Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    Nice! I'm really liking how Messina is drawing Rachel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    It's unclear if this list is based on current power levels, potential (with power-ups) or from the complete character's history. Maybe that's why former long-time Phoenix hosts are on top? I guess all the current Omegas had power-ups, like Quentin got good with the help of Sublime juice. Would you count Rachel's recent Mother Askani pep-talk as a factor in her ranking, since Mother Askani was timestream spanning powerhouse that was was worshiped as a goddess? Why isn't the Shadow King on this list? Would Onslaught be the Pokemon evolution of Xavier?
    I don't think Shadowking is a mutant, he/it just inhabits a mutant host.
    Last edited by Rev9; 09-27-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I don't think Shadowking is a mutant, he/it just inhabits a mutant host.
    Correct, Amahl Farouk is a mutant that was possessed by an ancient entity that feeds on the shadows of human souls. They bonded and grew together becoming the Shadow King, but the entity itself is not a mutant. Just the host.

baumblume

David Messina #trialofmagneto

I have to say, I am simply loving the attention Leah is giving these two, especially together.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    i have to say, i am simply loving the attention leah is giving these two, especially together.
    it's about freaking time

between the Phoenix Five as a concept and the idea of a Phoenix Buster....AvX which never regarded highly in any form just gets worse and worse I hope its never adapted...if they must have there obligatory xmen and avengers fight I rather it be more like the 80s crossover story don't use the PF to prop up another weak AvX story for the purpose of bolstering the standing of the Avengers at the expense of the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    between the Phoenix Five as a concept and the idea of a Phoenix Buster....AvX which never regarded highly in any form just gets worse and worse I hope its never adapted...if they must have there obligatory xmen and avengers fight I rather it be more like the 80s crossover story don't use the PF to prop up another weak AvX story for the purpose of bolstering the standing of the Avengers at the expense of the X-Men.
    I'm all for science and technology, but I think it's ridiculous to see earth-based inventions destroy a primary force in the universe. While galactic empires never developed this first is suspicious. I guess IRL we're destroying this planet without sci-fi tech, but to destroy a universe, alternate timeliness or cosmic constructs with a gadget? Makes me more scared of ai.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I'm all for science and technology, but I think it's ridiculous to see earth-based inventions destroy a primary force in the universe. While galactic empires never developed this first is suspicious. I guess IRL we're destroying this planet without sci-fi tech, but to destroy a universe, alternate timeliness or cosmic constructs with a gadget? Makes me more scared of ai.
    It was completely ridiculous......I suppose Phoenix is in good company tho Phoenix Buster, Galactus Buster I suppose there will be a Living Tribunal Buster soon.....and perish the thought perhaps a One Above All Buster to eventually.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Cute, just chillin' on a Sunday afternoon....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

LOL, so I'm reading a Vs. debate with Rachel and it just dawned on me I'm a big Rachel fan. I never thought about it but I have a lot of her feats locked in my head and it irks me when someone underestimates her in a fight.

One of her opponents is Aquaman's wife Mera and and one poster is going on about her how she can do this and that with water. My first thought, Rachel can do every thing Mera can do with her telekinesis and more.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 10-12-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    LOL, so I'm reading a Vs. debate with Rachel and it just dawned on me I'm a big Rachel fan. I never thought about it but I have lot of her feats locked in my head and it irks me when someone underestimates her in a fight.

One of her opponents is Aquaman's wife Mera and and one poster is going on about her how she can do this and that with water. My first thought, Rachel can do every thing Mera can do with her telekinesis and more.
    Welcome to the Pack!

So I would say that you are right, but with vs battles sometimes it comes down to what is shown on panel vs what we know they can do. I don't know enough about Mera to speculate but I think the only area that would have her beating Rachel was with magic (which I think she has?). Ray could do some nasty stuff with her tp and tk, but she's susceptible to magic attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Welcome to the Pack!

So I would say that you are right, but with vs battles sometimes it comes down to what is shown on panel vs what we know they can do. I don't know enough about Mera to speculate but I think the only area that would have her beating Rachel was with magic (which I think she has?). Ray could do some nasty stuff with her tp and tk, but she's susceptible to magic attacks.
    Agreed, it's less about potential and more about what the person making the post has experienced, Rachel has been written inconsistently throughout her whole existence. It's almost if inconsistency and wishy-washiness is a character trait for her. I'd hope that she was a dynamic character and gotten better or more interesting, but she is often written as held back by her past trauma and lack of confidence. Some writers need to set up a hierarchy of power in their stories and sadly Rachel seldom shows us what she should really be able to do. She was weaponized young and has had the lengthy battle experience as her peers (Laura, Illyana, Kitty...) and she went to the best school with the best mentors... she should be as formidable as Jean. If her mother (the Phoenix) made her to be a clone of Jean or mixed in some of Scott or the force... Rachel should have some amazing potential. But she's often given plot required stupidity.

For instance that astral battle between Emma and Rachel in Hong Kong. Most Vs posting readers would say that Emma soundly thrashed Rachel, leaving her incredulous... yet, if you look at panel to panel attacks, they were evenly matched. Rachel hit with what she thought was damaging to Emma, her vanity and Emma hit with what she knew was Rachel's weak spot, abandonment and imprisonment. True, Rachel just gives up, becoming a cry baby. This seems to be necessary for the two to work together, Emma in a mentor role. However, it's also ridiculous from what we've seen before and even written before by Claremont. Emma taught Rachel things she already knew how to do. Rachel was regressed to a pre-teen maturity, which is surprising from how she rolled with the punches just months ago with her return to the 616 in Cable.

Actually, what Claremont did to Rachel Grey is a bit sexist, all she was skilled at with her powers was stereotypical girls interest like fashion and makeup. Rachel could re-arrange molecules to make new clothes, I'm guessing changing materials and even a few times, her dna. How can she's still be called 'unskilled'. And Rachel was already changing perception on a large scale, like how she made the New Mutants and X-Men disappear in front of a crowd of hundreds after the Asgardian Wars. It's even more ridiculous with the feat that Emma supposedly taught her, because Claremont forgot that every panel where Rachel is seen without her hound marks is automatic sensory perception manipulation. Even when Rachel is knocked unconscious, she has rewired perceptions and long term memories of anyone who has simultaneously looked at her, even telepaths who are her superior. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that she isn't tough and ultra capable like Hope (the Rachel replacement of the 616) and Cable, since she grew up in the same or worse situation to survive. Maybe she's get more credibility in vs fights otherwise.

So, if she is written to be confident and capable, top tier telepathy and telekinesis is hard to beat in a versus battle. And if she got fancy and used her time powers too...
    Last edited by Subliminal; 10-14-2021 at 05:09 AM.

Fantastic Member

Decent showing for Rachel today and a good moment with her and Jean in the trail of Magneto. Has anyone heard what becomes of X-Factor after the trial. I know the book is cancelled, but anything else?