Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
You're right that it ultimately doesn't make any major changes, but just surprising to me in a lot of ways. Good that it provides more context, but God now it makes everything with Kurt even more gross
Claremont's DOFP version of Kurt and his relationship with Rachel has always been inconsistent. First Kurt was one of the dead X-Men and Rachel remembered him being killed at the mansion. I think there was a different version of his death in Excalibur during the Cross-Time Caper. Now Claremont's realized the discrepancy so he's confirmed that Rachel remembering dead Kurt was a false memory.

Then there's the fact that he's her godfather (I'm a little surprised Logan wasn't but then again, Claremont always wanted Jean and Logan paired together so he may have done that on purpose) and there's no romantic interactions between them in Excalibur. Kurt is interested in Meggan and Claremont claimed he felt Kitty and Rachel were soulmates (even though earlier he established that Illyana is Kitty's real soulmate) and he wasn't allowed to pair them together. But then during X-Men Reload, he has Kurt and Rachel flirt with each other (which never seemed that different from Kurt and Ororo flirting but they never ended up together) and by X-Men Red, they've become a real couple.