Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Mary Bromfield makes her Young Justice debut in the latest episode! She gave up being Sergeant Marvel a while ago due to reasons we'll soon discover. She uses the Power in an interesting way by using laylines. Seems like she's trying to use her magic in a new way.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Mary Bromfield makes her Young Justice debut in the latest episode! She gave up being Sergeant Marvel a while ago due to reasons we'll soon discover. She uses the Power in an interesting way by using laylines. Seems like she's trying to use her magic in a new way.
    She also seems a little more aggressive and sassy then I expect from Mary, but I wonder if that's because of what happened to her on the Team.

I hope we do see her transformed at some point. And we see Freddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She also seems a little more aggressive and sassy then I expect from Mary, but I wonder if that's because of what happened to her on the Team.

I hope we do see her transformed at some point. And we see Freddy.
    Yeah I figured whatever ordeal she went through forced her to change or grow up. I hope we see her transform too. Wonder how old she is here. I hope we see Freddy too. What with the name change in the comics from Marvel to Shazam, do you think their names will change here. I actually liked the military rank attached to their names.

Yeah I figured whatever ordeal she went through forced her to change or grow up. I hope we see her transform too. Wonder how old she is here. I hope we see Freddy too. What with the name change in the comics from Marvel to Shazam, do you think their names will change here. I actually liked the military rank attached to their names.
    I think they gonna change it, Mary kinda hesitant to say Sergeant "Marvel"

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    I think they gonna change it, Mary kinda hesitant to say Sergeant "Marvel"
    I figured that was more her being hesitant to reveal her hero persona but I'd have to rewatch the scene to be sure.

But I don't think the military ranks make much sense if Billy wasn't Captain Marvel (though maybe he's Captain Shazam).

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Mary taking a snack break by Ramona Fradon.

MaryMarvelFradon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    I figured that was more her being hesitant to reveal her hero persona but I'd have to rewatch the scene to be sure.

But I don't think the military ranks make much sense if Billy wasn't Captain Marvel (though maybe he's Captain Shazam).
    I get where they were coming from, but I never liked giving Mary and Fredd military codenames instead of their traditional names.

She'll always be Mary Marvel.

I get where they were coming from, but I never liked giving Mary and Fredd military codenames instead of their traditional names.

To the utmost, I agree!

Of course Zatanna tells her off for thinking too much like a superhero. Ironically, she wasn't a famous one, due to being part of the clandestine Team.
    Mary was in fact transformed the whole time, apparently she just changed out of her costume into civilian clothing, and is old enough that her powered form now looks the same as her civilian one. If she wasn't transformed she couldn't have used the powers of the gods. Also, her name appears to have been retconned, it's not Sergeant Marvel, it's Sergeant Shazam, hence why she can't say the second part of the name, it would've depowered her. Billy was called Captain Marvel in season 1, but was called Shazam in season 3, and the change wasn't discussed at all, it was like he was always called that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Of course Zatanna tells her off for thinking too much like a superhero. Ironically, she wasn't a famous one, due to being part of the clandestine Team.
    Yeah, the Marvels seem ill-fits for the cover team as much as Wonder Girl was.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Mary was in fact transformed the whole time, apparently she just changed out of her costume into civilian clothing, and is old enough that her powered form now looks the same as her civilian one. If she wasn't transformed she couldn't have used the powers of the gods. Also, her name appears to have been retconned, it's not Sergeant Marvel, it's Sergeant Shazam, hence why she can't say the second part of the name, it would've depowered her. Billy was called Captain Marvel in season 1, but was called Shazam in season 3, and the change wasn't discussed at all, it was like he was always called that.
    Mary was practicing magic and since she has the Shazam powers within her, there's nothing to say that she didnt find another way to invoke the Gods powers. She wouldn't have had to call out their names and do all of that if she were transformed. She was just Mary.

I do the same thing with Cap. I'll call him Captain Marvel, someone on a board will say, "Who? His name isn't Captain Marvel anymore". Then I'm, "Up yours with the legal restrictions. He is and always will be Captain Marvel for me and Mary will be Mary Marvel, not Mary Shazam or whatever the movie called her- though I love the movie."
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I do the same thing with Cap. I'll call him Captain Marvel, someone on a board will say, "Who? His name isn't Captain Marvel anymore". Then I'm, "Up yours with the legal restrictions. He is and always will be Captain Marvel for me and Mary will be Mary Marvel, not Mary Shazam or whatever the movie called her- though I love the movie."
    It's not like she has better names .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Mary was practicing magic and since she has the Shazam powers within her, there's nothing to say that she didnt find another way to invoke the Gods powers. She wouldn't have had to call out their names and do all of that if she were transformed. She was just Mary.
    Agreed. It's basically Mary calling out the ingredients of a recipe, rather than being the completed product of said recipe. It does make me wonder if she wants to still have access to the power of SHAZAM! in both of her forms, due to something that had caused a short of some kind when empowered by the magic word, rendering "normal" Mary helpless. Thinking about it now, covering one's self to lessen the impact of an obvious vulnerability would be a smart thing to do.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Steve Rude with inspiration by Judy Garland.

marymarvelRude.jpg