Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

the bikini? she's at work. it's part of the story. there are pages missing in the preview art for the article.

Well that was an interesting read...though it seem short.

spoilers:
    Vixen can magically transform into her costume. Fly with proportional speed of a housefly...putting her top speed over 1,000 miles per hour. Putting her flight speed well above the speed of sound (770mph).

Nice shout out to Flint from Stormwatch. I'm guess Impala is at least close to the speed of sound while running. He also seems to be part of the Animal Masters and like Vixen's relative Tabu, his power seems to come from his mask.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 01-08-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Well that was an interesting read...though it seem short.

spoilers:
    Vixen can magically transform into her costume. Fly with proportional speed of a housefly...putting her top speed aover 1,000 miles per hour. Putting her flight speed well above the speed of sound (770mph).

Nice shout out to Flint from Stormwatch. I'm guess Impala is at least close the speed of sound while running. He also seems to be part of the Animal Masters and like Vixen's relative Tabu, his power seems to come from his mask.
    end of spoilers
    Enjoyed the issue! i think issue #2 comes out next week?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Enjoyed the issue! i think issue #2 comes out next week?
    Yeah, I think it comes next week. It was an interesting issue.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

1st issue was ok...they went a little bit out of their way to not bring in an entire team that could help but Mari looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm guessing maybe Vixen never got a live action show because the ratings for the animated Vixen movie they aired on the CW didn't do so well in the ratings (most likely because the CW didn't advertise it like they should have, so a lot of people probably didn't even know it was going to air).

Another reason could be that Megalyn Echikunwoke wasn't available to do a weekly, live action show, and they didn't want to recast another actress as Mari, for some reason. The CW couldn't even get her to guest-star on "Legends of Tomorrow" during Season 3 like they wanted (because Megalyn was supposedly too busy).
    Megalyn wasnt interested in playing the character in live action after her 1st outting. She was offered a series regular role on Legends but turned it down and of course the rest is history. Recast and give Vixen a new show!
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-08-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    1st issue was ok...they went a little bit out of their way to not bring in an entire team that could help but Mari looked great.
    Would have loved to see more Global Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    1st issue was ok...they went a little bit out of their way to not bring in an entire team that could help
    I wanted it clear what the Global Guardians do and what the nature of this threat is. And why it has to be Mari, Impala and [redacted] who have to fight it.

There's an actual story here. You'll see. next week reveals even more.

there are no coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And looking back, . . .

a victim of the DC Implosion . . .
    She really could have been like the Eartha Kitt or the Iman of the DC Universe, nothing was stopping DC comics from building back up any of the characters whose books were canceled or never started as a result of the DC implosion.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I liked issue 1. I forgot how short digital series are so I was kinda shocked how fast I read through it.

Mari is very much assertive and in control of her business which I like. I love when writers detail her life.

So far I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    She really could have been like the Eartha Kitt or the Iman of the DC Universe, nothing was stopping DC comics from building back up any of the characters whose books were canceled or never started as a result of the DC implosion.
    Well, what Vixen did get after the Implosion was . . .

Action Comics #521 (July 1981)

and

DC Comics Presents #68 (April 1984)

before

Justice League of America Annual #2 (1984)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I wanted it clear what the Global Guardians do and what the nature of this threat is. And why it has to be Mari, Impala and [redacted] who have to fight it.

There's an actual story here. You'll see. next week reveals even more.

there are no coincidences.
    Its very rare that I get a digital copy of a book, I think I have like six? Four various wonder woman and two black panther..? Even though I have pre-ordered truth and justice 1, I was curious about the first chapter and I do love Mari and am a huge sucker for the Global Guardians (GGI? International? I LOVE IT!) So I did go a head and buy this. Man I do wish DC would either give Vixen a full series or give GGI a series and make her part of the cast.
    Excellent first chapter. Can't wait to read the rest.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 01-08-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Thoughts:

- Issue opening up with gorilla's like it's a Golden Age comic...

- Mari in a bikini. That is all .

- "Old geezer" is Impala talking about Barry or Jay?

- Vixen transforming into her costume was pretty cool. Did the bikini get vaporized in favor of the costume popping up or is she wearing it under the costume? Elaine was acting like it's happened before and they'll probably never see it again...

- Already some nice variety and implementation of Vixen's powers .

first issue of truth and justice was solid, I'm interested to see more. I'm a little bummed they wholesale dropped the other suit (I liked everything except bird-crotch) but I understand why, and her rebirth suit is still pretty solid regardless. character-wise, I like that Vixen feels very confident in her business, hero and others; the heroic clause was kinda funny to me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    first issue of truth and justice was solid, I'm interested to see more. I'm a little bummed they wholesale dropped the other suit (I liked everything except bird-crotch) but I understand why, and her rebirth suit is still pretty solid regardless. character-wise, I like that Vixen feels very confident in her business, hero and others; the heroic clause was kinda funny to me.
    To be honest, just seeing the Rebirth suit again, I feel like it's a better suit than the concept redesign even if it wasn't a bad design (aside from the bird-crotch).

I liked the first issue's story well enough, but the format of DC's Digital Firsts bugged me as usual. Splitting regular pages in two and pretending like they've successfully created a book for the digital format always comes off as half-assed.
    Not the greatest reading experience when all the pages are cropped, sometimes over the art. And if you're reading on a tablet, the cropping is even less necessary. I was hoping this series wouldn't have to follow the restraints of such a bad format.

As for the story itself, I liked how the issue introduced Mari and her career while also using Impala and Mist, two characters we don't see enough of.
    I also love the concept of updating the Global Guardians. The original iteration was very stereotypical, but I think it's one of DC's teams with most unrealized potential.
    That said, what does GGI mean? Global Guardians Initiative? I thought their role would be a bit more political in contrast to the JL's (given they're funded by the UN), so their new mission was surprising but maybe not so unique to them.

I hope this comic does well so we can see more of this corner of the DCU. It's a crime Vixen has only ever had one solo mini.