Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Neither Laura nor Rachel needs a "mother" And I certainly hope Duggan doesn't write Jean being "maternal" in X-Men.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by askani_son View Post
    Maybe... we can see Rachel in Excalibur? OMG.. please!
    Frankly better limbo than to become one of Howard's....characters? I guess is the word I'll use.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Neither Laura nor Rachel needs a "mother" And I certainly hope Duggan doesn't write Jean being "maternal" in X-Men.
    Not saying they do. Though I do side with wanting to see more mother daughter type moments between Rachel and Jean. I am just saying that I think it's more likely we will see more of those types of moments between Jean and Laura with the new lineup then anything with Rachel.

Jean seems to be written as the kind of person who would choose to not have kids. But ends up in a caretaker role anyways. Does a hero need to be an orphan and have no dependencies to be effective? Its not like the x-men are a league of assassins. Found family is a main theme for the X-titles, and parent-child relationship stories are some of the most memorable. Rachel and Laura would both want a maternal presence based on their histories, even if its just as a mentor.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    Not saying they do. Though I do side with wanting to see more mother daughter type moments between Rachel and Jean. I am just saying that I think it's more likely we will see more of those types of moments between Jean and Laura with the new lineup then anything with Rachel.
    I think Duggan would be wary to do so. I think we'll see moments where Jean, Lorna, or Rogue all give woman-to-woman advice to Laura or council her, but I don't think we'll see an overt Jean is acting like Laura's mother. It would be contrived and it really didn't happen that much in Red and I would expect to see less of it now that Logan is back (as a reminder part of the reason we saw her with Rachel and Laura in the Red Annual was because both Scott and Logan were dead). To see it happen now while she is not doing the same to Rachel would be problematic, but yet would be the status quo unfortunately.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Mentor, yes. Relatable female, definitely. "Mother", no.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Fantastic Member

So all the Omega's got together to do something interesting in Planet Sized yesterday. I am really not a fan of the direction the whole franchise is going and with X-Factor cancelled I probably will stop paying attention. Having said that, I long for the days when Rachel was recognized as a powerhouse. She should have been there helping. Just my opinion.

So all the Omega's got together to do something interesting in Planet Sized yesterday. I am really not a fan of the direction the whole franchise is going and with X-Factor cancelled I probably will stop paying attention. Having said that, I long for the days when Rachel was recognized as a powerhouse. She should have been there helping. Just my opinion.
    I haven't read it yet as I am behind on my books. I do think that Leah has shown that Rachel is a powerhouse. Clearly she can't make her an omega as that goes against Hickman's list, but she has had some great showings in X-Factor. I still think he should be an omega in TK but that's my fan wish and clearly Hickman does not agree with me.

Do I wish she was doing more? Sure do! But given how saturated Krakoa is with mutants it will be hard to have her standout without her being featured in a book. So maybe we'll see more in the Trial of Magneto? I think there can be opportunities to highlight and showcase her being a powerhouse without having her be "an omega". Honestly in most cases it's more of a hinderance because omegas then job to the villain du jour to make them seem more powerful than they should be.

Having Rachel help out in PSX would have defeated the purpose of what that was...a display of the omega mutants. Ive seen other posters wish that other characters like Cyclops was there but that would have made taken away from what this was if anyone else was added

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Having Rachel help out in PSX would have defeated the purpose of what that was...a display of the omega mutants. Ive seen other posters wish that other characters like Cyclops was there but that would have made taken away from what this was if anyone else was added
    I haven't read the issue but I'm totally fine with her inclusion not being there. If it's about Omegas she's not one so it makes sense she shouldn't/wouldn't be included! And yeah, I am sure lots of posters are wishing/whining that their fav wasn't there but it wasn't the book for that character. It happens.

Rachel fans are used to her being excluded from major events or her contributions to the x-stories forgotten all together. Not sure what she would show off at the omega talent show if she was invited... turning herself into a dinosaur? Basic psychics do that on the daily anyway, right?

Fantastic Member

I suppose my problem was that she used to be recognized as one of the most powerful. To me she is still, but I know my opinion means nothing LOL

Line it drawn

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Line it drawn
    Booooooo...no love for Stryfe. LOL
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Rachel fans are used to her being excluded from major events or her contributions to the x-stories forgotten all together. Not sure what she would show off at the omega talent show if she was invited... turning herself into a dinosaur? Basic psychics do that on the daily anyway, right?
    At least she is now allowed to be in events! When she was Phoenix she was excluded because of Jean and she would likely be too OP for the event to work right without having to nerf her badly. So she, and all of Excalibur, were left out of events. Since AvX she has played cameo queen for the most part: appearing so readers and fans aren't screaming "where is Rachel???" but also not being allowed to have a larger role in the event especially if it involved Jean or the Phoenix. To be clear I'm not blaming Jean, it's all the editors and writers for their failure to understand her character or use her inclusion.

War of Kings - she had to be noobed to be allowed to participate, and she couldn't even protect Lilandra right.

AvX - Even though the event centered around the Phoenix, and Hope needed a former host to train her, Rachel was effectively written into the companion issues and not allowed any role in the main series. She never even spoke to Hope the entire event and her status as former host was a taboo topic.

IvX - Background and only had a role in the Uncanny issues under Bunn.

Battle of the Atom - background and cameo role, but it marked the first time Rachel ever spoke a word to Tean and Tott on panel.

Civil War II - brought in to bring Mags into New Attilan, which to be honest while the artwork was piss poor she had a great showing. She literally used her tk to mask all physical traces of their presence and break them into New Attilan untraced and then was masking them telepathically as well for an extended time. Thank god for Bunn.

Resurrection - She got a headache and then was taken out in the first issue. To be fair so was Cable but c'mon why was Kitty Pryde essential to Jean's return but not Rachel??

Extermination - Had a speaking role in the first two issues and then became a punching bag and perpetual victim for the remainder of the event extending til the Hickman era.

Disassembled - Was a slave so not available

X of Swords - Was too busy probing minds in Healing Gardens to do anything than interact with Nate Grey and appear in Jean's call to battle.

House of X/Powers of X - Nothing

I suppose my problem was that she used to be recognized as one of the most powerful. To me she is still, but I know my opinion means nothing LOL

I am with you buddy.
    She's still powerful but when you have an island full of super powerful mutants and they only want to focus on a subset not everyone is allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Booooooo...no love for Stryfe. LOL

I know seriously if they have X-Man and both forms of Cable Stryfe should be there (and maybe Ruby).
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 06-21-2021 at 12:48 PM.