Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    Although I liked the run she had as Marvel Girl in Uncanny for the most part. The de-aging and making her a bratty teenager wearing that costume still annoys me. I never did like it. Just felt a little..... I don't know forced. Still always nice to see her and Jean together with smiles
    Yeah, but I'm only talking about the looks here, not Rachel as Marvel Girl II. Both Jean and Rachel are wearing variations to previous costumes (yes, the one Rachel wore as MG II was different from this one) and I like the looks!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I'm just happy the way she's being written and showing to shine under Leah. I REALLY don't like a Kate and Rachel pairing as I think Kitty/Kate has been an awful friend to Ray. She's a mess and I don't think Rachel needs her drama anymore.
    I feel the same way. Personally, I wouldn't put Rachel and Kitty together as they are now (still better than Korvus) but I do understand why Claremont calls them soulmates given that he really only goes by canon being what he's written and events that effect those books.

I see your...
    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Line it is drawn
    and raise you a ...

by DeviatArtist
    https://www.deviantart.com/darrengeers

Nah, that is not a raise, but a decrease.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I see your...

and raise you a ...

by DeviatArtist
    https://www.deviantart.com/darrengeers
    The art is fantastic but that seems to be Xorn Jean from Children of the Atom. Not exactly a good character. The art though is great, the expressions and the arm over her shoulder. Why can't we just get one moment like that on panel? lol

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Nah, that is not a raise, but a decrease.
    100% Rachel is actually taller than Jean as an adult (thanks Scott)

The art is fantastic but that seems to be Xorn Jean from Children of the Atom. Not exactly a good character. The art though is great, the expressions and the arm over her shoulder. Why can't we just get one moment like that on panel? lol
    I agree that artwork is amazing. Given that is a supposed snapshot of Battle of the Atom the costumes make sense. I GET what the artist is trying to convey with Jean being all chained and battle mode up, and Rachel similarly dressed. It's a cute mother daughter pic. But 1) why can't we ACTUALLY GET THIS in the comics and 2) FOR REALS PEOPLE SHE'S TALLER THAN JEAN

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    100% Rachel is actually taller than Jean as an adult (thanks Scott)

I agree that artwork is amazing. Given that is a supposed snapshot of Battle of the Atom the costumes make sense. I GET what the artist is trying to convey with Jean being all chained and battle mode up, and Rachel similarly dressed. It's a cute mother daughter pic. But 1) why can't we ACTUALLY GET THIS in the comics and 2) FOR REALS PEOPLE SHE'S TALLER THAN JEAN
    You have said a couple of times that Rachel is taller then Jean. I don't really recall seeing that in any back issue. Can you pinpoint it for me? To be honest I would think with her upbringing and the camps and what not she would be smaller because of malnutrition.

Incredible Member

You have said a couple of times that Rachel is taller then Jean. I don't really recall seeing that in any back issue. Can you pinpoint it for me? To be honest I would think with her upbringing and the camps and what not she would be smaller because of malnutrition.
    She didn't move into the camps until her late teens, when she was freed from Ahab. Before that, as a Hound, I imagine that while her mental condition was terrible, she was at least kept in top physical condition.

BANNED

Adding to that after she ended up in Mojos bodyshop the point about her upbringing in the camps would be not relevant anymore.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    She didn't move into the camps until her late teens, when she was freed from Ahab. Before that, as a Hound, I imagine that while her mental condition was terrible, she was at least kept in top physical condition.
    It's an excellent point about her being in top condition while a hound but then we delve into her age again. There's still a possibility she was sent to the camps while she was still developing but it's a grey area.

Sure thing! If you look at the trading cards as well as a variety of websites (I'll link to two from the same site for comparison) you can see that while Rachel is only an inch taller than Jean she is still taller. Jean is listed everywhere as being 5'6" and Rachel is 5'7".
    Jean; Also here
    Rachel ; also here

I would also agree with Drex that while Rachel definitely had a level of malnutrition (as seen towards then end of her stint in the concentration camp and then being on the run with Kate before coming to 616), prior to her attack on Ahab they would have kept her in top condition physically given that she was their apex hunter. Also with Scott being taller than Jean she likely gained a slight height difference from genetics.

