Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
Hi all. Wanted to know if anyone else picked up Captain America #28 today. Y'know, as Coates is coming to the end of his run, I'm really beginning to appreciate his characterization of the Red Skull. In this issue, we see that in full display. Now, Coates uses certain modern sensibilities. He recasts Skull as an online conspiracy nut. But Skull's core power, his ability to masterfully, elegantly, and casually manipulate hate and fear, that is apparent in this issue. His distorting of the beating of Captain America, and having Sharon rescue him, that was excellent. Captain America being saved by a woman, Red Skull knows that will stoke the egos of angry, young men (of course, it's pretty hypocritical on Red Skull's part, since he uses his daughter to do a lot of his dirty work).

Really solid themes on display here as well. Steve represents a dream, one that people are willing to die for. But Red Skull represents fear, something that people are willing to kill for. The dream or fear, which wins out in the end? Coates sets that up nicely.

As Coates' run is coming to a close, I think all of the pieces are coming together here. This issue is certainly worth a look!
I totally agree, the Red Skull would totally be one these keyboard warrior losers that propagates hate and fear.

I'm really glad that Coates is reminding people that Hydra are Nazis - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future in the MCU whenever they bring back Hydra that they are not a physical threat but a online one, Coates is on point