Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Changing her origin feels like your tackling the wrong issue.
    Meh, I don't care about her origin. For the most part, being Inhuman always felt like it was the convenient excuse given the timing and what few moments it meant anything (Stormranger, her father dying) could have easily be replaced with other reasons or causes.

If anything, if it's going to be changed, it'll likely be to Kamala being some sort of unknown cosmic entity because of her "molecular time-travel".
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

There's only like 2 mutants that have never joined an X-Men team, and the X-office has never stopped creating new mutants. The only new mutant with a solo after the 90's was X-23 who later joined the X-Men. If they weren't doing Inhumanity, she would've been a mutate.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    When Sana Amanat created the character, they decided on her civilian identity first (a Muslim teenage girl), and her codename, powers and origin later. That's why her powers look different in her debut in Captain Marvel. They hadn't yet settled on how her powers work, it was her own book's first artist that came up with that. The terrigen mist origin was just timing convenience as that had just happened in the Inhumanity event when the book was launching. If she'd debuted a couple of years earlier, there's no reason to think she wouldn't have been a mutant. She wouldn't have been the only non-X affiliated mutant (Justice, who debuted in Defenders and then joined The Thing's supporting cast in Ben's solo book, comes to mind, he's only been a New Warrior and an Avenger, never an X-Man). The codename Ms. Marvel (and thus, her connection to Carol) was picked because it happened to be vacant - apparently Ms. Fantastic had been considered due to her powers being similar to Reed's.
    I think the other part of my quote is relevant when discussing the importance of her solo status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    And they would've downplayed her heritage because mutants are allegories for religious minorities and POC, and it wouldn't have made any sense to have non-mutants represent this.

The new mutant characters they invented during the Inhumanity era (yes, they were creating new mutant characters and stories despite people saying otherwise) are in their books now, but have taken a back seat.

Ms. Marvel wouldn't have been able to be independent and shine the way she has if she were tied down to a franchise with "legacy" characters. The refreshing thing about her Moongirl and Mosaic was that they were tied to a greater Marvel Universe mythos, but weren't trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The majority of X-fans don’t hate Kamala. If anything, we know her as the only shining gem in the Inhumans push.

It’s a “he-man haters club” who hates Kamala and her fellow “SJW” heroes. The same ones hating that Carol left the sexy black leather for her current Captain Marvel look.
    A majority of X-Men fans hate anything inhuman and saw her as part of the problem. They only gave her a pass when she befriended Cyclops. These people aren't thinking logically. Trying to find excuses for them is pointless.

If they truly like her, they should accept that she's inhuman and that there's nothing wrong with her being one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Meh, I don't care about her origin. For the most part, being Inhuman always felt like it was the convenient excuse given the timing and what few moments it meant anything (Stormranger, her father dying) could have easily be replaced with other reasons or causes.

If anything, if it's going to be changed, it'll likely be to Kamala being some sort of unknown cosmic entity because of her "molecular time-travel".
    But the Inhumans do give a Kree connection, which can lead into a Captain Marvel crossover story.

Extraordinary Member

A majority of X-Men fans hate anything inhuman and saw her as part of the problem. They only gave her a pass when she befriended Cyclops. These people aren't thinking logically. Trying to find excuses for them is pointless.

If they truly like her, they should accept that she's inhuman and that there's nothing wrong with her being one.
    Nope. The majority of Kamala haters are the ones who hated “black Captain America”, “black Spider-man”, “ask me about my feminist agenda” Mockingbird, not drawn attractive squirrel girl, “Asian Hulk”, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    But the Inhumans do give a Kree connection, which can lead into a Captain Marvel crossover story.
    The Kree usually don't even care about the Inhumans (when they do, it always ends badly for them), so that indirect tie doesn't really work for Kamala.
    Last edited by Myetche; 06-18-2021 at 09:41 AM.

There was also Lockjaw, although we really haven't seen him in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was also Lockjaw, although we really haven't seen him in a while.
    He's a dog. People like dogs. That's the main reason why he was pushed for a while.

He's a dog. People like dogs. That's the main reason why he was pushed for a while.
    I mean, that's a pretty basic summation of it but he was a fun part of the book all the same .

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Nope. The majority of Kamala haters are the ones who hated “black Captain America”, “black Spider-man”, “ask me about my feminist agenda” Mockingbird, not drawn attractive squirrel girl, “Asian Hulk”, and so forth.
    Yeah, them too. But there's a lot of X-Men fans that were in that "Marvel is shoving new content we don't like down our throats" group. They definitely didn't like what she represented from the inhumans angle and still don't accept her comic book race and see it as a defect, because hating someone's race is what the X-Men is all about to these people. The other people didn't like her because of her ethnicity and since the Inhumanity era only introduced POC, they didn't like the inhumans.

The Kree usually don't even care about the Inhumans, so that indirect tie doesn't really work for Kamala.
    The Kree made her race, so she does have a Kree connection.

And they've had lots of stories where they interact.

The Kree made her race, so she does have a Kree connection.

And they've had lots of stories where they interact.
    And they never end well for the Kree.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Here's the article about the new mini on marvel.com. Explosion at her cousin's lab, in Chicago of all places? If they're going to set it there, why introduce a new character? Just use Ironheart!
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...d-announcement
    Chicago! A city other than New York?! Careful Marvel, before you know it you will find yourself in places like Milwaukee!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

And they never end well for the Kree.
    The point is most things connected to Captain Marvel are usually Kree related because of course Mar-vell was Kree. Kamala being Inhuman gives that connection. There might be a story where this connection can be used pretty big like.

As a huge X-men fan who is also a muslim and loves Kamala, I really resent this huge generalization of X-fans. X-men fans have issues with Inhumans, that's true. And it's for very obvious reasons, they WERE being downplayed in favor of the Inhumans, this is indisputable at this point. But X-men fans as a whole don't have an issue with Kamala, she's seen as one of the best ones, and like others have said, her identity as an Inhuman isn't super important compared to other Inhumans. I personally don't care if she stays an Inhuman, I love her character regardless and it feels awesome to see representation of a Pakistani superhero, that's more important to me. Would I prefer if she was a mutant? Yeah. But it doesn't matter to me either way.

Fantastic Member

huge x-fan and i love ms marvel and there are tons just like me....its the inhuman angle people hate guarnnteed her sales would be much much better without the inhuman angle. i know for an absolute fact the writer was told not to use the word inhuman in the last run of magnifecent ms marvel go back and read the last run of issues youll be lucky to see inhuman mentioned 10 times for fact probably less