Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    "Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

This issue was good.

Glad to finally see Adam-X, the X-Treme get his due.

Definitely view "snuff streamer on Mojoworld" as a huge setback.

Greatly satisfying to finally see this play out. I never understood why they stopped this storyline only to really ruin the brotherly connection in what I deem the worst recton of all time with Vulcan and the second class.

He's popping up again in X-Factor in a month or two, so maybe we'll see alil redemption for Adam-X then.

I agree the Mojo Video Snuff thing is a tremendous step back.

It's rough - because on one side, I am thankful to see him remembered.

But typically loathe how he's written post Fabian.

I am hoping this gives him the fleshed out story for others to see him in a new light. And do something good.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I agree the Mojo Video Snuff thing is a tremendous step back.

It's rough - because on one side, I am thankful to see him remembered.

But typically loathe how he's written post Fabian.

I am hoping this gives him the fleshed out story for others to see him in a new light. And do something good.
    Err, who else has treated Adam X right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, who else has treated Adam X right?
    It was for one panel - so minimal dialogue - but they had him in his right costume - showed how lethal he was... although it made things worse. None of the other X-Men could do anything.
    http://tawmis.com/xtreme/appearances...-men-542-cameo

The Dark Avengers stuff - they wrote him as "a 90s Skateboard Kowabunga" type dialogue - and had him with the wrong weapons - and the dialogue was always over the top - but it was better than what I see in the current X-Factor.

I'd take that over the current, "I am a top vid mutant killing star in the Mojoverse with tat sleeves."

Also the X-Men 92 appearance, were at least fun.

Ultimate Member

It was for one panel - so minimal dialogue - but they had him in his right costume - showed how lethal he was... although it made things worse. None of the other X-Men could do anything.
    http://tawmis.com/xtreme/appearances...-men-542-cameo

The Dark Avengers stuff - they wrote him as "a 90s Skateboard Kowabunga" type dialogue - and had him with the wrong weapons - and the dialogue was always over the top - but it was better than what I see in the current X-Factor.

I'd take that over the current, "I am a top vid mutant killing star in the Mojoverse with tat sleeves."

Also the X-Men 92 appearance, were at least fun.
    lol, I missed the post Fabian thing, my bad

Fantastic Member

The second issue was good, but I still don't understand one thing - in his first appearance in X-Force Annual #2 he several times stated that "Adam" isn't his real name, that it was given to him by Martin Strong. But here it is revealed that it always was his name. Or maybe I just don't understand something. I have always assumed that Adam lost his memories when he arrived on Earth. But after rereading X-Force Annual #2 I now realized that he hadn't forgotten anything. By trying to find about his past he meant to learn about his origin and connection to Earth, to find if he has some relatives of the planet, but since he didn't know anyone he joined Martin Strong who promised to help find information.

It is also kind of weird that Shi'ar mind wiped him and others, so that no one would known about Adam's existence, and yet they allowed him to retain memory and call himself Neramani - what would instantly give him out the moment he met anyone from X-Men, because they all know it is a surname of Xavier's ex-wife Lilandra.

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    The second issue was good, but I still don't understand one thing - in his first appearance in X-Force Annual #2 he several times stated that "Adam" isn't his real name, that it was given to him by Martin Strong. But here it is revealed that it always was his name. Or maybe I just don't understand something. I have always assumed that Adam lost his memories when he arrived on Earth. But after rereading X-Force Annual #2 I now realized that he hadn't forgotten anything. By trying to find about his past he meant to learn about his origin and connection to Earth, to find if he has some relatives of the planet, but since he didn't know anyone he joined Martin Strong who promised to help find information.

It is also kind of weird that Shi'ar mind wiped him and others, so that no one would known about Adam's existence, and yet they allowed him to retain memory and call himself Neramani - what would instantly give him out the moment he met anyone from X-Men, because they all know it is a surname of Xavier's ex-wife Lilandra.
    You know I said that too when I started this thread (that I anticipated Adam was going to have a Shi'arian name because he specifically stated in that X-Force Annual that Martin Strong gave him that name). So much time has passed that I think that story element evolved and I'm fine to let that go (especially because I think the way Fabian treated it was cleaver with the other gestation 'pods' in the lab with Adam). Same with the degree of amnesia he had. I don't think it necessarily contradicts, but he definitely remembered more than it initially first seemed (perhaps he did suffer from some amnesia when he crashed on earth and memories gradually started coming back to him especially after his encounter with Erik the Red in Captain Marvel #3?). One small thing that still sort of bugged me though: where did Adam's facial markings go (the ones around his eyes that marked him as Shi'ar aristocracy)? The royal family has particularly distinct markings so that was supposed to be a clue to Adam's origins. He has them in his earlier appearances then they just seem to disappear.

