Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

I can see lemonpeace's pov on that.

My $0.02 is that the pairing works on an ensemble setting where the characters are appearing in the same series. But if you are building up either hero as a solo character then it would be hard to make the relationship work since John would be out in space and Vixen would be earth bound. Unless, you want to keep John as a permanent earth bound Lantern, which doesn't feel like the best direction for the character atm. Vixen in space could be fun but not as a permanent status quo.

Personally I shipped Bronze Tiger and Vixen together.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    All very fair points and I agree we need to build both of them up more as they're rich characters and can have interesting stories to tell.

Even in that show it was clear that relationship was basically just a fling, even if they weren't being honest with themselves.
    Actually, if you read the JLU comic, which I dont consider canon. John was gonna marry Mari but she was killed by the Shadow Thief during the proposal.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 05-10-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Actually, if you read the JLU comic, which I dont consider canon. John was gonna marry Mari but she was killed by the Shadow Thief during the proposal.
    So much was wrong with that storyline it's not even funny. Like Vixen couldn't have resurrected herself. But that's the same type of writing that saw Vixen in a coma in "Justice League International" instead of just showing her using her healing abilities.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I've never understood the "John and Mari wouldn't work because he's in space a lot and she's Earth bound" thing because there's nothing stopping soldiers in real life who are serving overseas and away from their families months or years at a time from having girlfriends, wives, children, etc. back in the United States. Or people who travel a lot for their jobs and go home only so often to see their loved ones.

Plus Vixen is not the type of woman to just be waiting for John to come back with nothing to do. She has PLENTY of stuff to occupy her time with...crime fighting, running her businesses, globe-trotting while on modeling assignments, hopping after people like a kangaroo while trying to kick them, etc.

Plus with all the technology that exists in the DC Universe, and all of the abilities of the Green Lantern rings, I'm sure John could open up a wormhole or something and quickly travel back to Earth if he wanted to. John could ask Cyborg how to open up a Boom Tube inside Mari's apartment. Or maybe Mari could borrow one of Mr. Terrific's giant T-Sphere space ships and go visit John a few times on some distant planet. LOL

Since these are comic books, a writer could EASILY make a relationship work between Mari and John (if that's what the writer really wanted to do).

But I wouldn't trust DC to keep the relationship intact. Because we've all seen what Marvel keeps doing with Storm and Black Panther, and I have a feeling DC would treat Mari and John the exact same way, which would upset both Vixen fans and John Stewart fans.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-10-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While I like John and Mari, I always felt that these two have the potential to be iconic together.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That's worse.

Yo, lemonpeace, you got any room on that hill? Fridging Mari soured me completely on something I was already neutral on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Same. I enjoyed their interactions in Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad run and their brief interaction in Dwayne McDuffie's run.

I think this pairing would be the way to go if Vixen were to have a long term love interest.

:lugs ears::

La la la la la la a that comic never happened!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I've never understood the "John and Mari wouldn't work because he's in space a lot and she's Earth bound" thing because there's nothing stopping soldiers in real life who are serving overseas and away from their families months or years at a time from having girlfriends, wives, children, etc. back in the United States. Or people who travel a lot for their jobs and go home only so often to see their loved ones.

Plus Vixen is not the type of woman to just be waiting for John to come back with nothing to do. She has PLENTY of stuff to occupy her time with...crime fighting, running her businesses, globe-trotting while on modeling assignments, hopping after people like a kangaroo while trying to kick them, etc.

Plus with all the technology that exists in the DC Universe, and all of the abilities of the Green Lantern rings, I'm sure John could open up a wormhole or something and quickly travel back to Earth if he wanted to. John could ask Cyborg how to open up a Boom Tube inside Mari's apartment. Or maybe Mari could borrow one of Mr. Terrific's giant T-Sphere space ships and go visit John a few times on some distant planet. LOL

Since these are comic books, a writer could EASILY make a relationship work between Mari and John (if that's what the writer really wanted to do).

