Default Strange Academy issue #14

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-15-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read it. I didn't care for it, to be honest. I've only read a couple issues of this series. It feels too much like a Marvel mashup of Harry Potter and the X-Men for me to read it regularly so I pretty much dropped it after the first couple issues and only occasionally read it to see what the writers are up to with the story. I read this one because the pitch for it was so dramatic: you will see the future of the Marvel Universe!!!! I dunno what to make of this series. Based on this issue, the teachers seem super reckless. Kids, time travel is one of the most dangerous and morally troubling thing you can ever do. Here's an introductory lesson in how to do time travel. Okay! Off you go then on your own with no adult supervision! Don't do anything stupid because you could break all of time and space forever!!! DUN DUN DUN...

Plus, I don't know if this series has ever bothered to explain where Doyle Dormammu came from or why Dormammu would allow him to hang out on earth and be taught by his arch enemy, Doctor Strange. This character doesn't make any sense to me so it's hard for me to care too much about his problems.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I read it. I didn't care for it, to be honest. I've only read a couple issues of this series. It feels too much like a Marvel mashup of Harry Potter and the X-Men for me to read it regularly so I pretty much dropped it after the first couple issues and only occasionally read it to see what the writers are up to with the story. I read this one because the pitch for it was so dramatic: you will see the future of the Marvel Universe!!!! I dunno what to make of this series. Based on this issue, the teachers seem super reckless. Kids, time travel is one of the most dangerous and morally troubling thing you can ever do. Here's an introductory lesson in how to do time travel. Okay! Off you go then on your own with no adult supervision! Don't do anything stupid because you could break all of time and space forever!!! DUN DUN DUN...

Plus, I don't know if this series has ever bothered to explain where Doyle Dormammu came from or why Dormammu would allow him to hang out on earth and be taught by his arch enemy, Doctor Strange. This character doesn't make any sense to me so it's hard for me to care too much about his problems.
    Personally in my case, I began to read it after knowing that the mother of the asgardian twins is Amora the Enchantress, before that, I really didn't care for it. I'm just here to see more of it but I have no idea if this is going to have more continuity after the special or can be ignored and only mentioned sometimes, potential have a lot but it is a bit uncertain.

I always assumed his mother enrolled him behind Dormammu's back.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I always assumed his mother enrolled him behind Dormammu's back.
    You're assuming that there is a mother. The Faltine are energy beings who normally reproduce by spawning a copy of themselves. Umar took physical form and mated with a humanoid, resulting in the birth of Clea, (Taking physical form like this and giving birth drove her insane) but Dormammu rejected taking physical form and chose to stay in the quasi-energy/quasi human shaped form we typically see. Perhaps Doyle is the product of the usual Faltine spawning process (no mother), and he's taken the hybrid Faltine/humanoid form of his sire. Perhaps Dormammu decided to risk Umar's fate by taking full physical form in order to mate with someone in order to produce an heir. Perhaps he mated with someone in the quasi-energy/quasi-human shaped form we see him in. We don't know. Still, it seems like an awfully big development given what we know about the Faltine in general and Dormammu in particular. The writer(s) on this title seem to have simply glossed over all of that just so they could have a kid Faltine for this book. I'd like to know how this kid came to be, not because I care about Doyle (I don't) but because I'm interested in Dormammu.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Not yet but I figured Dormamu doesn't know or doesn't care.

The latter is similar to Killua's father in the manga Hunter X Hunter. In that series Killua is the heir to a family if Assassins. He rebels but his father forgives him, deciding that he knows his son and he will come back. So it's how I saw Doyle's presence.

Ultimate Member

Plus what's up with the flaming head? We've seen Dormammu's face, from before he had the flames of regency, and had long black hair like his sister. Doyle, unless he's the actual ruler of the Dark Dimension, shouldn't have the flames of regency obscuring his face, but a normal human face. (Are the flames an illusion that 'Doyle' keeps up to hide his teen acne? 'Cause that would be funny and appropriate. Is 'Doyle' a made-up name used only for this visit to Earth by a Faltinian whose relatives have given names like 'Dormammu' and 'Umar' and whose real name is probably something with a lot of U's, R's and M's in it, or does he have an Earth-human mother who named him? Is the writer clueless and had no understanding of the flames of regency or what Dormammu actually looked like? We'll never know.)

