Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I enjoyed it for what it was, I maintain its the best purely Vixen-centric story to date, but after hearing Throne's opinions on Vixen's powers I'm more than fine with DC not continuing if it meant he was gonna be at the helm. I really don't like when writers fundamentally misunderstand this is a shared universe and don't know how or don't want to work within that framework, and that was the vibe I was getting from some of his remarks. no shade to 'em, i have been enjoying his Green Lantern, just different stroke is all.
    Wait, what did I miss? What did Throne say?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Wait, what did I miss? What did Throne say?
    nothing too crazy, he was just going on about how he feels Vixen's connection to the Red was bad because it "made her a Animal Man character" (paraphrasing). what erked me was when when I pushed back on that he said something along the lines that powers are just shiny wrapping paper; at which point i was done with the convo. i felt like he was pretty much trying to trivialize the significance of superpowers in superhero fiction, which undercuts his insistence that the Red needs to be retconned away from Vixen; because if it's just shiny wrapping paper then why change it? it didn't help that the best alternative he appeared to have in the table was just doubling down on the Anansi connection which, as someone who was raised in African culture and actively enjoys African mythology, I always found the choice of Anansi a terribly lazy fit for the patron god for Vixen.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

nothing too crazy, he was just going on about how he feels Vixen's connection to the Red was bad because it "made her a Animal Man character" (paraphrasing). what erked me was when
    Look at the Superman family, the Batman family, the Wonder Woman family and the 7,200 Green Lanterns and say "I beg your pardon!?!"

when I pushed back on that he said something along the lines that powers are just shiny wrapping paper; at which point i was done with the convo. i felt like he was pretty much trying to trivialize the significance of superpowers in superhero fiction,
    I would have stopped too

It didn't help that the best alternative he appeared to have in the table was just doubling down on the Anansi connection which, as someone who was raised in African culture and actively enjoys African mythology, I always found the choice of Anansi a terribly lazy fit for the patron god for Vixen.
    See, your asking way to much. Someone who actually realizes there are gods in Africa...hell the fact that there more than Anansi and Shango would blow their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Look at the Superman family, the Batman family, the Wonder Woman family and the 7,200 Green Lanterns and say "I beg your pardon!?!"

I would have stopped too

See, your asking way to much. Someone who actually realizes there are gods in Africa...hell the fact that there more than Anansi and Shango would blow their minds.
    deadass. i swear if you had to base it off just western writers you'd think there are no African gods outside of Anansi, the Egyptian pantheon, or the Orisha.

it is what it is tho. I'm just gonna keep hoping the next person that gets Vixen has a better direction in mind because i have zero desire to pick up any Vixen run with him at the wheel. I really just want at least one African writer (ideally West African and one thats knowledgable in their history) to take on Vixen, so there is at least less guess work going into how they approach her culture and the African setting. I am starved for a writer that can actually prioritize playing to the African setting and African aestethics, and engaging the DC universe through that lens.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm still waiting for DC to introduce an animal that can teleport so that Vixen can start teleporting.
    There is always the alien teleporting creature from the Super Friends #34

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Gen13, from Wilstorm, had a pet green rat-thing that could teleport.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Gen13, from Wilstorm, had a pet green rat-thing that could teleport.
    Hmm... very, very interesting...
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Speaking of the SUPER FRIENDS comic, maybe an updated version of the Menagerie Man would be good foe for Vixen.

MenagerieMan.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Speaking of the SUPER FRIENDS comic, maybe an updated version of the Menagerie Man would be good foe for Vixen.

MenagerieMan.jpg
    WTH, that such a random ass ability. LOL...Why?

Astonishing Member

I recently reread Truth and Justice and I really wish we got to see more follow up. Personally I can take or leave the Red. I don’t find the Anansi connection all that compelling but the Red has only ever been interesting when it related to Animal Man so I’m fine eschewing it and experimenting with other sources of power. The CW had some dope ideas too. As long as Vixen has badass powers that are consistent and allowed to shine in their own right I’m happy.

What really grabbed me about those issues though was the sense of worldbuilding and clarity of vision for Vixen as a character. Positioning her as the face of the Global Guardians, a world-traveling superstar with a feisty personality and great fashion sense is exactly the direction I want out of the character. Throw in some dope African mythology and some deep cut guys like Doctor Mist and I was 100% down with much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    There is also Menagerie from the Elite who could serve as a good foe for Vixen as well:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s:_M#Menagerie

The Elite's brutal, violent approach to superheroics might make them a good counter to Vixen. Especially if they try to pull that **** on her home country.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I recently reread Truth and Justice and I really wish we got to see more follow up. Personally I can take or leave the Red. I don’t find the Anansi connection all that compelling but the Red has only ever been interesting when it related to Animal Man so I’m fine eschewing it and experimenting with other sources of power. The CW had some dope ideas too. As long as Vixen has badass powers that are consistent and allowed to shine in their own right I’m happy.

What really grabbed me about those issues though was the sense of worldbuilding and clarity of vision for Vixen as a character. Positioning her as the face of the Global Guardians, a world-traveling superstar with a feisty personality and great fashion sense is exactly the direction I want out of the character. Throw in some dope African mythology and some deep cut guys like Doctor Mist and I was 100% down with much everything.
    I prefer she stays connected to the RED, as it explains where her powers comes from and gives her a damn near unlimited amount of abilities to choose from. Though again, if Vixen mimics the power of Krypto in December, I can go with anything you want then...lol

I also enjoy the world building and the GG members we meet and i like the idea of Vixen leading a team of heroes

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There is also Menagerie from the Elite who could serve as a good foe for Vixen as well:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s:_M#Menagerie

The Elite's brutal, violent approach to superheroics might make them a good counter to Vixen. Especially if they try to pull that **** on her home country.
    I would love to see them again.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 11-15-2021 at 08:55 PM.

It would be funny if Vixen tried to mimic that Green Lantern who is a squirrel. I wonder if he has any weird abilities without that ring that Vixen can use.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 11-15-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I want DC to have at least one black female led title (that wasn't shared), preferably Vixen, and I want writers who actually want to explore her powers and her as a character and superhero. I want her to be written like she's the Iman of the supermodel world, with the charisma of Eartha Kitt with the set goal of her having her be on Storm level status as a superhero, b/c no matter how you feel about her, Ororo for a lot of people, is the only black female superhero they can name.

I need it and we're never gonna get it at this rate.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Doing a chronological read through of Vixen's appearances. Up until this point, I've only read her appearances in Yale/Ostrander Suicide Squad, McDuffie's JL run, Vixen: Return of the Lion mini, Justice League of America Rebirth: Vixen, Truth & Justice, JLU and some of it's tie in comics and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'll be re-reading and re-watching that stuff too while I make my way through Vixen's catalogue.

I'm using these sites to help me navigate through her appearances:

https://dcuguide.com/w/Vixen_(Mari_McCabe)_Chronology
    https://www.comicbookwire.com/reading-order/dc/vixen/

Feel free to recommend anything I missed or any hidden gems I should keep a look out for.

I'll be posting my thoughts on this thread as I go on.

Action Comics #521 (1981)

-Written by Gerry Conway, the story begins with Vixen hijacking a truck full of furs and driving them into the water to ruin them. True to the cover, we are led to ask 'is she a hero or a villain'. During this attempt, Conway quickly establishes that Vixen is powerful enough to hurt Superman and escape from him.

-On the next page we are told that the guy selling the furs, Mordecai Mule, may not be a good guy. Selling fur maybe legal but how he got them could be illegal.

