general since its first release. There's no shame in coming in behind the Mandalorian.

(And maybe, I dunno, don't laugh at what people dig? It could be quality for all you know, or it might just not be for you. No individual is the single most arbiter of taste in television.)
    Star Trek had better tv shows. Trek in general was best on TV, Star Wars was better off as movies. the geekdom got this. Additionally while I like star wars, I think a lot of the best TNG episodes is better written and acted than anything in star wars.

CBS all access made have made a mistake with Discovery and Picard. they picked The writer of Transformers and the JJ Abrams Movies to run the show with a co runner whose work credit is mostly CW shows. when you have those type of people running Trek, there is no hope or chance it can rise to the level of the Rick Berman era