It's an excellent point about her being in top condition while a hound but then we delve into her age again. There's still a possibility she was sent to the camps while she was still developing but it's a grey area.
    Well, again, she was young when she entered into the Hound program. Maybe 9-10. We don't have a full grasp on how long she was a hound and when she was sent into the camps but she had gone through puberty at least prior to entering the camp. I say this only because of the artwork from Excalibur #52 (I think) that shows a younger Rachel at Xavier's side. Given her age in relation to Franklin I would say she was about 17 when DoFP happened. Putting her at 17 arriving in 616. and saying that she was 20 when Excalibur #75 makes sense.

But from a standpoint on fanart vs book art when next to each other Jean and Rachel should be the same height or Rachel slightly taller. But given that they have only been shown on panel interacting once in 2 years there is no current comparison. In most cases these fanart pieces are designed to show Jean as a loving and caring "mother-figure" (which she sadly isn't in the books to Rachel) and Rachel is drawn more immature and smaller to denote her as the "child". I liken them to cute and awesome "what ifs" lol.
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 01-26-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

In the Askani future while Nate was in coma, she said she was fourteen before she got sent to the camps.

Also regarding her age in X-Men and Excalibur, Brian himself said that Rachel and Kitty are both teenagers in Excalibur 1.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    In the Askani future while Nate was in coma, she said she was fourteen before she got sent to the camps.

Also regarding her age in X-Men and Excalibur, Brian himself said that Rachel and Kitty are both teenagers in Excalibur 1.
    That's kind of my point but Askani's Flame is usually on point with the timeline and is much better at piecing it all together then I am. Something to me tells me though that she could not be taller then Jean because of the camps but I have no real evidence beyond what you point out.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Hopefully Leah Williams will be able to explicitly write Rachel Summers as bisexual with Kate kinda confirmed as well. I know that Leah has said she writes her as a lesbian, but as much as I like Rachel and Kate, I love the tragic romance of Rachel Summers and Franklin Richards and it'd feel a bit like Days of Future Present were being invalidated. Regardless, I'm glad that Rachel is under the care of a good writer.
    I've always been intrigued by the thought of a child of the X-men and a child of the FF falling in love, but outside of the original issue and maybe some follow up stories. Has any recent writers ever hinted at their relationship, I'm genuinely intrigued when and for how long in narrative writers mentioned Rachel/Franklin's love..

That's kind of my point but Askani's Flame is usually on point with the timeline and is much better at piecing it all together then I am. Something to me tells me though that she could not be taller then Jean because of the camps but I have no real evidence beyond what you point out.
    Hey I'm not always right, and when I'm not I totes embrace it lol. I 100% forgot Rachel made that statement to Jean at the end of Adventures of Cyclops in Phoenix. So That puts her in Ahab's care for a shoter period than I expected, but I don't think it necessarily changes my age foe her in terms of 616. She arrives in 616 at 17. By Excalibur #75 she's 20, or just shy of it. Making her a teen during the entirety of Excalibur, and she was 18 for most of it allowing her access to pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I've always been intrigued by the thought of a child of the X-men and a child of the FF falling in love, but outside of the original issue and maybe some follow up stories. Has any recent writers ever hinted at their relationship, I'm genuinely intrigued when and for how long in narrative writers mentioned Rachel/Franklin's love..
    Outside of Days of Future Present and the few pages of the scrapped Phoenix miniseries, they have left anything with Rachel and Franklin alone. The fact that she didn't even interact or engage with him during that awful crossover last year was an indication they are not touching that anymore. It would be interesting to see, but now given that he's not a mutant it feels moot.
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 01-27-2021 at 07:48 AM.