Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No. But the Inhumans have.
    No, not even the Inhumans. From day 1, Kamala's status as an Inhuman was largely (and seemingly deliberately so, by author choice) a backdrop to her present goings on, with only a handful of casual nods to something more than that. This is in spite of her being a NuHuman being the origin of her powers. (Early on, Lockjaw was her biggest continuous connection, and even that didn't tie her that close because Lockjaw was used more as her own magical pet than anything else. And then once Lockjaw left her side, she basically lost the prominent connection she had to being Inhuman.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Be interesting to see how this book fairs compared to the last run. Will they tone Lunella down a tad?
    She doesn't need to be toned down, though?

Like, what does "toned down" mean here?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-01-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I think Moon Girl's successs run is fine but she is mostly a child and her demographic audience is pretty much aim for children. Asking a grow men to buy the run is considering underage.

Riri Williams on the other end could work, but because she is Bendis's puppet. People obvious won't support anything with Bendis in it. It's pretty much tarnish her reputation as a rising star if her role purpose is not to become her own Iron Man.
    1.), Bendis isn't even at Marvel anymore, and hasn't been for years now and counting. 2.), playing up Bendis' hatedom doesn't change the fandom he rightly garnered who enjoy his works and the characters he's created. And 3.), the only ones who still hate on Riri are those who still have a hate-on for Bendis and those who hate Riri for being a Black girl in an Iron Man space, neither of whom should be given the time of day, let alone genuine credence.

And beyond that, there's nothing saying a grown person can't or wouldn't enjoy or actively seek out reading a Moon Girl book. That's playing on stereotypical ageist insecurities as if they were natural occurrences when they're not.

Fantastic Member

guarentted when this book starts just like when ms marvel returns she will not be an inhuman or at the very least the word inhuman will not be permitted to be used in the book

I feel this book was doomed when they decided to go against the better decision to make Miles the leader, and narrative driver of this book. I was there at the beginning when Miles was listed on the team when he so much momentum still building and the book seem to make him a 3rd stringer and mute his natural charisma. He had led a team of heroes temporarily in his own book already.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    She doesn't need to be toned down, though?

Like, what does "toned down" mean here?
    I feel like her abrasiveness and reaction to others in her comics (including guest stars) was a bit much, without as much character development, but that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I feel this book was doomed when they decided to go against the better decision to make Miles the leader, and narrative driver of this book. I was there at the beginning when Miles was listed on the team when he so much momentum still building and the book seem to make him a 3rd stringer and mute his natural charisma. He had led a team of heroes temporarily in his own book already.
    If Miles being in the book wasn't enough to guarantee strong sales, I don't know if making him the most important character would have made that much of a difference. Spider-Man being in a book isn't as much of a sales guarantee as it used to be.
    1.), Bendis isn't even at Marvel anymore, and hasn't been for years now and counting. 2.), playing up Bendis' hatedom doesn't change the fandom he rightly garnered who enjoy his works and the characters he's created. And 3.), the only ones who still hate on Riri are those who still have a hate-on for Bendis and those who hate Riri for being a Black girl in an Iron Man space, neither of whom should be given the time of day, let alone genuine credence.
    I like Riri but I still maintain her introduction and subsequent first comic from Bendis was flawed.

Several Champions show up in Dark Ages #1.

spoilers:
    Miles is shown with his spider-sense going haywire, alongside Gwen and Peter. Moon Girl, Totally Awesome Hulk and Viv Vision also appear - Viv is killed when electricity is removed from the world.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Several Champions show up in Dark Ages #1.

spoilers:
    Miles is shown with his spider-sense going haywire, alongside Gwen and Peter. Moon Girl, Totally Awesome Hulk and Viv Vision also appear - Viv is killed when electricity is removed from the world.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    So no Sam? Why doesn't that surprise me.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I believe you’ve nailed it my friend
    I nailed it! 8-)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I feel like her abrasiveness and reaction to others in her comics (including guest stars) was a bit much, without as much character development, but that's just my opinion.

If Miles being in the book wasn't enough to guarantee strong sales, I don't know if making him the most important character would have made that much of a difference. Spider-Man being in a book isn't as much of a sales guarantee as it used to be.

I like Riri but I still maintain her introduction and subsequent first comic from Bendis was flawed.
    Fair enough, though that was no excuse for the sheer vitriol and venom hurled her way by certain factions of the fandom. That, and like skyvolt2000 and J. D. Guy pointed out, a lot of it came from so-called "traditional" fans who hated Riri (and Kamala) for representing a deviation from the "standard" of what a superhero could or should be (or look like) in their minds.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

No, not even the Inhumans. From day 1, Kamala's status as an Inhuman was largely (and seemingly deliberately so, by author choice) a backdrop to her present goings on, with only a handful of casual nods to something more than that. This is in spite of her being a NuHuman being the origin of her powers. (Early on, Lockjaw was her biggest continuous connection, and even that didn't tie her that close because Lockjaw was used more as her own magical pet than anything else. And then once Lockjaw left her side, she basically lost the prominent connection she had to being Inhuman.)
    I mean her last arc before Secret Wars was pretty Inhuman related. Though I do not see her being it as detrimental to her. The Kree connection helps out good as a possibel story with Captain Marvel, and being an Inhuman had her on the Secret Warriors/Warriors team. Which allowed her book not to have a Secret Empire tie-in, as it wasn't uncommon for that time for tie-ins to events to have a drop in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, though that was no excuse for the sheer vitriol and venom hurled her way by certain factions of the fandom. That, and like skyvolt2000 and J. D. Guy pointed out, a lot of it came from so-called "traditional" fans who hated Riri (and Kamala) for representing a deviation from the "standard" of what a superhero could or should be (or look like) in their minds.
    Obviously not, although I still maintain the run she originated in had its fair share of flaws.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    guarentted when this book starts just like when ms marvel returns she will not be an inhuman or at the very least the word inhuman will not be permitted to be used in the book
    Why would that be an issue? Sure, the push for the Inhumans may have been unsuccessful (which is a shame because I thought the main Inhumans book was pretty good) but they are still classic Marvel characters. As people have pointed out they were never a big part of Kamala's stories but it's fine to for them to pop up every now and again surely.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Obviously not, although I still maintain the run she originated in had its fair share of flaws.
    Reasonable enough.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    spoilers:
    So no Sam? Why doesn't that surprise me.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, no Sam. Having now read it properly, the only one I missed was Kamala. No Nova. No Ironheart either.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman