Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Rachel broke and resisted the conditioning herself as a teen. Then she got a new body from the Phoenix, when she died saving the multi-verse. Not sure if the Phoenix removed the conditioning as Rachel healed, but much later the Phoenix did revert Rachel back, houndmarks included when the Phoenix gave all it's power to Hope. I guess Mesmero poking around and then Ahab and those twins hounding her again made it official. Rachel got de-programmed in the future by Stryfe's psionic blob servants... and then Rachel's future self convinced Rachel to free her own mind.

It'll be sad, that after all these years of growth and the opportunities for Rachel to build any future she wants on Krakoa... that she'll just be used for a hound prototype again by the end of Hickman's run. Is it worse if they just don't involve her in that plot point? She could be excluded, just like with all the Phoenix-related stuff lately.
    Yes, the Phoenix Force removed all mental tampering and modifications by Ahab and Mojo when it healed her body. However, when editorial wanted Jean to return with the Phoenix (before they officially made Hope Hope), Yost was told that when the Phoenix Echo was to leave her she would be no longer connected to it. So he decided that the Phoenix Force would revert Rachel entirely (body and skillset) to who she was prior to accepting the Force in Uncanny X-Men 199. Which was a HUGE reversal in development, almost as much as what Claremont has done to her in Uncanny. None of the other hosts of Phoenix Echos or shards were demoted, just Rachel because the editors and writers didn't like her character.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Rachel was more of an early experiment in Hound Programming. She was deliberately captured on the attack on the X-Mansion that killed Xavier and Scott. They wanted a young telepath for the experimental program. Rachel wasn't genetically modified as future hounds were, she was tortured and brainwashed over a long period until Ahab had made her absolutely obedient. The flaw was that she still had her normal emotional responses and deep down inside she was compassionate for her victims. Thus Rachel started absorbing the memories of the people she killed, and eventually she was able to free herself from the programming. But she had been a hound for a while by this point. They were unable to reprogram Rachel as a hound so they threw her in the concentration camp with the other mutants. After the failure of Rachel, Ahab and the Sentinels tried finding new ways to create hounds using nanotech and genetic modification. They never had a chance to do these experiments on Rachel because she escaped from the concentration camp with Kate and ended up on a different Earth. But by the time the Days of Future Present story came around, Ahab had perfected his hound tech and he quickly reprogrammed Scott Summers and Sue Storm into hounds after he captured them. He used genetic modification to do it, which would technically be permanent. Rachel used her Phoenix Powers and Telekinesis to undo the damage to Scott and Sue's DNA and restored them back to normal.

Rachel was always the alpha test model for the hound program which was a direct descendent of the Weapon X program. The two programs are linked to each other. But Rachel was programmed using conventional torture and brainwashing, she wasn't programmed with genetic modifications. Genetically modified hounds came much later.
    Huzzah, great recap!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    A great succinct rundown of the history. I worry though with the reintroduction of hounds with Ahab and now with ORCHIS that she is going to be drawn into it. I wouldn't mind it to be honest because it might mean more time on panel. Unfortunately though it is the logical stepping stone for that program to begin with Rachel again. It might actually be a great time to see the entire Summers family rally in support of her to free her, but I doubt that would happen. That chance was left behind only a couple of years ago when she was taken by Ahab again.
    I don't know that we would see Ahab in the same as previously had. At this point we don't know what happened to Rory Campbell 616. There was talk that he merged with Ahab 811 during the Uncanny Avengers run. So he wouldn't have the same connections to the program that other Ahab did, but he does have a connection to Rachel via Excalibur (and a weird hinted at love interest). I think the hounds would come out in a different fashion given how much exposure they have had in recent years (hounds). So ORCHIS, Nimrod, and Omega Sentinel might go a different route.

Given the backlash they faced from Extermination and X-Force I don't think JDW would allow her to be captured and brainwashed AGAIN. And let's be real, if Rachel were to be captured again Cable would be leading the charge to get her back, with Scott likely backing him but would likely end with her dying. Maybe Jean would help too? And that's not me being shady, it's me seeing what is being written and following the writers leads. In nearly 3 years Rachel and Jean have had 1 exchange and it was Jean saying good job. I don't doubt that Jean cares for her as it matches how I envision Jean, but that is asking us readers to say "well you KNOW she cares about Rachel and they have a wonderful relationship" but none of that is ever shown or even hinted at. There have been so many lost and ignored opportunities to show small interactions the past two years and they aren't showing them, so they don't exist.

If Rachel won't be involved in any upcoming hound related stories for the reasons you mentioned, I wonder what makes Rachel relevant anymore?

Rachel isn't fundamental to the story of the X-Men as Charles Xavier or Magneto. Nor does she have the depth of connection to the franchise as Jean Grey and Scott Summers. Rachel does have some distinctions that set her apart from other legacy characters, and she has benefitted from a memorable origin story and first story arc. In the 1980s, Rachel was iconic for the X-franchise, but her importance has diminished as the X-Men narrative has evolved. Nevertheless, writers continue to salvage Rachel's distinct character vs. character conflict to deliver derivative stories and reductive reinterpretations.

Rachel was the X-Men's first dystopian future refugee and arguably the least complicated. Yet, she hasn't gained widespread recognition as subsequent time-travellers like Cable or Bishop. Rachel's most noteworthy contribution was the two-issue Days of Future Past story which was the penultimate collaboration between Byrne and Claremont. Rachel made the Days of Future Past story possible through her unique mutation to project a consciousness/mind through time. The plot to change the past through a mind switch was Rachel's idea, her solution for a doomed world (as explained by Kate Pryde, whose mind gets swapped). Magneto acknowledged Rachel's crucial role in saving humanity; she symbolized the last hope for survival.

Over the years, aspects of Rachel's origins have been adapted for the cinematic universe and printed retellings, while Rachel herself is removed entirely from these reinterpretations. Excluding Rachel from Days of Future Past muddles what was originally philosophically profound; she represents the legacy of the X-Men in a world where humanity has lost. Rachel was meant to be the last survivor, the best of the X-Men as her mother Phoenix was. Yet, writers choose to ignore Rachel's origins concerning the Phoenix and even disregard her extensive experience as a Phoenix host. This negation impacts Rachel's recognition and character growth, which results in confusion and frustration for readers. Moreover, it is confounding to see adversaries connected to Rachel's narrative (Ahab and Nimrod) and concepts (the Hound program and omega-class mutants) being reimagined without the attributing character. Rewriting history to ignore a character's contributions to the X-Men franchise is a disservice to readers; for reasons, explore extensive research on the psychology behind meaning-making and story completion.

Despite having a supporting role in most of her appearances, Rachel has been pivotal to the trajectory of the X-Men's narrative. For better or worse, Rachel's origins introduced time travel and alternate reality stories. Firstly, we see Rachel as a prophetic symbol that highlights the tragic consequences of bigotry; Claremont often references how Rachel's future predicted the September 11th attacks on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre. Secondly, Rachel represents the purpose of the mutant struggle: a self-determined future that benefits subsequent generations. We see Rachel acting as a crusader for Xavier's dream when she prevents the X-Men from abandoning the team and Professor Xavier's dream. Rachel brings together and entreats her friends to form Excalibur to continue Xavier's dream. Moreover, Rachel perpetuates the dream in the far future when she forms the Askani. In her first appearance in the main Marvel universe (New Mutants), readers view a memory of Rachel as the only survivor, standing by her mentor as their world falls. Rachel was a metaphor for the perseverance of Xavier's dream, even under impossible circumstances and even when its flawed.

Rachel no longer has the influence she once held, and her character evolution has slowed, paused and sometimes has regressed. Nevertheless, aspects of her story continue to surface. The 40-year-old themes of Days of Future Past are still relevant today with Jonathan Hickman's new era for mutant-kind. Ultimately, Rachel's story explores the loss of humanity and highlights the possibilities within choice and change. I hope the powers that be allow this sympathetic character to evolve past basic survival, her perspective is valued in times like these.

Fantastic Member

See, I'm of the opinion that Rachel should have remained the Phoenix, period, rather than the bird STD it's become.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

How about Rachel finally disconnecting from everything Hound permanently. NC can deal w/ it since he was one as well. Or any others that were turned into them during that recent Event I cant care enough to find out the name of. YAWN.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    How about Rachel finally disconnecting from everything Hound permanently. NC can deal w/ it since he was one as well. Or any others that were turned into them during that recent Event I cant care enough to find out the name of. YAWN.
    I'm with you. What I don't understand is her hound identity was so explored in Days in Future Present and Excalibur and concluded so beautifully that they'd rehash it again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I'm with you. What I don't understand is her hound identity was so explored in Days in Future Present and Excalibur and concluded so beautifully that they'd rehash it again.
    Lack of creativity

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Lack of creativity
    That and they needed something to differentiate Rachel from Jean because clearly the could not yell the difference otherwise

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    If Rachel won't be involved in any upcoming hound related stories for the reasons you mentioned, I wonder what makes Rachel relevant anymore?

Rachel isn't fundamental to the story of the X-Men as Charles Xavier or Magneto. Nor does she have the depth of connection to the franchise as Jean Grey and Scott Summers. Rachel does have some distinctions that set her apart from other legacy characters, and she has benefitted from a memorable origin story and first story arc. In the 1980s, Rachel was iconic for the X-franchise, but her importance has diminished as the X-Men narrative has evolved. Nevertheless, writers continue to salvage Rachel's distinct character vs. character conflict to deliver derivative stories and reductive reinterpretations.

Rachel was the X-Men's first dystopian future refugee and arguably the least complicated. Yet, she hasn't gained widespread recognition as subsequent time-travellers like Cable or Bishop. Rachel's most noteworthy contribution was the two-issue Days of Future Past story which was the penultimate collaboration between Byrne and Claremont. Rachel made the Days of Future Past story possible through her unique mutation to project a consciousness/mind through time. The plot to change the past through a mind switch was Rachel's idea, her solution for a doomed world (as explained by Kate Pryde, whose mind gets swapped). Magneto acknowledged Rachel's crucial role in saving humanity; she symbolized the last hope for survival.

Over the years, aspects of Rachel's origins have been adapted for the cinematic universe and printed retellings, while Rachel herself is removed entirely from these reinterpretations. Excluding Rachel from Days of Future Past muddles what was originally philosophically profound; she represents the legacy of the X-Men in a world where humanity has lost. Rachel was meant to be the last survivor, the best of the X-Men as her mother Phoenix was. Yet, writers choose to ignore Rachel's origins concerning the Phoenix and even disregard her extensive experience as a Phoenix host. This negation impacts Rachel's recognition and character growth, which results in confusion and frustration for readers. Moreover, it is confounding to see adversaries connected to Rachel's narrative (Ahab and Nimrod) and concepts (the Hound program and omega-class mutants) being reimagined without the attributing character. Rewriting history to ignore a character's contributions to the X-Men franchise is a disservice to readers; for reasons, explore extensive research on the psychology behind meaning-making and story completion.

Despite having a supporting role in most of her appearances, Rachel has been pivotal to the trajectory of the X-Men's narrative. For better or worse, Rachel's origins introduced time travel and alternate reality stories. Firstly, we see Rachel as a prophetic symbol that highlights the tragic consequences of bigotry; Claremont often references how Rachel's future predicted the September 11th attacks on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre. Secondly, Rachel represents the purpose of the mutant struggle: a self-determined future that benefits subsequent generations. We see Rachel acting as a crusader for Xavier's dream when she prevents the X-Men from abandoning the team and Professor Xavier's dream. Rachel brings together and entreats her friends to form Excalibur to continue Xavier's dream. Moreover, Rachel perpetuates the dream in the far future when she forms the Askani. In her first appearance in the main Marvel universe (New Mutants), readers view a memory of Rachel as the only survivor, standing by her mentor as their world falls. Rachel was a metaphor for the perseverance of Xavier's dream, even under impossible circumstances and even when its flawed.

Rachel no longer has the influence she once held, and her character evolution has slowed, paused and sometimes has regressed. Nevertheless, aspects of her story continue to surface. The 40-year-old themes of Days of Future Past are still relevant today with Jonathan Hickman's new era for mutant-kind. Ultimately, Rachel's story explores the loss of humanity and highlights the possibilities within choice and change. I hope the powers that be allow this sympathetic character to evolve past basic survival, her perspective is valued in times like these.
    She doesn't have to be Jean 2 or a hound or nothing at all. She can finally pick up after what Davis' second run wanted to do when she was neither kinda like she wasn't all through OG Excalibur. They can just go back to that with the addition of new stories whatever they may be. Why would she have to stay frozen in something unlike other characters to be relevant?

A great succinct rundown of the history. I worry though with the reintroduction of hounds with Ahab and now with ORCHIS that she is going to be drawn into it. I wouldn't mind it to be honest because it might mean more time on panel. Unfortunately though it is the logical stepping stone for that program to begin with Rachel again. It might actually be a great time to see the entire Summers family rally in support of her to free her, but I doubt that would happen. That chance was left behind only a couple of years ago when she was taken by Ahab again.
    Actually I don't think Rachel is going to end up in the hound program again. She is too dangerous to capture safely, plus her entire family is alive to hunt down anyone who tries to take her. In 811 Rachel was alone, the entire Summers/Grey family was dead when they took her. Cable would time travel to save Rachel on his own.

The Black Brain Telepaths were a completely different program created by controlled genetic experimentation and breeding, probably using the tech that Nimrod stole from Mr Sinister when Sinister turned traitor and joined the humans and then Nimrod killed him anyway. Just because a Hound Program starts up on Earth 616 doesn't mean Rachel will be involved in it. Ahab lost some of his tech when he teleported away from the mansion in Decimation and ended up in that Eastern European country. It's very possible that Orchis now has a copy of his data and can use that to establish a Hound Program on Earth 616. Rachel is only involved peripherally because she was the alpha subject of most of Ahab's research.

