Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    The Silencer, Damage and Sideways didn't get mini-series to test the waters first. They were given ongoing books from jump. I don't think Vixen has to go the mini-series route.
    All of those didn’t last long though. The advantage of a mini over an ongoing is that the writer goes in knowing how many issues they have, so they can create an appropriate story. The risk of an ongoing is that at any moment, editorial can pull the plug and all the plot lines you’ve been seeding have to be cut short.

Also minis are not necessarily “lesser” than ongoings anymore. Look at Tom King, all he writes nowadays are minis, and love them or hate them, they’re some of DC’s highest selling books every month they come out. Vision, Mister Miracle, Superman: Up in the Sky, I’d happily take a mini of that caliber for Mari because it’s a nice concise story you can hand to anyone wanting to get into her as a character.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Some of us wait, some of us act.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    All of those didn’t last long though. The advantage of a mini over an ongoing is that the writer goes in knowing how many issues they have, so they can create an appropriate story. The risk of an ongoing is that at any moment, editorial can pull the plug and all the plot lines you’ve been seeding have to be cut short.
    Silencer lasted for 3 trades (18 issues).

Damage went 2 trades (16 issues)

Sideways went 2 trades (13 issues)

Call me when most of the X-Men not named Logan or Cable can go that long.

Also the way you cheat that axing is NOT do long story arcs. No excuse a story can be 2-3 issues and have some 1 issue stories.

IMO, a character like Vixen should be on a team book if she is not appearing in a monthly. Even if she does get a monthly (who knows when) she should be on a team book as well. Not just Vixen but basically any character who is not Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman and has low chances of a long running ongoing.

I'm kind of annoyed Vixen hasn't appeared in JLD yet. I'm getting sick of Constantine and Etrigan, the team could use someone who could open up a whole different world of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    IMO, a character like Vixen should be on a team book if she is not appearing in a monthly. Even if she does get a monthly (who knows when) she should be on a team book as well. Not just Vixen but basically any character who is not Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman and has low chances of a long running ongoing.

I'm kind of annoyed Vixen hasn't appeared in JLD yet. I'm getting sick of Constantine and Etrigan, the team could use someone who could open up a whole different world of stories.
    Agree 100%

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Boosting Vixen would have gotten my vote alone, but taking a shot at that absolute cretin Constantine has formed a hill of support on which I'll gladly die.

I kind of like the idea of a Vixen/Etrigan team-up, though, so he gets to stay.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

There is a lot of potential in Vixen interacting with Swamp Thing, Etrigan and even Black Orchid.

Do we know anything about Vixen's life after her father's death and before she became a model? How old was she then?

I just read the Cancelled Cavalcade comic for Vixen. I admit some sadness it didn't happen. There were some problems, but I mostly liked it. Partially, I'm sure, because I am very fond of businesswoman Mari. And because I tend to like a good bit on bronze age material. But I really liked the idea that business was what she wanted to do and modeling gave her a path to her own business.

But also because I so miss civilian supporting cadets and she had four characters at up to be regular or recurring.

I also enjoyed both the language and the concept when she was thinking about having the confidence/surety of the new abilities she possessed.

Edit: Mari and Solomon meeting at Studio 54 was a surprise, though I suppose there is no reason it should be.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-29-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just read the Cancelled Cavalcade comic for Vixen. I admit some sadness it didn't happen. There were some problems, but I mostly liked it. Partially, I'm sure, because I am very fond of businesswoman Mari. And because I tend to like a good bit on bronze age material. But I really liked the idea that business was what she wanted to do and modeling gave her a path to her own business.

But also because I so miss civilian supporting cadets and she had four characters at up to be regular or recurring.

I also enjoyed both the language and the concept when she was thinking about having the confidence/surety of the new abilities she possessed.

Edit: Mari and Solomon meeting at Studio 54 was a surprise, though I suppose there is no reason it should be.
    Gonna have to go back and reread that issue.

Made a Wolverine fan mad. He said, how can Vixen stop Wolverine from slicing her up, I replied "Her healing factor is on his level and she can create energy constructions.
    RCO015_1611505553 (1).jpg

Now he is mad. LOL
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-30-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Wolverine is no match for Vixen.

Also, I've been wondering what's the real life equivalent of Zambesi? I know it's named after the river of Zambezi which I guess would put it in East Africa. Maybe Tanzania since the Serengeti National Park is located there? What do you guys think?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

The cancelled comic was very interesting. I'm so mad it never happened. Vixen would've probably taken off more had it happened.

Also, I've been wondering what's the real life equivalent of Zambesi? I know it's named after the river of Zambezi which I guess would put it in East Africa. Maybe Tanzania since the Serengeti National Park is located there? What do you guys think?
    Been thinking about it. From the wiki, it's just a mess -
    It is usually described as Central African, but also in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania as well as on the slave coast of West Africa. The Zambesi River is an actual river in East Africa (flowing through Zambia and Zimbabwe). Mustapha Maksai's last name is Swahili (East African). The Tantu Totem draws from Ashanti folklore and Yoruba animism
    Though I don't know if some of these are preboot and some after. I mean, it's not like Smallville and Metropolis and Star City haven't moved around a good bit over the decades.

While it would be good to know a general region of where the country is located, and at least who one neighbor is, I'm much more interested in world-building - in what the country is like (especially if she's going to be there, but even if she's not, she might visit). How urbanized it is, what the major industries are, what religions are most followed and languages most spoken, what the system of government is, does it have a coast, what the median income is, what the GDP is (okay, for these last two, I don't really mean real numbers, but rather a sense of how economically prosperous it is and where it falls relative to other countries), etc. Is it improving for it's inhabitants or getting worse or staying the same? If there are any terrorist groups, I'd keep the fictional (if they're expected stay around), since you never know how the real world will change. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter as much if she's not going to be there, but if she is, I'd like it to feel like a real place. Also I just like world building and minutiae. Might not make into stories, but the Atlases and stuff are cool to me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-30-2021 at 03:49 PM.

it's weird because i don't think DC has put too much thought into an exact location of Zambesi or what their culture and history looks like as a whole; mainly just vague africanisms as far as I can tell. the mythology takes primarily from West Africa (lots of Yoruba, Ashanti/Akan elements) and I believe i read somewhere that when she was first introduced she was from Ghana but I think they've reference Zambesi being in Central Africa, around Tanzania, and in the slave coast (West Africa) at different times, yet they've also used Swahili names (I believe Jiwe is Swahili).

my personal headcanon, I just go the cultural approach and say it's in West Africa simply because the mythology she pulls from largely originates from that region, which has been more consistent than whatever location in Africa they can remember on any given day.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-30-2021 at 05:15 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    my personal headcanon, I just go the cultural approach and say it's in West Africa simply because the mythology she pulls from largely originates from that region, which has been more consistent than whatever location in Africa they can remember on any given day.
    I think that does make the most sense. Consistency with the Tantu Totem is most important, I think.