Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Who would've thunk that in a universe where characters wear extra ass costumes to save lives that they would also dress up for a state sponsored event?
    Well, a lot can be forgiven if you save lives… Anyway, their former combat costumes looked sober compared to these Gala costumes.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

When you're half cosmic entity on your mother's side, you can get away with being a bit extra at a party.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    When you're half cosmic entity on your mother's side, you can get away with being a bit extra at a party.
    My point is not “I like it/I don’t like it” or “she deserves to wear what she wants even extra something”.

It’s just that knowing that I knew about Rachel Summers, she wore classy clothing. She had strong personality, she wouldn’t have accepted to be a victim of some fashion designer.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    My point is not “I like it/I don’t like it” or “she deserves to wear what she wants even extra something”.

It’s just that knowing that I knew about Rachel Summers, she wore classy clothing. She had strong personality, she wouldn’t have accepted to be a victim of some fashion designer.
    I understand this look may not be everyone's cup of tea. Personally I love it for the outlandishness of it. And it doesn't break away from pre-existing themes of who Rachel is and her wardrobe choices. Throughout the entirety of Excalibur Rachel wore some revealing clothing. I would never really call them classy (that red leather skirt with matching crop top and biker jacket), but they were her style and she made them work and men and women found her attractive in them. Further evidence of Rachel bucking the trend and going for controversial fashion statements goes to Excalibur 65:

original.jpg

excal65_22.jpg

She clearly knows that people have feelings about her choice of wearing the Dark Phoenix outfit, but likes the look. Similar to when she first takes the moniker of Phoenix and wears the costume in front of Scott for the first in the Asgardian Wars and he asks her to change and says no. So her wearing this outfit follows that established idea of making bold and extravagant choices for attention.

Again I recognize that not everyone likes this look for a variety of reasons, but this feels right for her based on her history.

I wondered why Rachel wasn't with the team on the cover. And now she's standing apart from them in the departure panels. Hmmmm. Nice to see Hope and Rachel talking. Is Jubilee getting a sitter? Bringing a puppy to a party just means you don't intend to stay long.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I am annoyed that she's not even on the cover of the last issue. I have a sinking feeling we wont see her for quite sometime after all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Yes, It's ridiculous not to see Rachel on the cover of the LAST issue... ridiculous... I feel quite sad.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I understand this look may not be everyone's cup of tea. Personally I love it for the outlandishness of it. And it doesn't break away from pre-existing themes of who Rachel is and her wardrobe choices. Throughout the entirety of Excalibur Rachel wore some revealing clothing. I would never really call them classy (that red leather skirt with matching crop top and biker jacket), but they were her style and she made them work and men and women found her attractive in them. Further evidence of Rachel bucking the trend and going for controversial fashion statements goes to Excalibur 65:

original.jpg

excal65_22.jpg

She clearly knows that people have feelings about her choice of wearing the Dark Phoenix outfit, but likes the look. Similar to when she first takes the moniker of Phoenix and wears the costume in front of Scott for the first in the Asgardian Wars and he asks her to change and says no. So her wearing this outfit follows that established idea of making bold and extravagant choices for attention.

Again I recognize that not everyone likes this look for a variety of reasons, but this feels right for her based on her history.
    Agreed 100% x 1000 (even her Marvel Girl-inspired micro mini and cropped top was a bit risque.)

The one time Rachel tried a simple, elegant LBD and strappy sandals...she went tumbling down a flight of stairs. The woman needs to stick with what she's comfortable in.

Edit: with Rogue in X-Men...and she's actually showed up a few times in Excalibur...I could easily see her eventually transitioning full-time to that book, once the Trial of magneto is done.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Agreed 100% x 1000 (even her Marvel Girl-inspired micro mini and cropped top was a bit risque.)

The one time Rachel tried a simple, elegant LBD and strappy sandals...she went tumbling down a flight of stairs. The woman needs to stick with what she's comfortable in.