I think the 'leaks' in Oracle's mind-wipe are intentional. For example, even Oracle says that they will retain contact though not context, so he may just not really know what "Neramani" means to him, but it will later help re-reveal who he is. Even then, Oracle's mind wipe can't be complete because there are people that know about Adam and who he is, and who weren't physically present for her to effect (specifically Mr. Sinister, and I have to believe that the Sinister Secrets #7 in POX #4 refers to Adam).

I did like how familial Scott and Alex were with Adam and how they embraced him. I know it seems oddly rushed (likely directly due to this being truncated from a four-issue mini-series to a jam packed 2-issue arc), but their interaction was nice to see. I don't think it's completely out of character, especially seeing as how they've come to embrace Gabriel in the current X-Men run after everything he's done. I do think it's that fraternal connection will later play once those 'fragments of recollection" regarding Adam come together.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    spoilers:
    Have to wonder if someone (Oracle maybe) mind wiped them all from remembering this.
    end of spoilers
    Nailed it!! lol
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    You know I said that too when I started this thread (that I anticipated Adam was going to have a Shi'arian name because he specifically stated in that X-Force Annual that Martin Strong gave him that name). So much time has passed that I think that story element evolved and I'm fine to let that go (especially because I think the way Fabian treated it was cleaver with the other gestation 'pods' in the lab with Adam).
    I do like the explanation about why he was named Adam - because he is THE first of the new species (Shi'ar/Mutant) - it is kind of poetic. But still weird that someone in Shi'ar Empire would know enough about Earth's culture to chose such name and care enough to use it. If anything, Shi'ar have they own religion, gods and mythology, there probably should be a similar story about how world was created and who was THE first Shi'ar person, so it would make sense to use this name, than one from the Earth. Especially since D'Ken was so fanatic about M'Kraan Crystal; culture and traditions of his own people should matter much more to him and his followers.

And speaking about his followers and other pods - they behavior doesn't make sense. First they destroyed all the other pods and lab, then, when they discovered Adam, they tried to control him and put him on the throne as a legitimate heir of D'Ken. So, why hadn't they simply kept other pods and raised other children as heirs?

Same with the degree of amnesia he had. I don't think it necessarily contradicts, but he definitely remembered more than it initially first seemed (perhaps he did suffer from some amnesia when he crashed on earth and memories gradually started coming back to him especially after his encounter with Erik the Red in Captain Marvel #3?). One small thing that still sort of bugged me though: where did Adam's facial markings go (the ones around his eyes that marked him as Shi'ar aristocracy)? The royal family has particularly distinct markings so that was supposed to be a clue to Adam's origins. He has them in his earlier appearances then they just seem to disappear.
    I now think that he hadn't had an amnesia and it was just my wrong interpretation from years ago when I wasn't good with English language. In X-Force Annual #2 he mentions how he is from another planet, and how X-Force wouldn't survive there. So he clearly remember his past. The confusing part was him talking about how he want's to learn about his past and who he really is. But with information from X-Men Legends it is now clear that he was told about Earth and his connection to it by Jonath and that is why Adam came there to search for answers. Though, Jonath apparently knew that Adam is son of D'Ken - so another unanswered question is why he hadn't simply told him about it?

As for markings, I guess it is just artist's mistake. Or Adam decided to hide them, because he clearly had no desire to be found by Shi'ar again.

I think the 'leaks' in Oracle's mind-wipe are intentional. For example, even Oracle says that they will retain contact though not context, so he may just not really know what "Neramani" means to him, but it will later help re-reveal who he is. Even then, Oracle's mind wipe can't be complete because there are people that know about Adam and who he is, and who weren't physically present for her to effect (specifically Mr. Sinister, and I have to believe that the Sinister Secrets #7 in POX #4 refers to Adam).
    But the full point of erasing their memories was to hide Adam's heritage so no one would know about him and Lilandra wouldn't need to kill him. Letting him use their royal name seems contradictory to this goal. And the last scene of the issue also doesn't make sense. Eric the Red and his people were defeated on the Moon, then Imperial Guard appeared to deal with Adam. It would make sense for them to at the same time arrest Eric for trying to rebel against Lilandra's rule. And yet, in the last scene we apparently see him spying after Sinister, who spied after Adam, who just at that moment casually mentioned that his surname is "Neramani". So, even if Eric was for some reason pardoned for his rebellion, and his memories were erased by Oracle as well - he would have learned that Adam is D'Ken's son once again. Which is again seems to be against Lilandra's goal. As for Sinister - he is likely only care about "Summers" part of Adam and couldn't care less about "Neramani" part. So he wouldn't have any reason to reveal his true heritage even if he knew it.

