Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 110
  1. #1

    Default Moon Knight Appreciation 2021



    Once upon a time he was a somewhat unhinged man with aliases. He's awesome, and he's not Batman.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    4,445

    Default

    I know it's a rather controversial opinion, but I really enjoyed Warren Ellis' Moon Knight (especially Mr. Knight):


  3. #3
    Mighty Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,938

    Default

    It’s controversial to like Ellis’ Moon Knight??

  4. #4
    Thinking the Unthinkable DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It’s controversial to like Ellis’ Moon Knight??
    No, it's somewhat controversial to like Ellis, after the events of last summer.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    No, it's somewhat controversial to like Ellis, after the events of last summer.
    Man, I actually completely forgot about that.

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    63,896

    Default

    Happy New Year to Moon Knight .

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member Jack The Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Just finished reading all Moon Knight solos since 2006 (Beginning with Huston's issues).

    Moon Knight really is one of the strangest characters in the big two's comics. I don't think I know a character to have had so many different change ups in such a short time period.

    My personal ranking, from best to worst:

    Ellis, Wood, and Bunn's run (With Bunn's being the weakest)
    Lemire's run,
    Hurwitz's Vengeance of the Moon Knight (volume 1 being the best of it)
    Huston/Benson's run
    Bemis' run
    Bendis' run

    All in all, I found aspects to enjoy in all of them, but I wish there was just a bit more cohesiveness to Marc's character and his alters. Sometimes it could feel like each run started without carrying on from the previous run, which I didn't mind in some cases. But when it was too jarring it hurt for some renditions of the character (Bemis and Bendis being the most obvious examples).

    I look forward to getting into the older stuff when I can find the time! As I really do enjoy the character and the potential he possesses!

    I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on Moon Knight!

  8. #8
    Thinking the Unthinkable DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on Moon Knight!
    In brief... I am sick & tired of DID stories. While the proper representation of characters with mental health issues is important, it shouldn't be the only thing that the book is about. MK has the potential to be a great mystery/horror book, but only with a writer willing to break out of the "Marc goes nuts and isn't sure if Khonsu is real" mold.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,938

    Default

    The closest to the original Moench run was probably the Ellis/Wood/Bunn run, but that quickly once again got tied up in Khonsu and his psyche again. I enjoyed Huston’s run: it was essentially my introduction to Moon Knight when it first came out.

    I’m hoping to track down some of the original Moench run this year.

  10. #10
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Just finished reading all Moon Knight solos since 2006 (Beginning with Huston's issues).

    Moon Knight really is one of the strangest characters in the big two's comics. I don't think I know a character to have had so many different change ups in such a short time period.

    My personal ranking, from best to worst:

    Ellis, Wood, and Bunn's run (With Bunn's being the weakest)
    Lemire's run,
    Hurwitz's Vengeance of the Moon Knight (volume 1 being the best of it)
    Huston/Benson's run
    Bemis' run
    Bendis' run

    All in all, I found aspects to enjoy in all of them, but I wish there was just a bit more cohesiveness to Marc's character and his alters. Sometimes it could feel like each run started without carrying on from the previous run, which I didn't mind in some cases. But when it was too jarring it hurt for some renditions of the character (Bemis and Bendis being the most obvious examples).

    I look forward to getting into the older stuff when I can find the time! As I really do enjoy the character and the potential he possesses!

    I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on Moon Knight!
    I agree with a lot of this! Though I will admit I enjoyed the Bemis run quite a bit; if only for some new and interesting antagonists for Marc. I'd also throw Lemire's run closer to the bottom because overall I just felt it didn't add anything special or new to MK. Smallwood's art was the saving grace of that run.

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member Jack The Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    In brief... I am sick & tired of DID stories. While the proper representation of characters with mental health issues is important, it shouldn't be the only thing that the book is about. MK has the potential to be a great mystery/horror book, but only with a writer willing to break out of the "Marc goes nuts and isn't sure if Khonsu is real" mold.
    I absolutely get that, and I definitely think that Marc's been written into a corner with the mental health stuff becoming such a tenet of his character. I hope whoever comes next goes in a completely different direction too.

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    The closest to the original Moench run was probably the Ellis/Wood/Bunn run, but that quickly once again got tied up in Khonsu and his psyche again. I enjoyed Huston’s run: it was essentially my introduction to Moon Knight when it first came out.

    I’m hoping to track down some of the original Moench run this year.
    Yeah I thought Ellis' issues were easily the strongest, and that is definitely due to the anthology/monster of the week aspect (which was nicely tied up for issue 6)!

    I think the only reason I didn't enjoy Huston's run that much is because, to me, it felt as though it was forcing itself to be dark and making Marc quite unlikable felt a bit off kilter! Killer art though, and I enjoyed the antagonists!

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member Jack The Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I agree with a lot of this! Though I will admit I enjoyed the Bemis run quite a bit; if only for some new and interesting antagonists for Marc. I'd also throw Lemire's run closer to the bottom because overall I just felt it didn't add anything special or new to MK. Smallwood's art was the saving grace of that run.
    I actually didn't dislike Bemis' run as much as others! I enjoyed some of the humour and the art was really great. I just felt it was a bit inconsistent and lacked a true goal (for me the finale felt rushed and all over the place). It will be very interesting to see where Marc goes next.

    As for Lemire, I think I liked it because it felt as though it dealt with the DID aspect well, in a way which felt authentic and not just "this guy is a bit loopy because he has three identities". Not to mention, the art was very appropriate and really helped me immerse myself in the story. It attempted to say something serious and concrete about a character who has, in recent years, been given a lot of status quo shake ups. To me it feels like the perfect way to end the "mental health" chapter of Moon Knight honestly!

  13. #13

    Default

    in the aftermath of the Avengers stuff, what is his status quo?

  14. #14
    Thinking the Unthinkable DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the aftermath of the Avengers stuff, what is his status quo?
    This, basically:


  15. #15
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I actually didn't dislike Bemis' run as much as others! I enjoyed some of the humour and the art was really great. I just felt it was a bit inconsistent and lacked a true goal (for me the finale felt rushed and all over the place). It will be very interesting to see where Marc goes next.

    As for Lemire, I think I liked it because it felt as though it dealt with the DID aspect well, in a way which felt authentic and not just "this guy is a bit loopy because he has three identities". Not to mention, the art was very appropriate and really helped me immerse myself in the story. It attempted to say something serious and concrete about a character who has, in recent years, been given a lot of status quo shake ups. To me it feels like the perfect way to end the "mental health" chapter of Moon Knight honestly!
    The lack of true goal definitely rings true. It felt like Bemis wanted to ground him with the daughter bit but it was clunky and feels like something no other writer will ever pick up again. The final felt rushed but I also remember Bemis on Twitter saying he didn’t originally plan for the book to end when it did. He planned stuff for years lol

    I can also totally agree with Lemire’s run feeling like it closed the mental health chapter but outside of that it just left me cold. There was something about his MK that just lacked...life, imo. I’m also not the biggest Lemire fan in general though so that could’ve also had something to do with it.

    I would love for a new series with Christian Ward on art

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •