Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You make sure the soul of the character is intact. Spidey had organic webbing. Is Ms Marvel just a big fist and a catch phrase or an actual character?
    Spidey had organic webbing but it’s not as though nothing of his power remained. All that really did was remove the need for him inventing web shooters. He still had all of his other powers. With Kamala, there’s nothing in common with her powers between the comics and live action. And while the personality may remain, a big visual aspect of any hero is their powers, so I’d say her powers are a big part of her especially when it came to the beginning of her story where she learned that, while she could shapeshifter into anyone, she didn’t have to change her appearance to what she thought would make her heroic to be a hero. That was a big character moment for her that you can’t really get by changing her powers.

Ultimate Member

You make sure the soul of the character is intact. Spidey had organic webbing. Is Ms Marvel just a big fist and a catch phrase or an actual character?
    Organic webbing isn't nearly as big of a change

No, but it is part (at least, for the moment) of her visual identity. The lack of webshooters didn't impact that much on spider-man because also the webshooters are no so visually relevant (the guy uses them under his globes) even if they represent an aspect of his character (inventiveness).

With this change in Kamala, who knows what other thing has been changed than we don't know yet? Will she be presented as an Inhuman or as a kree experiment, tied to the secret invasion? We could only speculate.

But why the need for the change ofhow visually her powers work? Dunno, really. Could be easly budget or maybe indeed the results didn't like to the producers or showrunners... the people in charge.

Also... this could be something tangential but already there is a female character who is using the body strechching powers and that is Elasti-Girl Rita Farr in the Doom Patrol series. and well, it has been used to its most grotesque extremes. It could be posible than using the same kind of power set could had made the people involved in the series think that that could lead to make potential viewers to compare characters. Yes, i understand than there are a lot of characters with the same powers and that it is not a problem, but strech powers are scarce and maybe harder to play in live-action without fall either in body horror or slapt-stick comedy.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 11-16-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

But nobody changed the fact he uses webs among other powers. If someone adapted him and had his powers be he shoots his finger nails like bullets there would be the same criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Also... this could be something tangential but already there is a female character who is using the body strechching powers and that is Elasti-Girl Rita Farr in the Doom Patrol series. and well, it has been used to its most grotesque extremes. It could be posible than using the same kind of power set could had made the people involved in the series think that that could lead to make potential viewers to compare characters. Yes, i understand than there are a lot of characters with the same powers and that it is not a problem, but strech powers are scarce and maybe harder to play in live-action without fall either in body horror or slapt-stick comedy.
    I didn't think of this. Thank you for bringing it up.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

I didn't think of this. Thank you for bringing it up.
    Isn't that like saying we can't have Wasp in the MCU because the Atom exists?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Isn't that like saying we can't have Wasp in the MCU because the Atom exists?
    I think is more like saying " we cannot make stretching powers in live action without either making them look like looney tunes or Cronenbergh horrors" and considering the few times this had been made...they're probably right. Is one of those powerset that look OK in animation or comics but in live action...is not as cool looking. Add to this the cost for making it, and perhaps they thought the expense was not worth it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I think is more like saying " we cannot make stretching powers in live action without either making them look like looney tunes or Cronenbergh horrors" and considering the few times this had been made...they're probably right. Is one of those powerset that look OK in animation or comics but in live action...is not as cool looking. Add to this the cost for making it, and perhaps they thought the expense was not worth it.
    But that very way of thinking means either no Mr. Fantastic, or his powers will need to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    But that very way of thinking means either no Mr. Fantastic, or his powers will need to be changed.
    Have you ever seen the ahem previous iteraction of live action mr. Richards?
    They a)downplay SERIOUSLY his power to the power "blink and you will miss" the use of his powers.
    and b) they look terrible. Usually at their best they go for goofy toony look.
    And outside superhero genre stretching powers have usually being the itendifying features of monsters...one itance i remeber vividly is the squeezing vampire from Salem's lot...that was creepy as hell.
    Interestingly I think that for a character like plastic man that could work. He is a lving cartoon already. Toony would fit him well. And yet oddly creepy at times.
    Last edited by Baron of Faltine; 11-17-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

They a)downplay SERIOUSLY his power to the power "blink and you will miss" the use of his powers.
    And outside superhero genre stretching powers have usually being the itendifying features of monsters...one itance i remeber vividly is the squeezing vampire from Salem's lot...that was creepy as hell.
    Interestingly I think that for a character like plastic man that could work. He is a lving cartoon already. Toony would fit him well. And yet oddly creepy at times.
    So that's a yes?

Ultimate Member

Yeah but Ms Marvel is more versatile so she can still use her abilities without being as cringe.

It's not a matter of cringe but budget and execution in my opinion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not a matter of cringe but budget and execution in my opinion.
    I think the same thing applies, though

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I think the same thing applies, though
    Does it though?

Yes. I was thinking in that direction. But also it could be either for something so mundane as budget or even than the strech powers can be sell as visually attractive and couldn't be translated to an atractive merchandising for an specific target public. Not everything could be related to the visual narrative.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin