Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I actually meant she might transition to Excalibur seeing as how Rogue is in X-Men, now. (yesyes...two telepaths on the same team...the horror! the impossibility! How ever will it work?)

On the topic of her clothing...her current XF look and the hideous "prestige" one are probably the most un-Rachel looks she's ever worn.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-06-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think I have to explain myself better: in my mind, classy meant good taste in clothing. Rachel has class. She is not classic.

The Gala costume doesn’t look like the “Old Rachel” would have worn because it’s ridiculous. Rachel never wore ridiculous clothing. She wore outstanding clothing.
    Oh yeah, I get where you're coming from now...I was thinking class as in the kind of stuff Emma would wear when she's not mostly naked lol

The point of this Met-type Gala is to be a little over-the-top and extreme...even a bit ridiculous. Based on her past choices, I really could see Rachel embracing the spirit of it all.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The point of this Met-type Gala is to be a little over-the-top and extreme...even a bit ridiculous. Based on her past choices, I really could see Rachel embracing the spirit of it all.
    These designs have been made by Emma, haven’t they? Why would Rachel humour Emma? She never liked her.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

These designs have been made by Emma, haven’t they? Why would Rachel humour Emma? She never liked her.
    No. They've not been made or even designed by Emma. All the looks were, in-story, designed by Jumbo Carnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No. They've not been made or even designed by Emma. All the looks were, in-story, designed by Jumbo Carnation.
    Thanks for the information.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    You mean not including that weird **** like "Scott and Jean are taking the kids (Cable and Rachel) to the beach in the Shiar Galaxy for a vacation" and all that?
    Look, Rachel's a grown up and NOT Jean's daughter...there's a lot of weird "mother/daughter" stuff they hint at and forum people hint at that's just weird.
    You mean the image/postcard of them very distant from each other on a beach? Yes, I would include that because again it shows them sharing a space but not interacting. X-Men 1. All in the Summer House together. Not a peep to each other. X-Factor 1 - Rachel help presenting to the QC, where Magneto takes the moment to congratulate Lorna on her work, but not a peep between Rachel and Jean. X of Swords - several moments and opportunities for them to be in close psychic connection on things but Cable is used as the go-between and they again don't interact once. Only in Cable have we seen the two of them have a moment of addressing each other. Regardless on how you and others feel, the X-Office made it pretty clear prior to Hickman's take over that Jean views Rachel as her daughter and a member of her family. Facts. We're just asking them to back up the talk with some content. Right now it's noticeable how they are saying one thing but showing us something else.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't really get comments like this when it's pretty obvious that writers are treating Rachel and Jean as mother and daughter. Hickman the literal architect of this current era writes them as such. And while interactions between the two could be improved upon that doesn't mean Gene doesn't consider raise or a daughter heck they're all living in the same house together and going on family vacation trips lol
    Pretty much. X-Men Red solidified it and as awful as Gold was it also hinted at it. But there had been nothing from Extermination #2 til Cable. That is a lot of time and a lot of things have happened between those points in the books.

Hickman can write Jean and Rachel as he wants, it doesn’t mean it’s very convincing. He’s just not good in interpersonal relationships otherwise he wouldn’t presented Krakoa as a done deal, he would have explained how the characters have been convinced by the whole concept, how the changes have been induced… all these things a lot of writers would have been delighted to explain.
    Hickman is not good at this, you're right. Part of the issue is the voices or "roles" that he pigeon-holes characters into: Scott as the best-father-ever; Cable as the impetuous and Gen Z-bro son; Rachel as the Meg Griffin or angsty goth-artist sister/daughter; Jean as the mom. Like those are not even close to who those characters are, nevermind who they are to each other. So the fact that THIS is what Hickman is serving us is problematic. I don't think we'll see anything more come from Jean and Rachel interacting unless it's in Cable or Leah writes it in the Trial. It's clear the other writers don't see the value of subtle connections in this so-called era of family.

Hello again! This weekend has been especially productive so I have drawn two Rachel outfits, one in honor of Askani's Flame and the other ... do you know what it is? I hope you like it.

IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0519.jpg

Here for high definition.

I always loved her Two Girls Out to Have Fun "mental" costume.

Extraordinary Member

Here’s a stupid question. Is the Krakoan language the a precursor to the Askani language?

Could they be connected?

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post

Hickman is not good at this, you're right. Part of the issue is the voices or "roles" that he pigeon-holes characters into: Scott as the best-father-ever; Cable as the impetuous and Gen Z-bro son; Rachel as the Meg Griffin or angsty goth-artist sister/daughter; Jean as the mom. Like those are not even close to who those characters are, nevermind who they are to each other. So the fact that THIS is what Hickman is serving us is problematic. I don't think we'll see anything more come from Jean and Rachel interacting unless it's in Cable or Leah writes it in the Trial. It's clear the other writers don't see the value of subtle connections in this so-called era of family.
    You put it very well, Hickman uses these caharacters as archetypes and that simply doesn't work because they dont realy fit it in.
    Cable is about to end so i don't expect any interactions of Rachel and Jean

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by askani_son View Post
    Hello again! This weekend has been especially productive so I have drawn two Rachel outfits, one in honor of Askani's Flame and the other ... do you know what it is? I hope you like it.

Omg I love both of them! You are so talented!

Quote Originally Posted by askani_son View Post

Terrific work!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    You mean the image/postcard of them very distant from each other on a beach? Yes, I would include that because again it shows them sharing a space but not interacting. X-Men 1. All in the Summer House together. Not a peep to each other. X-Factor 1 - Rachel help presenting to the QC, where Magneto takes the moment to congratulate Lorna on her work, but not a peep between Rachel and Jean. X of Swords - several moments and opportunities for them to be in close psychic connection on things but Cable is used as the go-between and they again don't interact once. Only in Cable have we seen the two of them have a moment of addressing each other. Regardless on how you and others feel, the X-Office made it pretty clear prior to Hickman's take over that Jean views Rachel as her daughter and a member of her family. Facts. We're just asking them to back up the talk with some content. Right now it's noticeable how they are saying one thing but showing us something else.

Pretty much. X-Men Red solidified it and as awful as Gold was it also hinted at it. But there had been nothing from Extermination #2 til Cable. That is a lot of time and a lot of things have happened between those points in the books.

I guess it really just boils down to personal preference. But I personally don't think there's really anything all that farfetched about how Hickman writes the Summers. Scott WOULD be a good father to his kids because he knows what it's like to grow up without one as well as being robbed of the chance to raise Cable. Now he has a second chance to make that right you better be believe hes gonna try to be the best dad ever making dad jokes and taking his family on vacations and missions. The sad part about it is that despite having two kids floating around for decades writers very rarely have Cyclops be a father.

Same goes for Jean as compassionate of a person as she is why wouldn't she want to try to be a mother to her two time-displaced / Universe displaced kids. That's right up her alley as a character.

As for Kid Cable's personality I loved it. Was it a complete 180 from how he was introduced and Extermination? Absolutely. That characterization was pretty much just OG cable but in a young person's body. As someone who always found the geriatric Cable boring it was refreshing to get a version that was actually entertaining and it gave us some great Cyclops/Jean/Cable interactions. His personal journey of self worth and doubt over constantly comparing himself to the OG Cable (who he killed) was actually a really touching story.

I will admit Hickman dropped the ball with Rachel her characterization was weak and she barely had any presence. Which is a shame because I feel like there could have been a really good story in there that explained her behavior I mean after six months prior to all of this she had been kidnapped and brainwashed by Ahab into becoming a Hound again that would have been a good way to explain why she was acting the way she was.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

Same goes for Jean as compassionate of a person as she is why wouldn't she want to try to be a mother to her two time-displaced / Universe displaced kids. That's right up her alley as a character.
    Jean does want interaction and to be a mother to Rachel. But it is the writers who do not want that. They want to take Rachel (and Jean) in a different direction.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!