Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Wanted to know if anyone else picked up Captain America #28 today. Y'know, as Coates is coming to the end of his run, I'm really beginning to appreciate his characterization of the Red Skull. In this issue, we see that in full display. Now, Coates uses certain modern sensibilities. He recasts Skull as an online conspiracy nut. But Skull's core power, his ability to masterfully, elegantly, and casually manipulate hate and fear, that is apparent in this issue. His distorting of the beating of Captain America, and having Sharon rescue him, that was excellent. Captain America being saved by a woman, Red Skull knows that will stoke the egos of angry, young men (of course, it's pretty hypocritical on Red Skull's part, since he uses his daughter to do a lot of his dirty work).

Really solid themes on display here as well. Steve represents a dream, one that people are willing to die for. But Red Skull represents fear, something that people are willing to kill for. The dream or fear, which wins out in the end? Coates sets that up nicely.

As Coates' run is coming to a close, I think all of the pieces are coming together here. This issue is certainly worth a look!
    I totally agree, the Red Skull would totally be one these keyboard warrior losers that propagates hate and fear.

I'm really glad that Coates is reminding people that Hydra are Nazis - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future in the MCU whenever they bring back Hydra that they are not a physical threat but a online one, Coates is on point

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Wanted to know if anyone else picked up Captain America #28 today. Y'know, as Coates is coming to the end of his run, I'm really beginning to appreciate his characterization of the Red Skull. In this issue, we see that in full display. Now, Coates uses certain modern sensibilities. He recasts Skull as an online conspiracy nut. But Skull's core power, his ability to masterfully, elegantly, and casually manipulate hate and fear, that is apparent in this issue. His distorting of the beating of Captain America, and having Sharon rescue him, that was excellent. Captain America being saved by a woman, Red Skull knows that will stoke the egos of angry, young men (of course, it's pretty hypocritical on Red Skull's part, since he uses his daughter to do a lot of his dirty work).

Really solid themes on display here as well. Steve represents a dream, one that people are willing to die for. But Red Skull represents fear, something that people are willing to kill for. The dream or fear, which wins out in the end? Coates sets that up nicely.

As Coates' run is coming to a close, I think all of the pieces are coming together here. This issue is certainly worth a look!
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I totally agree, the Red Skull would totally be one these keyboard warrior losers that propagates hate and fear.

I'm really glad that Coates is reminding people that Hydra are Nazis - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future in the MCU whenever they bring back Hydra that they are not a physical threat but a online one, Coates is on point
    Indeed. I think HYDRA will always have room to be a more overt physical threat for superheroes to beat down, but the real threat of HYDRA should come from how charismatic "influencers," online or not, can appeal to people's worst instincts, impulses, emotions, and desires to convert them into willing vassals of hate and fear that can (and sometimes will) go out and inflict harm or even death in the name of their ideology.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

I do think it would be interesting to see more exploration of WW2 era Captain America and I always hated how Hydra being a division of the 3rd reich was white washed. I actually thought about it awhile ago when I was visiting poland and reading a memorial to the Polish Resistance fighters and it was dated 1938 to 1955.

Which really drove home the point to me that WW2 for the US was much different then everywhere else. And to my knowledge Cpt. America never really dealt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post
    I do think it would be interesting to see more exploration of WW2 era Captain America and I always hated how Hydra being a division of the 3rd reich was white washed. I actually thought about it awhile ago when I was visiting poland and reading a memorial to the Polish Resistance fighters and it was dated 1938 to 1955.

Which really drove home the point to me that WW2 for the US was much different then everywhere else. And to my knowledge Cpt. America never really dealt with it.
    A very good point there, come to think of it.

Astonishing Member

this is about the latest Coates Captain America issue, I'm enjoying Coates Captain America and this made me laugh. Red Skull is a mutant? wtf. Cap comics always been political and critical of the country. man Im wondering what you guys think. im curious does he understand the actual story? lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post

this is about the latest Coates Captain America issue, I'm enjoying Coates Captain America and this made me laugh. Red Skull is a mutant? wtf. Cap comics always been political and critical of the country. man Im wondering what you guys think. im curious does he understand the actual story? lol
    I don't wanna give Shapiro any clicks, so I'm wondering, did he call Red Skull a mutant?

And no, I don't think he understands anything he reads or says

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post

Maybe Marvel is uncomfortable with dealing with this subject? Still, I agree it would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't wanna give Shapiro any clicks, so I'm wondering, did he call Red Skull a mutant?

And no, I don't think he understands anything he reads or says
    Ben Shapiro is just one of many profiteers in the world of far-right fearmongering targeting those in America's heretofore-dominant group (namely cisgender, heterosexual white men) who believe that advances in women's civil and human rights, nonwhite minority civil and human rights, and LGBTQ+ civil and human rights, along with other liberal/progressive causes or ideals, are an existential threat to "the American way of life." Every time you hear someone in superhero/sci-fi/fantasy (or general comics/videogames) fandom scream about "SJWs [social justice warriors] are taking over and ruining everything!" that's on the same spectrum, the same wavelength as what Shapiro is spewing. It ultimately amounts to the same thing at its core, that what used to be taken for granted as the exclusive territory of the dominant group is now having or forced to be shared with "others" that members of the dominant group view as fundamentally unworthy and inferior to themselves and therefore ruinous to that formerly exclusive territory, unless "extreme measures" are taken to force and/or keep the "others" out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ben Shapiro is just one of many profiteers in the world of far-right fearmongering targeting those in America's heretofore-dominant group (namely cisgender, heterosexual white men) who believe that advances in women's civil and human rights, nonwhite minority civil and human rights, and LGBTQ+ civil and human rights, along with other liberal/progressive causes or ideals, are an existential threat to "the American way of life." Every time you hear someone in superhero/sci-fi/fantasy (or general comics/videogames) fandom scream about "SJWs [social justice warriors] are taking over and ruining everything!" that's on the same spectrum, the same wavelength as what Shapiro is spewing. It ultimately amounts to the same thing at its core, that what used to be taken for granted as the exclusive territory of the dominant group is now having or forced to be shared with "others" that members of the dominant group view as fundamentally unworthy and inferior to themselves and therefore ruinous to that formerly exclusive territory, unless "extreme measures" are taken to force and/or keep the "others" out.
    I find it ironic that he's jewish.

I find it ironic that he's jewish.
    Hmmm, yeah?

Extraordinary Member

Did they ever say what this shield was made out of? Vibranium? Adamantium??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

Hydranium?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hydranium?
    Not that I'm aware of, but it's an otherwise-decent update to the classic Captain America look ruined by the character's ties to HYDRA. Then again, it was probably a necessary evil so the Steve Rogers we knew and loved wouldn't be (visually) associated with that travesty when he finally came back for real.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, but it's an otherwise-decent update to the classic Captain America look ruined by the character's ties to HYDRA. Then again, it was probably a necessary evil so the Steve Rogers we knew and loved wouldn't be (visually) associated with that travesty when he finally came back for real.
    I just hate to see good hardware go to waste. Slap a new coat of paint on it to dis-associate with Stevil Rogers and give it to another super soldier.

Hey guys, so I ordered the first omnibus of Brubaker’s run. Planning to get Death of Captain America as well when it gets reprinted. I’ve only read to the point where Steve gets killed, and that was a long time ago, how is the rest of Brubaker’s run? Is it worth checking out? I’ve never read BuckyCap or when Steve comes back, should I get the rest of the Omnibuses? I’ve heard Brubaker is the definitive Cap writer.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/