Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    I've been catching up on Champions and Kamala stuff. They what now?

Attachment 112323
    I mean the MU is full of weird things.
    Recently read Legendary star lord(not worth it imo) and Kitty Pryde was chanting stuff in a banana costume while holo-talking to quill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I mean the MU is full of weird things.
    Recently read Legendary star lord(not worth it imo) and Kitty Pryde was chanting stuff in a banana costume while holo-talking to quill.
    Yeah, I know. (and you just sold me on that issue)

It's just crazy to think that they did it specifically BECAUSE of Kamala.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I know. (and you just sold me on that issue)

It's just crazy to think that they did it specifically BECAUSE of Kamala.
    It has good moments and i enjoy the relationship(well, most of it) but the plot is not it.It's not written by bendis but it's way too Bendis which I just read a lot of and kinda am sick of tbh(that and slott).

Yeah, kinda crazy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    A lot of those rumors came from nefarious sources though but the powers rumor and powers rumor is the one everyone is getting shaky on.

I do think it's the dealbreaker.
    So, a question for the 'powers are a dealbreaker' crowd...

If she uses them exactly the same way as in the comics, but they are energy constructs rather than her body stretching, does it still make a difference to you?

It seems to me that what's important isn't the source of her powers but the way she uses and relates to them.

Also, giving her energy powers makes a clearer connection between Kamala and Carol in the MCU. And this version certainly appears to be leaning into that relationship more than the comics typically have.

I agree that it's something of a red flag change, but I'm not sure we should judge before we see how it's dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

If she uses them exactly the same way as in the comics, but they are energy constructs rather than her body stretching, does it still make a difference to you?

It seems to me that what's important isn't the source of her powers but the way she uses and relates to them.

Also, giving her energy powers makes a clearer connection between Kamala and Carol in the MCU. And this version certainly appears to be leaning into that relationship more than the comics typically have.

I agree that it's something of a red flag change, but I'm not sure we should judge before we see how it's dealt with.
    I think an energy construct would look and feel a little different from how her powers work in the comics since they're supposed to look more natural. Like a biological and intrinsic change, which I think is important and I'm not sure we'll be getting that here.

I mean, I'm fine with them leaning into the relationship more than they do in the comics but at the same time I don't think that means they need to make Kamala different so she better fits into Carol's world. It's like when they Iron Man'd Spider-Man.

It would feel like a huge cop out, sharing powers with Carol just won't work. It feels like you're gonna adapt everyone to a T but not Kamala just to bridge the relationship for Carol and make room for Reed?

As with everything, execution is key. I won't say it's impossible Marvel could win me over. I can't imagine how they'd do it, but they've proven me wrong before.

For me, it's not the change in power so much as it's a sign these people might not really get what Kamala's about. A hero's powers are meant to be a reflection of who they are, so what does it say about the showrunners if they change it? Kamala is a quirky oddball, and probably not the kind of person you'd envision when hearing the word "hero." Her powers are supposed to be weird and oddball too, and not powers you'd think a classical "hero" would have.

And there's a little of the "not fitting in" thing too. Before terrigenesis Kamala was generally happy, but didn't seem to feel she fit in anywhere; too Pakistani for public school, too American for home...those early issues dealt a lot with how Kamala balanced her upbringing against the culture around her, and how it left her feeling like she didn't fully belong. And in proper thematic expression, when she accepted her weird semi-gross powers is when she started to find her groove and where she fit in.

Giving Kamala some Lantern style pretty, sparkly energy powers might achieve the same kind of effect as her stretchy powers; she'll use them to reach tall shelves and "big energy shell" Embiggen and whatever. But I feel like it'll change the entire dynamic. The whole vibe of the character could potentially be thrown off.

And it's as basic bitch as you can get. Kamala might use her energy powers in a way other heroes don't, but it's still going to be yet another superhero throwing light and colors around. Her proper powers would stand out a whole lot more, I think.

We'll see what Marvel does. They've earned the benefit of the doubt, and since this is all still just rumor I'm not in panic mode or anything. But if it's true then I do think it's definitely a red flag.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The rumours about Kamala's actress' performance is new to me.

As for the powers thing, I'm not sure why they would decide to change the powers when it wasn't a problem for 6 - 7 years. Depending on what they do, it'll feel like a different character from the one in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Same. It was bad enough when they were trying to tie the failure of the Avengers game last year to her presence and promotion as the viewpoint character who helped bring the team (back) together, but this would be even higher-profile in comparison to a videogame.
    People forgetting Kamala ended up in Ultimate Alliance 3 which is good. Too bad it got overshadowed by Square Enix over-hyping their crap.
    "Cable was right!"

I've been catching up on Champions and Kamala stuff. They what now?

Attachment 112323
    Whoever was asking about Speedball might have changed their tune after Outlawed, I reckon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The rumours about Kamala's actress' performance is new to me.

As for the powers thing, I'm not sure why they would decide to change the powers when it wasn't a problem for 6 - 7 years. Depending on what they do, it'll feel like a different character from the one in the books.

People forgetting Kamala ended up in Ultimate Alliance 3 which is good. Too bad it got overshadowed by Square Enix over-hyping their crap.
    Yeah, that much is true about Ultimate Alliance 3, but that's a different type of game from Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics' Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Whoever was asking about Speedball might have changed their tune after Outlawed, I reckon.
    Heh, good one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It wasn't a problem in the comics because you can make almost anything work in the comics, visually speaking.

I'm not defending that they should've changed her powers, but here's a point of view I'm not seeing a lot of people consider: this is a solo superhero show with 5+ hours of screentime, most of which would be dedicated to Kamala. That is basically an entire trilogy of movies, under a single production. That makes Kamala arguably harder to adapt than someone like Reed Richards, because he would be on a 2-hour team movie where the focus would have to be split between his powers and everyone else's. Here, it's all about Kamala for a lot more time. So how do you adapt Kamala without completely burning out all your budget on her complicated stretchy powers alone? My guess: it's entirely possible that this purple energy thing was done because CGI for energy constructs are relatively easier and cheaper to make compared to shapeshifting body parts. What I'm HOPING is that the stretching will still be there, but they had to come up with an extra something to make up for the time and money they couldn't spend on focusing solely on that. But if she has no stretching at all and everything is an energy construct? Then yeah, that would be a harder pill to swallow. Best case scenario, there will be a balance between the two powers.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-10-2021 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Warriors are never going to live this down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It wasn't a problem in the comics because you can make almost anything work in the comics, visually speaking.

I'm not defending that they should've changed her powers, but here's a point of view I'm not seeing a lot of people consider: this is a solo superhero show with 5+ hours of screentime, most of which would be dedicated to Kamala. That is basically an entire trilogy of movies, under a single production. That makes Kamala arguably harder to adapt than someone like Reed Richards, because he would be on a 2-hour team movie where the focus would have to be split between his powers and everyone else's. Here, it's all about Kamala for a lot more time. So how do you adapt Kamala without completely burning out all your budget on her complicated stretchy powers alone? My guess: it's entirely possible that this purple energy thing was done because CGI for energy constructs are relatively easier and cheaper to make compared to shapeshifting body parts. What I'm HOPING is that the stretching will still be there, but they had to come up with an extra something to make up for the time and money they couldn't spend on focusing solely on that. But if she has no stretching at all and everything is an energy construct? Then yeah, that would be a harder pill to swallow. Best case scenario, there will be a balance between the two powers.
    I guess I get it if they're worried about budget, even from a Disney+ budget standpoint.

Speedball personally arrested Snowguard and Locust, and confiscated the Champions Mobile Bunker. So the Champions have every right to dislike him. Same goes for Justice unfortunately, since he personally conducted that raid in Champions #1 that led to the arrests of Wasp and Bombshell. You're right, the Warriors' reputation has taken another major hit. They were already badly affected by the first Civil War!
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-11-2021 at 12:23 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How often did she use shape shifting? I remember the turning into Carol scene tho ans she thought it was permanent.
    "Cable was right!"