I'm glad that Adam's story was finally told, but I'm just a little frustrated that it have plot holes. IIRC Nicieza said before how he always wanted to tell this story, so, when he finally had a chance, I've anticipated it to be extremely solid and tightly knit with previous threads he seeded years ago.

So how I read the whole thing with Adam's name - that Adam was named after something (written in Shi'ar as seen on the vat) that was the equivalent of "being the first."
    So when he came to Earth - and met Martin Strong - probably said something along those lines - so it was Martin who "translated" the "being the first" to Adam which was also on the Shi'ar vat. I just assume D'Ken, the Shi'ar having all this technology - knew the significance of the name Adam and since it was human DNA - used a human name. (Stands to reason if he used other aliens - he would have named it after that alien type name - so if he mixed Mephisoid and Shi'ar the name might have been Kreznibah - which according to legend was a great warrior in the Mephistoids lore or whatever).

And when Adam appeared on Earth - he didn't know his last name. He doesn't learn that until the pages of Captain Marvel (#2 and #3) where Eric the Red reveals all of this to Adam.

I also wrote a long piece about all of it (contains X-Men Legends #2 spoilers for those who may not have read it) -

http://tawmis.com/xtreme/archives/430
    Last edited by Adam-X; 04-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

While it was a cute story, I have no idea where they were going with the suggestion that Adam X could kill an entire planet with his blood-on-fire trick, since he seems to still be limited to people who are currently bleeding. What, he concentrates and everyone on the planet who has a cut at the moment dies? That's gonna be hell for women who are menstruating, but that's a pretty earth-specific problem that might not affect, for instance, Shiar, who lay eggs and don't have a typical mammalian biology...

That part was just weird, like some attempt to make him an Omega retroactively, as well as the notion that a mind-wipe and then dumping him on Earth would be a great idea, since the X-peeps kind of detect and seek out mutants via Cerebro on the regular, meaning that he'd 'ping' as a 'new' mutant almost immediately and the X-Men would be off to 'meet him for the first time' which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I am the weirdo who likes the Brett Booth art, 'though.

That Summers family chart made me wonder how many brothers Scott (and Alex and Gabriel and Adam) are gonna have if Corsair and Hepzibah ever get around to having a litter of half-Summers half-Mephitisoids...

"Yeah Scottie, meet your new siblings, Spot, Streaky, Blackie, Patches and Miss Kitty Fantastico!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While it was a cute story, I have no idea where they were going with the suggestion that Adam X could kill an entire planet with his blood-on-fire trick, since he seems to still be limited to people who are currently bleeding. What, he concentrates and everyone on the planet who has a cut at the moment dies? That's gonna be hell for women who are menstruating, but that's a pretty earth-specific problem that might not affect, for instance, Shiar, who lay eggs and don't have a typical mammalian biology...

That part was just weird, like some attempt to make him an Omega retroactively, as well as the notion that a mind-wipe and then dumping him on Earth would be a great idea, since the X-peeps kind of detect and seek out mutants via Cerebro on the regular, meaning that he'd 'ping' as a 'new' mutant almost immediately and the X-Men would be off to 'meet him for the first time' which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I am the weirdo who likes the Brett Booth art, 'though.

That Summers family chart made me wonder how many brothers Scott (and Alex and Gabriel and Adam) are gonna have if Corsair and Hepzibah ever get around to having a litter of half-Summers half-Mephitisoids...

"Yeah Scottie, meet your new siblings, Spot, Streaky, Blackie, Patches and Miss Kitty Fantastico!"
    Again there are 3 more siblings out there Eve Cain and Abel

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Again there are 3 more siblings out there Eve Cain and Abel
    Eve, Cain and Abel - To be fair, Cain and Abel were only hinted at in Age of Apocalypse (the latest one, not the original). Eve was seen in X-Men Legends - however, it looks like the place is going up in flames - so whether the Eve "embryo" survived or not is not known.

Eve, Cain and Abel - To be fair, Cain and Abel were only hinted at in Age of Apocalypse (the latest one, not the original). Eve was seen in X-Men Legends - however, it looks like the place is going up in flames - so whether the Eve "embryo" survived or not is not known.
    Absolutely true