Honestly, I know the Avengers have the Phoenix right now, but I still want Rachel to have her moment where she becomes Dark Phoenix. Personally I still think she is the daughter of the Phoenix and she could embrace the higher level power if she becomes emotionally triggered enough. They are doing an Inferno 2, so it would be nice to see a Dark Phoenix Saga 2 but this time it's Rachel.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Actually I don't think Rachel is going to end up in the hound program again. She is too dangerous to capture safely, plus her entire family is alive to hunt down anyone who tries to take her. In 811 Rachel was alone, the entire Summers/Grey family was dead when they took her. Cable would time travel to save Rachel on his own.

The Black Brain Telepaths were a completely different program created by controlled genetic experimentation and breeding, probably using the tech that Nimrod stole from Mr Sinister when Sinister turned traitor and joined the humans and then Nimrod killed him anyway. Just because a Hound Program starts up on Earth 616 doesn't mean Rachel will be involved in it. Ahab lost some of his tech when he teleported away from the mansion in Decimation and ended up in that Eastern European country. It's very possible that Orchis now has a copy of his data and can use that to establish a Hound Program on Earth 616. Rachel is only involved peripherally because she was the alpha subject of most of Ahab's research.

Honestly, I know the Avengers have the Phoenix right now, but I still want Rachel to have her moment where she becomes Dark Phoenix. Personally I still think she is the daughter of the Phoenix and she could embrace the higher level power if she becomes emotionally triggered enough. They are doing an Inferno 2, so it would be nice to see a Dark Phoenix Saga 2 but this time it's Rachel.
    Yeah the entire Summers clan is certainly around to go after her but I can see that being a good story. It could delve into her history and how she has coped with it. Would also be a good way to see just how close the entire Summers family is now. I know the new hound program is way off of what Ahab and Rachel were but I can still see Rachel being involved because she is almost synonymous with it.

A Dark Phoenix story line with Rachel would be great but I don't see them doing it. She's barely an after thought now. I am still really worried what happens when X-Factor is done. I think it's going to be a barren time for us Rachel fans again.

Fantastic Member

Neither here nor there, but I think what sets Rachel apart from Jean is the fact that Rachel could handle the Phoenix in ways her Mom never could, because she's not afraid of her passion as much as her mom was. But again, that's why I think she never should've been separated from it in the first place.

She was the Starchilde, for Eff's sake! Why isn't she in Mars with Storm?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    Neither here nor there, but I think what sets Rachel apart from Jean is the fact that Rachel could handle the Phoenix in ways her Mom never could, because she's not afraid of her passion as much as her mom was. But again, that's why I think she never should've been separated from it in the first place.

She was the Starchilde, for Eff's sake! Why isn't she in Mars with Storm?
    Well I know they are allies now and all, but I don't think the Shi'ar would appreciate Rachel being there LOL. You are right though, She is the freaking Starchilde and they should really play that up.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Why would she have to stay frozen in something unlike other characters to be relevant?
    Because Rachel Summers is a strong character – the survivor of another era. She carried whole stories on her shoulders and, apparently, today, authors preferred stories with few prominents characters, mostly the old ones.

And I agree with Subliminal, Rachel Summers represented Xavier’s dream… which has been abandoned.

Her wings have been clipped.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well I know they are allies now and all, but I don't think the Shi'ar would appreciate Rachel being there LOL. You are right though, She is the freaking Starchilde and they should really play that up.
    Rachel and the Sh'iar are on good terms. She worked with them throughout War of Kings. She recognizes the order to kill her family came from a select few. She had been left out of any contemporary stories involving the Sh'iar so we can only assume that are on good terms of they are allowing her to vacation in their throne world.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Rachel and the Sh'iar are on good terms. She worked with them throughout War of Kings. She recognizes the order to kill her family came from a select few. She had been left out of any contemporary stories involving the Sh'iar so we can only assume that are on good terms of they are allowing her to vacation in their throne world.
    Yeah I get that she is probably on decent terms with them. I think on both sides though there is some weariness though. With the summers clan on vacation I think she is okay but as a representative alone to the galaxy the Shi'ar may not like that, not to mention other races may not like the former host of the Phoenix being a representative of the Sol system. Plus, after what the Shi'ar did to the Grey family after looking so long for a family could she really forgive that? The people maybe and even be at peace with it but I think it would always be there in the back of her mind. Should be for Jean and Scott to but that's another matter. I'm probably wrong but I don't think she would be welcomed.