Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Age Crimson Avenger (Lee Travis) Appreciation 2021

First appearance: Detective Comics #20 (October 1938):

He totally needs a comeback.

All of the Seven Soldiers (Shining Knight, Star Spangled Kid & Stripesy, Vigilante, Green Arrow & Speedy obviously) have received some kind of modern age treatment, but not The Crimson Avenger and Wing.

I mean, I may be in the minority, but Jill Carlyle does nothing for me. She was a rare stumble by Geoff Johns during his time on the JSA book.

Happy New Year to the Crimson Avenger .

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    He totally needs a comeback.

All of the Seven Soldiers (Shining Knight, Star Spangled Kid & Stripesy, Vigilante, Green Arrow & Speedy obviously) have received some kind of modern age treatment, but not The Crimson Avenger and Wing.

I mean, I may be in the minority, but Jill Carlyle does nothing for me. She was a rare stumble by Geoff Johns during his time on the JSA book.
    As cool as Morrison's updating of the Seven Soldiers is, the original team is a very realistic team with minimal powers. Looking at them with a modern view, they are a bunch of over privileged limousine liberals. Plus two of them had Asian sidekicks. A modern version of them would be very welcome.

And for those of you curious about how Lee Travis could be used, please check out https://community.cbr.com/showthread...mber-Solicits! and the Question book within.

they are a bunch of over privileged limousine liberals. Plus two of them had Asian sidekicks.
    Yikes!
    Not touching that w. a ten foot pole. I just think they’re a cool team.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As cool as Morrison's updating of the Seven Soldiers is, the original team is a very realistic team with minimal powers. Looking at them with a modern view, they are a bunch of over privileged limousine liberals. Plus two of them had Asian sidekicks. A modern version of them would be very welcome...
    Well, Vigilante only sometimes had an Asian sidekick, since Stuff wasn't his first partner. He also worked with Billy Gunn prior to Stuff.

And while Crimson Avenger's partner Wing could be depicted in an overly-stereotypical way at times during the Golden Age, Roy Thomas' retroactive revamping of Wing erased many of those blatantly offensive traits.

Astonishing Member

The Crimson returns!

Thanks, MajorHoy.

Favorite costume?

Yikes!
    Not touching that w. a ten foot pole. I just think they’re a cool team.
    They ARE a cool team. I don't dispute that, but with Green Arrow (and yes, his Earth Two version was NOT politically vocal) and the progressive paper published by Travis, we seen some well off left leaning characters. I admit my phraseology was less than complimentary, but I love this nature of the team and the lack of powers puts them in a position where they can get more personal with people.

I apologize if I came off judgy, I just don’t think of characters that way (money they make/gender they are/prefer to sleep w./color they are/aren’t) and I try and avoid those discussions. So if this thread goes in that direction it’s one less for me to kill time in!

So basically I was just being selfish.

From Detective Comics #21 (November 1938):

I apologize if I came off judgy, I just don’t think of characters that way (money they make/gender they are/prefer to sleep w./color they are/aren’t) and I try and avoid those discussions. So if this thread goes in that direction it’s one less for me to kill time in!

So basically I was just being selfish.
    No worries. Your reaction was natural given my words. As far as Golden Age characters are concerned, we saw little but one, MAYBE two dimensional depictions. I do not want to take this thread in a direction which gets political, especially with the crimson being a trailblazing character for DC.

From Detective Comics #22 (December 1938):

from Golden Age Secret Files & Origins #1 (February 2001)

From

To be continued . . .