Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    An earlier comment (sorry I don't remember who) pointed out Kamala may not have become as popular if she was a mutant. I wonder it that's true.
    As someone than came later to the disscussion, and read some of the Kamala comics, (and liked) I would say than Kamala became popular depiste being an inhuman character. What I mean is being an inhuman character didn't help her popularity, but didn't was detrimental for her, either.

Being an inhuman is less important to her than being muslim. Being inhuman would be relevant for her character if she would had started as an inhuman character in the inhumans books and if her world orbited around the inhumans situations and plots. From what I read, most of Kamala situation were about her life, her family and her neighbordhood and school. Her most regular contact with the inhumans were Lockjaw. But maybe it was my mistake and I had not read the more inhumans driven issues. But from what I read, the inhuman aspect was something non existant.

In the Kamala case, that would be the same. If she (or Moon girl) would had debuted earlier or later they would had changed to those other times circunstances, it was the trends of the moment, but other elements, as her muslim identity would had been keep the same. I remember an interview were the creators of Moongirl were asked to made her an inhuman character, and they had not problem with that because that trait was not thet relevant to their character (I think I read it in Bleeding Cool years ago, if you want to check). So the case of kamala is parallel. Being inhuman is not that pivotal. The point is than you can change her (Kamala) from being an inhuman (and if it is done, most probably Marvel could wanted to make the Kree connection more direct to her) and that could be a minor change. But, on the other hand, if you, for example make an issue about Kamala becoming christian... then you would really have hell$#!+ and fire.

On the mutant comparative there is a particular difference: Many mutant characters became famous after they debuted in the x-men books and then they migrated to their own books, but I hardly remember the opposite case. Maybe there are but I don't remember anyone right now. Kamala started in her own book and then it was said she was an inhuman. If she would had spend one or two years as a member of the inhumans books as a character in development, I would agree than being inhuman is a relevant part of her identity.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    As someone than came later to the disscussion, and read some of the Kamala comics, (and liked) I would say than Kamala became popular depiste being an inhuman character. What I mean is being an inhuman character didn't help her popularity, but didn't was detrimental for her, either.

Being an inhuman is less important to her than being muslim. Being inhuman would be relevant for her character if she would had started as an inhuman character in the inhumans books and if her world orbited around the inhumans situations and plots. From what I read, most of Kamala situation were about her life, her family and her neighbordhood and school. Her most regular contact with the inhumans were Lockjaw. But maybe it was my mistake and I had not read the more inhumans driven issues. But from what I read, the inhuman aspect was something non existant.

In the Kamala case, that would be the same. If she (or Moon girl) would had debuted earlier or later they would had changed to those other times circunstances, it was the trends of the moment, but other elements, as her muslim identity would had been keep the same. I remember an interview were the creators of Moongirl were asked to made her an inhuman character, and they had not problem with that because that trait was not thet relevant to their character (I think I read it in Bleeding Cool years ago, if you want to check). So the case of kamala is parallel. Being inhuman is not that pivotal. The point is than you can change her (Kamala) from being an inhuman (and if it is done, most probably Marvel could wanted to make the Kree connection more direct to her) and that could be a minor change. But, on the other hand, if you, for example make an issue about Kamala becoming christian... then you would really have hell$#!+ and fire.

On the mutant comparative there is a particular difference: Many mutant characters became famous after they debuted in the x-men books and then they migrated to their own books, but I hardly remember the opposite case. Maybe there are but I don't remember anyone right now. Kamala started in her own book and then it was said she was an inhuman. If she would had spend one or two years as a member of the inhumans books as a character in development, I would agree than being inhuman is a relevant part of her identity.
    Ok. I agree her Muslim identity is more notable than her Inhuman identity. I'm just wondering if she'd get solo comics as a mutant.

I'm wondering what the point is, of retconning her Inhuman connections.
    we have yet to see how this is handled in her Disney+ show, since the Inhumans show is now considered apocryphal?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    we have yet to see how this is handled in her Disney+ show, since the Inhumans show is now considered apocryphal?
    Technically, everything under Marvel Television is apocryphal now.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Ok. I agree her Muslim identity is more notable than her Inhuman identity. I'm just wondering if she'd get solo comics as a mutant.
    I'd say no because there has never really been any history of a new character getting a solo mutant book. X-23 got it because she's got connections to the X-Men brand embassador. If they were to give any female mutant a solo it should be Storm. But their current project now revolves around being a united force and not individuals.

The difference between inhumans and mutants publication-wise is that inhumans interact with the Marvel Universe. Mutants and the X-Men are the Batman of Marvel comics. They don't need or want anyone else involved. If Marvel was aiming to make a character for the Marvel Universe, it would have been tough.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't understand the point of retconning it either. I don't know if they will

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I'd say no because there has never really been any history of a new character getting a solo mutant book. X-23 got it because she's got connections to the X-Men brand embassador. If they were to give any female mutant a solo it should be Storm. But their current project now revolves around being a united force and not individuals.

The difference between inhumans and mutants publication-wise is that inhumans interact with the Marvel Universe. Mutants and the X-Men are the Batman of Marvel comics. They don't need or want anyone else involved. If Marvel was aiming to make a character for the Marvel Universe, it would have been tough.
    In that case, her being an Inhuman is relatively more helpful
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 06-19-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, everything under Marvel Television is apocryphal now.
    Yeah, Agents of SHIELD is no longer MCU canon either - which means Ms. Marvel will be rebooting the Inhumans if the origin used in the TV show is comic accurate.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I would say being a mutant would've harmed her. With a few exceptions being an X-teen is probably the worst job a teen hero can get in Marvel. Look at the usage the Young Avengers and Champions get vs. the New X-Men kids from the Academy X days....the ones who weren't blown up, mind you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I would say being a mutant would've harmed her. With a few exceptions being an X-teen is probably the worst job a teen hero can get in Marvel. Look at the usage the Young Avengers and Champions get vs. the New X-Men kids from the Academy X days....the ones who weren't blown up, mind you.
    Too bad for fans of those characters. I think those guys should get similar levels of promotion if Marvel wants to build the next generation of X-Men, both in and out of comics

It's a shame...Kamala interning for SWORD or X-corp would've been cool.

With villians, I think you just have keep creating new ones and see what works. Ironically she needs someone like Tynion or Tamaki from the recent Batman comics. They are creating new villians for Batman and the Vhampions need to follow suit.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-20-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

With villians, I think you just have keep creating new ones and see what works. Ironically she needs someone like Tynion or Tamaki from the recent Batman comics. They are creating new villians for Batman and the Vhampions need to follow suit.
    Isn't part of the problem also the writers never build up the villains with consistent appearances?

I also don't know if working for SWORD or X-corp fits with her characterization so far

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Hopefully, that is what we get, at least on the rogues gallery front, and like Mik said, it would be good if the writers would build up those villains more.

Speaking of Kamala, has anyone else seen the anime Marvel Future Avengers? She has a pretty big role there in the second season after her introduction in the first season, and it goes into a lot of depth on her life and character as both a not-so-ordinary teenage girl and an aspiring superhero.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Isn't part of the problem also the writers never build up the villains with consistent appearances?

I also don't know if working for SWORD or X-corp fits with her characterization so far
    Sure but no one knows what's gonna take off. So keeping your options open is key.

SWORD is just a mutant space program that wants to protect Earth. So it feels like something that Kamala could be interested in. Plus she could have an interest in space because of her fandom of Carol. So you could have her intern with the ambassadors like Frenzy.

X-corp is just a business and Kamala doesn't really have any specific goals or hobbies beyond being a superhero fan. So her thinking about a life beyond superheroing could be interesting. Plus her interacting with Monet could be fun.

She also could work in Way of X which is about mutant spirituality. Kurt would talk with other religious mutants and you could give her the same hangups he has about Krakoa.

Marauders are pirates but they seek to help mutants accross the world. But Kitty mentoring Kamala because she reminds her of herself back in the day could be interesting.

It be funny if she teamed up with the Children of the Atom thinking they were fellow teen mutant heroes.

She'd probably be one of the students in New Mutants.

Ultimate Member

I think when it comes to villains, both factors affect popularity

As for Kamala, I think her existing origin is ultimately better for her than a mutant origin. I actually think Nee Mutants is more interesting than the main X-books, but Idk if shr would've gained her current level of popularity with the way new X-men are promoted, even on that team

I also thought her whole characterization of not doing things the way the previous superheroes did would put her at odds with the organizations running the X-Men

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    You're not wrong, but that would only really be a factor for Kamala if they created her as a mutant who is also an X-Man. If she was a mutant created outside of the X-Office and with little to no ties to the X-Men, I think her success would've remained the same, because she wouldn't be subjected to the same rules and status quos of other mutant characters. As we saw recently with Franklin Richards, the X-Office can't really control any mutants who belong to other franchises.