Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    In DCeased they called her Mary Marvel. I don’t think they all need the Shazam name.
    But would Marvel Comics cause problems for DC if they went back to calling her "Mary Marvel"?

I thought DC eventually stopped calling Billy "Captain Marvel" even within just the stories because of the hassles from Marvel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But would Marvel Comics cause problems for DC if they went back to calling her "Mary Marvel"?

I thought DC eventually stopped calling Billy "Captain Marvel" even within just the stories because of the hassles from Marvel.
    They only did that in order to have the hero name as the title of the comic book, vis-a-vis the movies. They can still call Billy "Captain Marvel" within the books...

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thinking about picking up Shazam! by Bridwell. Is it recommended? Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    They only did that in order to have the hero name as the title of the comic book, vis-a-vis the movies. They can still call Billy "Captain Marvel" within the books...
    Yeah, Marvel would take issue if Mary suddenly started using Ms. Marvel, which of course is Kamala Khan's codename. But Mary Marvel would be fine - it would just be inconsistent with Billy's codename. Ms. Shazam would be fine too... only, she's not the only girl. There's still the issue of what to call the others anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Thinking about picking up Shazam! by Bridwell. Is it recommended? Never heard of it.
    I love those stories, they are my All-Time CAPTAIN MARVEL stories. Beautiful art work by Don Newton. Gil Kane also draws a story.

Shazam3.jpg

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I love those stories, they are my All-Time CAPTAIN MARVEL stories. Beautiful art work by Don Newton. Gil Kane also draws a story.
    Thanks, Signalman. Exactly the answer I was hoping for. Don Newton sold me even more on this.

Extraordinary Member

From Incredible Hulk #140, 1 year before DC acquired the license from Fawcett:

There's a second Shazam reference on the same page:

His catchphrase is Holy Moley, and the two sorcerers there are called Holi and Moli!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    From Incredible Hulk #140, 1 year before DC acquired the license from Fawcett:

Funny in-jokes .

L'Shea Malloy

Extraordinary Member

Go! Fight! Win! DC announces that middle-grade readers can prepare for an all-new graphic novel from DC’s Books for Young Readers line with Shazam! Thundercrack, available on June 7, 2022. From acclaimed writer and illustrator Yehudi Mercado (Chunky, Hero Hotel), this original story is set within the Shazam! movie timeline, featuring Billy Batson as the newest player on the Fawcett Tigers’ football team. Super-heroics are dangerous but joining the football team is an even bigger problem!

"Thundercrack" sounds like some new street drug . . .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Is that Freddy as Tawny, the school mascot? Interesting way to include both of them simultaneously.

This is set in the actual movie continuity? Interesting.

I hope we get a real Tawny eventually though...