All-New Member

Default Which Venom series should i grab?

I'm not much into superhero comics but once in a while i do read them. Today I was browsing the web for collected editions (mostly of other publishers) when i stumbled upon a few Venom TPBs.
    Since i really enjoyed the Venom movie starring Tom Hardy, i thought its time for me to pick up some Venom comics as well.
    After browsing wikipedia, i found out that there are numerous venom series. Can someone here please suggest me a comic that explains Venom's origin. And also which complete series should i pick up after reading the origin story?

There's a 2018 series by Donny Cates. Is it any good? I don't know how many volumes or issues it has since i can't find much info on the web. And i think the story crosses over to other Marvel titles like Carnage etc.
    ... On amazon the numbering seems to be wrong, or maybe its me who's reading them all wrong.
    A little help would be great. Thank you.
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 10-22-2021 at 06:11 AM.

All-New Member

Found a reading order of the 2018 Donny Cates Venom series.

Venom (2018 series) #1

Venom (2018 series) #2

Venom (2018 series) #3

Venom (2018 series) #4

Venom (2018 series) #5

Web of Venom: Ve’Nam #1 (one-shot)

Venom (2018 series) #6

Venom Annual #1

Venom (2018 series) #7

Venom (2018 series) #8

Web of Venom: Carnage Born

Venom (2018 series) #9

Web of Venom: Unleashed

Venom (2018 series) #10

Venom (2018 series) #11

Venom (2018 series) #12

Web of Venom: Cult of Carnage

Venom (2018 series) #13

Venom (2018 series) #14

Venom (2018 series) #15

Venom #13-15 tie into the War of the Realms event.

Free Comic Book Day 2019 (Spider-Man/Venom)

Venom (2018 series) #16

Web of Venom: Funeral Pyre

Absolute Carnage

Web of Venom: Wraith

Web of Venom: The Good Son

Venom (2018 series) #21

Venom (2018 series) #22

Venom (2018 series) #23

Venom (2018 series) #24

Venom (2018 series) #25

Free Comic Book Day 2020 (Spider-Man/Venom)

Venom (2018 series) #26

Venom (2018 series) #27

Venom (2018 series) #28

Venom (2018 series) #29

Venom (2018 series) #30

Web of Venom: Empyre’s End
    (Issues 31-35 not included in this list.)

Sorry for asking a stupid question but apart from collecting all the main issues of venom, do i also need to collect all the annuals and web of venom one-shots mentioned in this list?
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 10-22-2021 at 08:07 AM.

I don't think you NEED to collect everything unless you are a perfectionist. I would suggest reading the main Venom series plus two crossover series- Absolute Carnage and King in Black. Reading every single issue is gonna cost you a lot of money and time (especially if you want to collect them as single issues!). For me Cates' Venom is pretty okay/mid, I can't say I like Venom as a character this much. I would suggest buying first tpb "Rex" and reading it.
    Speaking of Venom's origin, it goes all the way to 1980s to Marvel's "Secret Wars" event and Spider-Man's comic books. If you need that starting point, I think buying something like "Birth of Venom" tpb would be your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Speaking of Venom's origin, it goes all the way to 1980s to Marvel's "Secret Wars" event and Spider-Man's comic books. If you need that starting point, I think buying something like "Birth of Venom" tpb would be your best option.
    I concur. Definitely, you can't go wrong with those recommendations.

Secret Wars '84
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...t_Wars_Vol_1_8

Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spide..._Venom_Vol_1_1

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-22-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Links.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    I don't think you NEED to collect everything unless you are a perfectionist. I would suggest reading the main Venom series plus two crossover series- Absolute Carnage and King in Black. Reading every single issue is gonna cost you a lot of money and time (especially if you want to collect them as single issues!). For me Cates' Venom is pretty okay/mid, I can't say I like Venom as a character this much. I would suggest buying first tpb "Rex" and reading it.
    On amazon i found two TPBs. One is named Absolute Carnage which collects absolute carnage issues 1-5 ... and the other one is named Venom vol.3 Absolute Carnage which collects venom (2018) issues 16-20.
    Are these two TPBs the same comic released in two different titles or do they contain two separate stories?

The reason i thought i should ask this here is because one of the customers on amazon commented that first we need to read the core Absolute Carnage TPB and only after that we need to read venom vol.3 absolute carnage.
    I'm a little confused. I don't wanna buy the same comic twice.

Also the last issues (issues 31-35) of the venom (2018) series by Donny Cates are collected in a TPB named venom vol.6 King in Black.
    Is this the King in black TPB you were suggesting? Once I collect this, will i be done with the series or does the venom 2018 series by Cates continues even after King in Black?
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 10-22-2021 at 10:01 PM.