-We cut to the WGBS HQ where Clark's boss Morgan Edge (this was the era Clark was a news anchor and not a reporter) sends Clark, Lana and the team to India to cover a story on poaching. This is due to recommendations from Edge's friend Solomon Samuels. The latter is dating supermodel/business woman Marie McCabe who is shown to be the person pulling the strings behind the scenes. Like Iman she is a supermodel turned business woman. She reasons that nobody would connect the Solomon's supermodel girlfriend with Vixen while on the trip. This shows that Mari doesn't always direct approach, she is willing to pull strings from behind the scenes and use people's own assumptions about her to her own advantage.

-On the trip, we learn that the guy who was telegraphed to be a villain was a villain. Superman confronts Vixen and we learn that her powers come from the animal totem. Mordecai was strapped for cash, Vixen poured oil on fire by destroyed his shipment so he would come to India personally to push his hunters to do more poaching but would be exposed by the American reporters she sent over. This reminds me of a Leverage episode.

Vixen and Superman have a classic team up, Superman stops a herd of elephants while Vixen wraps up Mordecai and his crew and leaves Clark with a note.

-The comic alternates between calling her Lady Fox and Vixen. Though I'm not sure if it's because they hadn't decided on a name yet or if 'Lady Fox' was her original name and Vixen was just a title like 'Dark Knight' or 'Caped Crusader'. She's also wearing a fox mask in this story and her colour scheme is yellow and blue as opposed to the now classic orange and yellow. The mask, while based on a fox, kind of remind me of Anubis. I wonder if this was intentional? Vixen's hair also straight and reddish in this story, very different from how she is depicted today.

-Overall, it's a solid intro to the character, providing a one off story setting up some foundational elements while leaving some mystery for later. Vixen is a bit like a female Batman, she's rich, she's got connections, she pulls strings to get what she wants (but for a good cause), she's fine with fooling people into thinking she's just a pretty face and not a fighter and she disappears after getting the job done.

DC Comics Presents: Superman & Vixen: #68 (1983)

-Written by Gerry Conway with art by Curt Swan. This comic felt like it could have been an episode of Superman: TAS.

-The opening page shows Vixen standing atop the Daily Planet in front of a moonlit background before she leaps from the skyscraper and lands on Superman's back. Conway describes Vixen as thus: "Born in one world, torn from it by war, raised in a land where dreams become reality--daughter of many mothers, inheritor of the sacred Tantu Totem--VIXEN".

The description mirrors the recap of Superman's origin and it sounds like Conway has Vixen's backstory figured out.

-The plot revolves around Vixen searching for the nephew of one of her photographers. We get our first insight into Vixen's character when she explains that she is an orphan and because of that she cherishes her friends and their families as if they were her own. Vixen's past trauma explains why she isn't directly open up to people and her indirect approach to problem solving seen in the previous story and from this story onward. Coming back to the plot, Vixen took her photographer's nephew named Kip to an arcade where the kid won a high score on a game but then disappeared after a blinding flash of light. So she and Superman team up to find Kip and they got to Jimmy Olsen for help since he has been investigating similar disappearances.

-The villain of this piece is nothing to write home about: he is an insane former general who owns a video game company and is kidnapping kids who achieve the almost-impossible high score on his video game so he can feed off of their psychic energy to boost his own.

-Superman and Vixen follow two separate leads to the bad guys HQ. Vixen is ambushed and hooked up to the psychic machine which is certain to kill anyone.

-Superman arrives but is temporarily stunned by the General's psychic blast. For those keeping up with Vixen's feats: she resists the psychic energy from the machine by channeling the power of a bull elephant (surprising everyone at present) then she takes the same psychic blast that Superman did but manages to crawl over and shut down the machine before it killed the kids. Superman himself was only stunned for less than a minute as he got back up and did short work on the General while Vixen stopped the machine. Either way, it establishes that Vixen is on the same level as someone like Superman. You hear about it but it's nice to know that this was intended from the very beginning.

-Story ends with Vixen revealing that her power comes from the magic totem and that she can channel the power of animals through it. Then she runs off leaving Supes with more questions than answers. Story ends on heart warming with Mari hanging out Kip (photographers nephew).

Next up: Justice League Detroit.