Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 235
  1. #166
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,505

    Default

    Lauren Tom.

  2. #167
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, with Cassandra's appearance in Infinite Frontier wearing her old Batgirl outfit,

    any idea of what name they're referring to her as?
    Stephanie is wearing her Spoiler outfit, so even if she's in a group referred to as "Batgirls", they can still easily jut refer to Steph herself as "Spoiler".
    Unfortunately, I think Orphan is the most likely option for Cassandra name.

    Although it is possible Stephanie has a Batgirl suit later.

  3. #168
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    Oh. Thank mods. It's been getting too heated in multiple threads.

    Well now that's out of the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who would you like to voice Cass in an animated show or game?
    Cristina Vee. She's voiced cute characters (Marinette) and dark characters (Velvet) so I think she can strike the balance for Cass.

  4. #169
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think Orphan is the most likely option for Cassandra name.
    But unfortunately, "Orphan" is an uninspiring code-name.

    I don't want Cass to take the "Batgirl" name (too many problems with that), and I did like when she was "Black Bat" prior to Flashpoint, but I don't know if there was a problem with that because of the old pulp magazine character who was called that (and who Dynamite brought back in a comic book more recently).




    While I don't know if DC has reused the name / character recently, there's always "Fruit Bat".

    Not sure how many people may prefer that to "Orphan", though.

  5. #170
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    64,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who would you like to voice Cass in an animated show or game?
    Faye Mata?

    With Cass, you need someone (preferably Asian) who can pull off a monosyllabic character who speaks more through her actions than her words but where every one or two words is especially meaningful. Unless you get her internal monologue, initially you probably won't hear more than a few words or grunts.

  6. #171
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But unfortunately, "Orphan" is an uninspiring code-name.

    I don't want Cass to take the "Batgirl" name (too many problems with that), and I did like when she was "Black Bat" prior to Flashpoint, but I don't know if there was a problem with that because of the old pulp magazine character who was called that (and who Dynamite brought back in a comic book more recently).




    While I don't know if DC has reused the name / character recently, there's always "Fruit Bat".

    Not sure how many people may prefer that to "Orphan", though.
    There are a lot of names for bats, like the latin ones they use for the name of Batman Begins soundtrack, though they already use Cafe Chiroptera for Burnside and Vesper for Bruce's murdered girlfriend
    The genus that exists in China includes Myotis and Nyctalus
    Something night theme can work too, whether it's Nightbat, simple, to the point, or that Nyctae

    Oh yeah. Someone in the other thread offered Silhouette. That's cool.

  7. #172
    Incredible Member prepmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. Thank mods. It's been getting too heated in multiple threads.

    Well now that's out of the way...
    I find it hilarous that a title of a Batman's underling is something that has to be shared among 3 people just because the title of that underling is more well known than other titles. Its like "Lets compete against each other to see who is Batman's best female underling" while writers would use them all as fodders to the villains.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-05-2021 at 11:41 AM.

  8. #173
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I find it hilarous that a title of a Batman's underling is something that has to be shared among 3 people just because the title of that underling is more well known than other titles. Its like "Lets compete against each other to see who is Batman's best female underling" while writers would use them all as fodders to the villains.
    That's the problem with branded characters. The company's use of the branding make it feel important, and in turn, it makes the fans feel that it's important.

    Though for now Batgirl is safe from being fodder since these days DC has had some awareness, and WB knows Batgirl is a marketable brand... and that's another thing. Being in a bigger brand, on top of meaning it's more appearances everywhere, should, in theory, keep certain characters safer than the others. People want their faves to be safe.

    Batman is the top brand at DC that WB only interfered when King wanted him to be married and Didio wanted to replace him with a black man for 5 years. The black Batman is now relegated to 2-issue alternate future and a mini series.

    The higher you get the safer you are, and Batgirl's pretty high, all things considering.

    Though still, if it's not Barbara, that doesn't guarantee a placement, since the executives have their faves too. Cass had no support outside of comics during her era, though it's getting better in the past 10 years since some writers, including big names like Snyder and Tynion, Greg Weissman in Young Justice cartoon, wanted or want to use her even when she's not the Batgirl.

  9. #174
    Incredible Member prepmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Though still, if it's not Barbara, that doesn't guarantee a placement, since the executives have their faves too. Cass had no support outside of comics during her era, though it's getting better in the past 10 years since some writers, including big names like Snyder and Tynion, Greg Weissman in Young Justice cartoon, wanted or want to use her even when she's not the Batgirl.
    I dont see Cass playing any significant role in DCEU. She was pretty much Harley's underling in BoP movie.

    Batman's world revolves around the conflict between him and his villains. It is why character like Harley becomes more popular = more profitable overtime while Batman's underlings still have to be attached to Batman and their most popular stories are being crippled or murdered.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-05-2021 at 12:09 PM.

  10. #175
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I dont see Cass playing any significant role in DCEU. She was pretty much Harley's underling in BoP movie.
    Eh, they are more likely to shift canon or retcon stuff than Marvel. But yeah, her outlook ain't great at the moment.

  11. #176
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I dont see Cass playing any significant role in DCEU. She was pretty much Harley's underling in BoP movie.
    She's not but the fact that she even appear in a movie. Usually it's just Barbara, if any.

  12. #177
    Spectacular Member km_sus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    147

    Default

    I liked the name 'Crow' for Cassandra, but I think that name was soundly taken by James O'Barr over 30 years ago.

  13. #178
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I find it hilarous that a title of a Batman's underling is something that has to be shared among 3 people just because the title of that underling is more well known than other titles. Its like "Lets compete against each other to see who is Batman's best female underling" while writers would use them all as fodders to the villains.
    I think it’s interesting because it probably springs more out of the limbo and drama caused by DC fumbling with the Batgirls so often that they wound up trying to declare Steph and Cass toxic because of the Batgril identity, and issue the Robins never had.

    I think there’s a definite connection between the fact that the Gotham Knight video game features 3 Robins and only 1 Batgirl and the fact that DC not only sabotaged and torpedoed both Cass and Steph, but also tried to deny they existed and then deny they had worn the mantle.

    It’s not much, really, in terms of actual substance, but it plays into the “exile” the other Batgirls had compared to Babs. Getting the title back and recognized, even briefly, can restore some ease in describing them (“She’s one of the Batgirls,”) before trying to move them back to acknowledging growth behind that role.

    (I’d argue that Cass benefits more than Steph, just because Cass’s first superhero ID was Batgirl, so denying her that undermined her more.)
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

  14. #179
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I find it hilarous that a title of a Batman's underling is something that has to be shared among 3 people just because the title of that underling is more well known than other titles. Its like "Lets compete against each other to see who is Batman's best female underling" while writers would use them all as fodders to the villains.
    Do you think Batman is a villain? Because that is the only reason I can see for why you keep referring to the Batfamily as underlings.

    Also, I'd be very careful about what you say here since another commenter just got banned for these types of inflammatory comments in an appreciation thread.

  15. #180
    Incredible Member prepmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do you think Batman is a villain? Because that is the only reason I can see for why you keep referring to the Batfamily as underlings.

    Also, I'd be very careful about what you say here since another commenter just got banned for these types of inflammatory comments in an appreciation thread.
    I see Batman as the overling.

    If you appreciate the character, you should care more about the story function of the character. Right now they are rightfully Batman's underlings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •