Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    How old was Billy when he started Post-Crisis?
    I believe he was 10, but I think that depends on whether you read the Roy Thomas Captain Marvel series or the John Ostrander Power of Shazam series. But if I recall correctly in power of Shazam, the original graphic novel, they retconned Thomas’ story and said Billy was 10, then in the ongoing he was like 14 or 15 because they also acknowledged his time in the dc universe like with Justice League International.
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-01-2021 at 05:49 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nothing seems to end well for the Marvel Family .
    I wish there was a way to combine the good things from the New 52 Shazam reboot (the foster family and focus on the magical adventures) with what fans of classic Captain Marvel liked about the character, such as the inherent purity and optimism of Billy Batson. Unless someone successfully blends these two versions together, I have a feeling DC will never realise the full potential of what Captain Marvel or Shazam's character can bring to their lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    . . . or the John Ostrander Power of Shazam series . . .
    When did John Ostrander work on a Power of Shazam! series?!?

Did you mean Jerry Ordway?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I wish there was a way to combine the good things from the New 52 Shazam reboot (the foster family and focus on the magical adventures) with what fans of classic Captain Marvel liked about the character, such as the inherent purity and optimism of Billy Batson. Unless someone successfully blends these two versions together, I have a feeling DC will never realise the full potential of what Captain Marvel or Shazam's character can bring to their lineup.
    I liked seeing a more traditional version of Billy in the Lego Shazam animated film.

(Of course, that also had Mary as his biological sister, so it seems like it was leaning much harder on the classic take).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I believe he was 10, but I think that depends on whether you read the Roy Thomas Captain Marvel series or the John Ostrander Power of Shazam series. But if I recall correctly in power of Shazam, the original graphic novel, they retconned Thomas’ story and said Billy was 10, then in the ongoing he was like 14 or 15 because they also acknowledged his time in the dc universe like with Justice League International.
    I read about the retcon but it didn't mention his age. The only thing I know was Batman saying he's about Robin's age in Batman/Superman Public Enemies. At that time.. that was right before Infinite Crisis... Robin was 16, though in 1989 he was 12. So if Billy started out 10 in the 80s, having him 14 sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    When did John Ostrander work on a Power of Shazam! series?!?

Did you mean Jerry Ordway?
    I did mean Jerry Ordway my mistake
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

There are hints that a Justice Incarnate may come.

I believe Mary Marvel of Earth 5 is a member.

So let me see if I got this right, big Infinite Frontier and Future State spoilers

spoilers:
    Alright so the Wizard Shazam was just murdered by Darkseid and the Rock of Eternity is trapped in Hell with the Unkindness (Raven mixed with the four horseman of the apocalypse) and an alternate future Black Adam who wants to stop at nothing to be free. Meaning that Billy's powers are shorting out or something, and the one who gave him powers are gone and can't help
    end of spoilers

Man things are not going well for the Marvel family right now.
    Words to live by.

So let me see if I got this right, big Infinite Frontier and Future State spoilers

spoilers:
    Alright so the Wizard Shazam was just murdered by Darkseid and the Rock of Eternity is trapped in Hell with the Unkindness (Raven mixed with the four horseman of the apocalypse) and an alternate future Black Adam who wants to stop at nothing to be free. Meaning that Billy's powers are shorting out or something, and the one who gave him powers are gone and can't help
    end of spoilers

Man things are not going well for the Marvel family right now.
    Not too excited about this to be honest.

All this talk about DC being less dark and more hopeful certainly hasn't worked for Shazam. Were things ever darker?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    All this talk about DC being less dark and more hopeful certainly hasn't worked for Shazam. Were things ever darker?
    Wasn't there the time he was stuck at the Rock of Eternity in place of the Wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wasn't there the time he was stuck at the Rock of Eternity in place of the Wizard?

I remember the white suit he had when he took over for the Wizard and Jr. had to step up as the new Captain Marvel, but then the whole Cry for Justice storyline happened and then the reboot.
    Words to live by.

Future State has reignited my interests in Captain Marvel. I really like the idea of him leading a team.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.