But I wouldn't trust DC to keep the relationship intact. Because we've all seen what Marvel keeps doing with Storm and Black Panther, and I have a feeling DC would treat Mari and John the exact same way, which would upset both Vixen fans and John Stewart fans.
    I mean, how would you go about it? Do you do a John Stewart GL book where Vixen is the co-lead? Or do you do a GL/Vixen book where they are co-leads and the focus is split between them? Do you have John doing space missions and then zipping back to earth to help Vixen out on a case or do you keep John earth bound, dealing with earth level threats? Or do you give John and Vixen two separate books and have they show up in each other's title?

The more I think about it, the more it feels like their respective mythologies would end up eating into each other.

OTOH, Bronze Tiger is a lot more grounded character, its easier to work him into a Vixen story and you don't have to worry about one over shadowing the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

All this., well said.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Same. I enjoyed their interactions in Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad run and their brief interaction in Dwayne McDuffie's run.

I think this pairing would be the way to go if Vixen were to have a long term love interest.

:lugs ears::

La la la la la la a that comic never happened!

I mean, how would you go about it? Do you do a John Stewart GL book where Vixen is the co-lead? Or do you do a GL/Vixen book where they are co-leads and the focus is split between them? Do you have John doing space missions and then zipping back to earth to help Vixen out on a case or do you keep John earth bound, dealing with earth level threats? Or do you give John and Vixen two separate books and have they show up in each other's title?

The more I think about it, the more it feels like their respective mythologies would end up eating into each other.

OTOH, Bronze Tiger is a lot more grounded character, its easier to work him into a Vixen story and you don't have to worry about one over shadowing the other.
    Mari and John could pop up in each other's books every now and then. Or you could do several mini-series where they are teaming up, romancing each other, etc. etc. Or you can just put them on a Justice League team together, which would probably be the easiest thing to do. They could hang out as teammates, then develop feelings for each other, etc. etc. They'd go on Earth and space missions together, Vixen would get more experience operating in space, John could even go with her once in a while to visit the universe she helped to create with Tristess and Animal Man, etc, etc.

I'm just not a fan of limiting a potential romance between the two because one is in space a lot and one is always on Earth. In a universe about people running around with powers, a good writer could make it work, just like people in real life who are away from each other from a certain amount of time can make it work. People who really care about each other have traveled and will travel great distances to be with that other person. It's possible. I'm just tired of seeing black characters being limited in their interactions with one another because it's not considered plausible that they would be around one another for one reason or another.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-11-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I like the Idris type guy she met
    Impala

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That's worse.

Yo, lemonpeace, you got any room on that hill? Fridging Mari soured me completely on something I was already neutral on.
    hell yeah! there's hella room up here, cop a squat bro
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I always thought this was cute.
    RCO008.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    what made me actively hate it was when I noticed a pattern of fans who are anti Storm and T'Challa being pro Vixen and John, and that annoyed me because the "token black couple" trope they try to levy against Storm and T'Challa is 100% more applicable to John and Vixen; they are only paired up because they are the black names people know at DC. what makes it more egregious to me is that unlike Storm and T'Challa, Vixen and John don't even operate in common spaces (physically, culturally, narratively, or even thematically), their personalities don't really line up in an interesting dynamic, and both characters aren't even as fleshed out individually because of how poorly DC utilizes it's black (pretty much all their BIPOC) characters.
    Storm belongs to a franchise that hates Black Panther. Storm comes with baggage Vixen will never have.

While Panther and Storm belong to Marvel-they are divided by different editorial staffs in comics. Hudlin was thinking big picture when he did it. The X-office was NOT.

Put both under the same editorial department and it's a different story that works out for the reasons you listed.

John and Vixen only works if they are both on the same team ALA GOTG or Justice League that always has them together.

Ultimate Member

John and Mari feel like they operate in completely different spheres. She's very much tied to the Earth, both because of her powers and because of her career and life, while he's kind of on a different plane, operating as much or more in deep space or on other worlds (and having concerns and responsibilities that include other worlds across this sector of space). Any sort of relationship between them would narratively exist, IMO, mainly to highlight how they are *not* entirely compatible and certainly not for a long-term relationship (even if they happen to like each other and wish they were).

I'm okay with that sort of thing, not every relationship needs a happily ever-after, but gosh, that story has been told so much that I don't even care anymore. Something more modern, like them being a bit of a booty call for each other, not 'together' in any real sense, but she tells him to look her up when he's on-planet and they can share a meal or whatever, could be new.