Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    X-men the End Vol.3 issue 6 President kitty Pryde has 3 children and on an episode of Jay & miles x-plain the x-men with Chris Claremont. Claremont explains that the other parent is Rachel summers.

I cried when I found this out. It’s a beautiful & profound thing Claremont wrote
    'Ya gotta love it when an interview (a podcast at that) with Chris Claremont instantly becomes canon despite it never making the pages...

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    The ending of The End wasn't clear to me... is Rachel dead or alive? Is she just part of a cosmic construct and will never see Kitty or her kids again? That's sad. I was happy to see a version of Rachel that was very skilled though, although she seemed conflicted throughout the series.

IIRC, Rachel (Grey) Summers wasn't mentioned once during the entire X-Men: The End Vol. #3 (2006) event.

It can be rationalized for sure and it's a feel good story that makes Rachel's struggle less sad, but is it necessary or impactful? Days of Future Past is such a classic, Rachel is set up at the end of as the sole survivor, it's her job to save the future because there is no one else who can. Every time a writer manipulates the events of this narrative for their own whims, character's like Rachel become less and less believable.
    Truer words are seldom spoken.
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-25-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

When the ToM is done I want Rachel back up in Space as part of the crew on the Keep.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    When the ToM is done I want Rachel back up in Space as part of the crew on the Keep.
    I think that would be great. I do kinda wish we saw the Cullen Bunn book where Rachel was the leader and space captain. She has LOTS of space experience and she is recognized in many cultures as a former host and as the Starchilde. Or even send her to Mars to be Storm's next-in-charge.

I always loved that moniker...Starchild.
    I wouldn't mind if they developed and upgraded her powers to the point where she could really be a physical asset to Storm in Space.

In my head-fic...because she was more directly attuned and in-tune with the PF (may it stay with Echo, forever and ever, amen!) her mutant genes would further mutated giving her cosmic awareness and TK/TP on a cosmic level...similar to how Silver Surfer and the other Heralds of Galactus have been changed. Except where their changes came from an external source, hers are from within.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I wouldn't mind if they developed and upgraded her powers to the point where she could really be a physical asset to Storm in Space.

In my head-fic...because she was more directly attuned and in-tune with the PF (may it stay with Echo, forever and ever, amen!) her mutant genes would further mutated giving her cosmic awareness and TK/TP on a cosmic level...similar to how Silver Surfer and the other Heralds of Galactus have been changed. Except where their changes came from an external source, hers are from within.
    I would love it, very origin al idea, the kind of thing Rachel needs to move forward.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Same, I love that name and wish that was her new moniker instead of Kitty's awful "Prestige" name. And given the now canon story that Rachel is indeed the child of the Phoenix and Jean (Scott has been hinted at not being a true donor but just hinted not confirmed) Starchilde makes more and more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I would love it, very origin al idea, the kind of thing Rachel needs to move forward.
    Agreed, these are some tangible ideas that would continue to push Rachel forward and be a greater asset to mutantkind overall. Seeing as in several of the past lives of Moira mutants are living in various pockets of the universe, her powerset would be key to helping establish other colonies as well as further separating her skills from other telepaths and telekinetics in Krakoa.

Let's petition to rid Rachel of the Prestige moniker. Do mutants even need codenames anymore now that Krakoa is its own corporatocracy? Or is it more of about ownership of an identity? I guess Starchild could work then to claim her birthright as child of the Phoenix, but it doesn't seem she'll actually wield the power anytime soon. Rachel Summers works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Let's petition to rid Rachel of the Prestige moniker. Do mutants even need codenames anymore now that Krakoa is its own corporatocracy? Or is it more of about ownership of an identity? I guess Starchild could work then to claim her birthright as child of the Phoenix, but it doesn't seem she'll actually wield the power anytime soon. Rachel Summers works great.
    It’s more separating themselves from humanity, I suppose, and owning mutant pride. It was brought up in SWORD when Cortez still had his human name while still being a human bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    It’s more separating themselves from humanity, I suppose, and owning mutant pride. It was brought up in SWORD when Cortez still had his human name while still being a human bigot.
    Yeah it was a thing that Hickman started in terms of separating themselves from humanity while outside of Krakoa. So everyone used whatever unique codename was theirs in the past (Prestige is Rachel's official non-recycled name, Penance is Monet's OG name, Jean's only non-Phoenix name is Marvel Girl, etc).So if she comes up with a different one then she could switch.

OK. I still like Askani, but if a name is supposed to be role based... how about Backtrack, Skiptracer, Parley, Anima... Neglecta, Servant... Lol

I prefer just Rachel as was used in Cable

Yupp...in lieu of Askani (is that still canon?) or Starchild...Rachel is perfect as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Yeah it was a thing that Hickman started in terms of separating themselves from humanity while outside of Krakoa. So everyone used whatever unique codename was theirs in the past (Prestige is Rachel's official non-recycled name, Penance is Monet's OG name, Jean's only non-Phoenix name is Marvel Girl, etc).So if she comes up with a different one then she could switch.
    Like adhering to a new religion?

You can think it in another way: a character made by another author is not the same character. Using another name or another codename acknowledges this fact.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Like adhering to a new religion?

You can think it in another way: a character made by another author is not the same character. Using another name or another codename acknowledges this fact.
    Well, yeah. That’s kinda the point with her codename, as horrid as it is. She is changing. Were Guggenheim a better writer, it would mean something beyond the growing of her powers (only to get continuously screwed over and over). There is a basic blueprint writers can go by, but there is no ruling beyond editorial that can and will drop them from experimenting.

Need I remind everyone of Spider-Man and the X-Men’s Rachel. *shivers*

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Need I remind everyone of Spider-Man and the X-Men’s Rachel. *shivers*
    No thanks, I still have scars. Rachel was solely in that book to job to other people to prop them up.