Plus the kids rarely used spells or invocations or anything that felt like 'magic,' from the few issues I read. It was all different colored zaps, none of which seemed to do much, even when they missed and hit each other, which means they were less effective than Captain America punching someone. Ooh, this one shoots fire-that-doesn't-do-much, making him totally different from this other one who shoots green-stuff-that-doesn't-do-much. Such magic. :/

I could have totally been a fan of this book, loving the whole magical mythos built up around Dr. Strange and other supernatural related characters, but this just flat-out ignored what had been built before and then didn't even bother to tell a compelling story with the new stuff. I can totally dig something that ignores canon and makes something new, like Krakoa or the Runaways, but it's got to be a good story!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Plus what's up with the flaming head? We've seen Dormammu's face, from before he had the flames of regency, and had long black hair like his sister. Doyle, unless he's the actual ruler of the Dark Dimension, shouldn't have the flames of regency obscuring his face, but a normal human face. (Are the flames an illusion that 'Doyle' keeps up to hide his teen acne? 'Cause that would be funny and appropriate. Is 'Doyle' a made-up name used only for this visit to Earth by a Faltinian whose relatives have given names like 'Dormammu' and 'Umar' and whose real name is probably something with a lot of U's, R's and M's in it, or does he have an Earth-human mother who named him? Is the writer clueless and had no understanding of the flames of regency or what Dormammu actually looked like? We'll never know.)

Plus the kids rarely used spells or invocations or anything that felt like 'magic,' from the few issues I read. It was all different colored zaps, none of which seemed to do much, even when they missed and hit each other, which means they were less effective than Captain America punching someone. Ooh, this one shoots fire-that-doesn't-do-much, making him totally different from this other one who shoots green-stuff-that-doesn't-do-much. Such magic. :/

I could have totally been a fan of this book, loving the whole magical mythos built up around Dr. Strange and other supernatural related characters, but this just flat-out ignored what had been built before and then didn't even bother to tell a compelling story with the new stuff. I can totally dig something that ignores canon and makes something new, like Krakoa or the Runaways, but it's got to be a good story!
    Dormammu didn't originally have a physical form. He and Umar are Faltine mystical energy beings. In the flashback story in which Dormammu was depicted with a human face and long black hair, that was not his real appearance. He's made up of pure magical energy. He can make himself look like whatever he wants. He's not just a man with the Flames of Regency obscuring his face. He's literally energy being wearing a symbolic crown of energy. He and Umar took on human form for a while as they were taking over the Dark Dimension. Umar got trapped in human form and being stuck in a physical body drove her insane. She still flips out if she's reminded of what her true energy being form is. Dormammu rejected staying in human form and took on the quasi human form/energy being appearance that we typically see, but even what we see is not his true form. It's just how he's chosen to appear to manifest himself in the physical world.

So far as Doyle is concerned, when he was temporarily dead in this series, his corpse had a physical form with a pumpkin-head sort of face. Why? That's not what Dormammu looks like or the Dark Dimension human races. When he was restored to life, he started wearing the Flames of Regency again, which he shouldn't be shown manifesting because only the ruler of the Dark Dimension can wear the Flames of Regency. I just don't know what to think about this character. Perhaps the writer(s) will explain his origin one day. Perhaps not.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Dormammu didn't originally have a physical form. He and Umar are Faltine mystical energy beings. In the flashback story in which Dormammu was depicted with a human face and long black hair, that was not his real appearance. He's made up of pure magical energy. He can make himself look like whatever he wants. He's not just a man with the Flames of Regency obscuring his face. He's literally energy being wearing a symbolic crown of energy. He and Umar took on human form for a while as they were taking over the Dark Dimension. Umar got trapped in human form and being stuck in a physical body drove her insane. She still flips out if she's reminded of what her true energy being form is. Dormammu rejected staying in human form and took on the quasi human form/energy being appearance that we typically see, but even what we see is not his true form. It's just how he's chosen to appear to manifest himself in the physical world.
    There was a story in the later DS:SS era (specifically issue #73) where Dormy had an aged human form. But then again, he was entering an anti-magic field to negotiate a truce, so perhaps he took a temporary host so as to not vanish completely.

(Still doesn't explain Doyle, unless he takes after his mother. )

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Doyle has a flaming head because Dormammu has a flaming head, and it’s iconic and people instantly recognise it. Don’t think we need an explanation beyond that.