Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    I already had a huge discussion about Rachel's origins and how Earth-811 diverges. Check the spoilers of Uncanny X-Men 140.5 I posted to get a glimpse as to what is coming, but until that issue is formally released, we won't know the exact divergence point.
    If that was the post from yesterday, it does not enlarge. The print is too small for me to see.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    If that was the post from yesterday, it does not enlarge. The print is too small for me to see.
    He's talking about what he posted on page 16 of this Appreciation thread. Check it out, as it is what i was talkin about yesterday.
    And thanks to Drex for posting it and all that he adds to our conversations!

Taking a moment to APPRECIATE the splendid work the Alan Davis did as artist and WRITER coming up with a cohesive distillation of all the various threads of the Phoenix mythos and Rachel's Future Past in his work on EXCALIBUR. The unravelling of the concept of the Phoenix Force and how, through massive discipline and training, the force could be tapped by a lay person (such as Feron or Necrom) but that the line of Jean Grey had a natural affinity to it that held them above all others. The visual of the current generation of Feron sitting vigil over the comatose body of Rachel Summers waiting for the Phoenix Force to choose him over her spoke volumes. The concept of the Phoenix as a Force, and not just a potential innate to the Grey women, is deeply flawed and oft misused as something akin to Cosmic STI, but Davis created a framework that gently retconned things into something approaching order.

Sadly, it was almost immediately cast aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Taking a moment to APPRECIATE the splendid work the Alan Davis did as artist and WRITER coming up with a cohesive distillation of all the various threads of the Phoenix mythos and Rachel's Future Past in his work on EXCALIBUR. The unravelling of the concept of the Phoenix Force and how, through massive discipline and training, the force could be tapped by a lay person (such as Feron or Necrom) but that the line of Jean Grey had a natural affinity to it that held them above all others. The visual of the current generation of Feron sitting vigil over the comatose body of Rachel Summers waiting for the Phoenix Force to choose him over her spoke volumes. The concept of the Phoenix as a Force, and not just a potential innate to the Grey women, is deeply flawed and oft misused as something akin to Cosmic STI, but Davis created a framework that gently retconned things into something approaching order.

Without a doubt, the Alan Davis run on Excalibur is a true masterpiece

BANNED

Excalibur #74

Now, this is absolute canon!
    Last edited by Micabe; 03-10-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Agreed with every word. Alan Davis' take was THE definitive one on the Phoenix Force for me and the way I feel it should always be written. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I think the first one to screw it up was Scott Lobdell in The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix if I remember correctly, when he had Rachel say the Phoenix had "left her" years before. Except the Force had already taken to to stars in Davis' final Excalibur run and left Rachel with just the powers, now hers forever as her birthright.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Agreed with every word. Alan Davis' take was THE definitive one on the Phoenix Force for me and the way I feel it should always be written. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I think the first one to screw it up was Scott Lobdell in The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix if I remember correctly, when he had Rachel say the Phoenix had "left her" years before. Except the Force had already taken to to stars in Davis' final Excalibur run and left Rachel with just the powers, now hers forever as her birthright.
    I also agree that Davis did a great job with the evolution of the Phoenix Force. It had been changed so much as a concept from the time it was introduced in Uncanny X-Men by the time that Excalibur started that there needed to be some cleaning up. Alan drew from the stories he and Chris were telling to make the idea of the Phoenix Force work, both for Marvel who wanted it away from Jean but also for Rachel and potential future users. It was Rachel's birthright, in a number of ways. I was introduced to Rachel during this era and it's this voice, agency, and strength that Alan gave to her that I constantly compare other writers to.

I will say though, this retelling of the history of the Phoenix Force (which has been edited and retconned several times since publication) also began the tradition of allowing non-Grey hosts into the picture. I think it was unintended at the time, but it also helped inspire the Phoenix Corps that Morrison showed us. I mean it makes sense in that it would have had avatars before Jean and Rachel, but they were the preferred hosts. Unfortunately it also has lead us down the road we're currently on with Aaron really trashing everything about the Phoenix.

Fantastic Member

Any thoughts from today's X-Factor? I'm really not liking how death just doesn't matter anymore in the mutant world. I know the whole book is based around making sure mutants are dead before they are resurrected but it just feels cheap somehow. Also how does it effect the special circumstances characters find themselves in through the years like Rachel's unique connection to the Phoenix. I know it's all but ignored anyways by current writers but to me it means something or am I being too negative?

Fantastic Member

ugh, she's called Prestige again

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Without a doubt, the Alan Davis run on Excalibur is a true masterpiece

Never though I would say this but I miss the mullet.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Never though I would say this but I miss the mullet.
    I miss the mullet but more then that. I miss the costume. It was perfect for her.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Hey, they got the green eyes right as well as red eyebrows. A good start.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Is this from an upcoming book? looks like Cable again. I love the way she looked and acted in that appearance in Cable a couple of months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    Is this from an upcoming book? looks like Cable again. I love the way she looked and acted in that appearance in Cable a couple of months ago
    It's from an upcoming Cable as this is Noto's drawing of her.