Edit: with Rogue in X-Men...and she's actually showed up a few times in Excalibur...I could easily see her eventually transitioning full-time to that book, once the Trial of magneto is done.
    Ugh the fact that Rachel, who essentially wore a 5 inch stiletto heel THE ENTIRE EXCALIBUR Run would not know how to walk in heels? Awful.

I disagree on X-Men, I don't think we'll see Rachel appear there at all unless she appears and works with Cyclops, Rogue, and Polaris. The writers have shown they have no interest in having Rachel and Jean interact and that would put them in a situation where they might need to speak to each other. Although they have already had them in several books be in the same room and never acknowledge each other so maybe? I think I would see Rachel move to maybe Excalibur next February. She's going to be starring in the Trial of Magneto and likely will have a cameo in Inferno.

The writers have shown they have no interest in having Rachel and Jean interact and that would put them in a situation where they might need to speak to each other. Although they have already had them in several books be in the same room and never acknowledge each other so maybe?
    You mean not including that weird **** like "Scott and Jean are taking the kids (Cable and Rachel) to the beach in the Shiar Galaxy for a vacation" and all that?
    Look, Rachel's a grown up and NOT Jean's daughter...there's a lot of weird "mother/daughter" stuff they hint at and forum people hint at that's just weird.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    You mean not including that weird **** like "Scott and Jean are taking the kids (Cable and Rachel) to the beach in the Shiar Galaxy for a vacation" and all that?
    Look, Rachel's a grown up and NOT Jean's daughter...there's a lot of weird "mother/daughter" stuff they hint at and forum people hint at that's just weird.
    I don't really get comments like this when it's pretty obvious that writers are treating Rachel and Jean as mother and daughter. Hickman the literal architect of this current era writes them as such. And while interactions between the two could be improved upon that doesn't mean Gene doesn't consider raise or a daughter heck they're all living in the same house together and going on family vacation trips lol

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't really get comments like this when it's pretty obvious that writers are treating Rachel and Jean as mother and daughter. Hickman the literal architect of this current era writes them as such. And while interactions between the two could be improved upon that doesn't mean Gene doesn't consider raise or a daughter heck they're all living in the same house together and going on family vacation trips lol
    Hickman can write Jean and Rachel as he wants, it doesn’t mean it’s very convincing. He’s just not good in interpersonal relationships otherwise he wouldn’t presented Krakoa as a done deal, he would have explained how the characters have been convinced by the whole concept, how the changes have been induced… all these things a lot of writers would have been delighted to explain.

Spectacular Member

original.jpg

excal65_22.jpg

Yeah, I agree - personally I hate her gala look but I have to admit it's very on-brand for Rachel. I don't know where this idea that she wears classy clothing comes from, she was in jazzercise gear most of the time before she became Phoenix, she had a skintight spiked bodysuit for most of her Excalibur days before wearing the Dark Phoenix costume and she always had that weird buzzcut/mullet hybrid which SHOULD have looked awful except for the fact that Alan Davis is an art god and could make literally anything look amazing. Her Marvel Girl costume was probably her most conservative look till recently and that was a skirt and belly shirt; she's been pretty consistent in not giving a **** about whether people think she has class or not

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Yeah, I agree - personally I hate her gala look but I have to admit it's very on-brand for Rachel. I don't know where this idea that she wears classy clothing comes from, she was in jazzercise gear most of the time before she became Phoenix, she had a skintight spiked bodysuit for most of her Excalibur days before wearing the Dark Phoenix costume and she always had that weird buzzcut/mullet hybrid which SHOULD have looked awful except for the fact that Alan Davis is an art god and could make literally anything look amazing. Her Marvel Girl costume was probably her most conservative look till recently and that was a skirt and belly shirt; she's been pretty consistent in not giving a **** about whether people think she has class or not
    I think I have to explain myself better: in my mind, classy meant good taste in clothing. Rachel has class. She is not classic.

The Gala costume doesn’t look like the “Old Rachel” would have worn because it’s ridiculous. Rachel never wore ridiculous clothing. She wore outstanding clothing.