Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It wasn’t until I read Tynion is bringing in manga influences that I really saw it, but Punchline is very manga.

I really like her character. She’s going to stick around, I think, and will be a mainstay character. Especially with the popularity of Harley, which means they can be arch enemies in other media.
    I'm curious who will be her archenemy moving forward: Harley (due to the whole association with Joker creating a natural rivalry) or Bluebird (as outlined in the Punchline one-shot and to be explored further in the backups)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    I'm curious who will be her archenemy moving forward: Harley (due to the whole association with Joker creating a natural rivalry) or Bluebird (as outlined in the Punchline one-shot and to be explored further in the backups)?
    Maybe her archenemy is the truth ?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe her archenemy is the truth ?
    Her archenemy is tea spilling youtube channels ^^

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Her archenemy is tea spilling youtube channels ^^
    So her archenemy is KeemStar?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

As much as I've enjoyed the character being a bit of a breath of fresh air in Batman mythos, I feel DC has already pulled the pin on the character and we probably won't hear much out of her again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    As much as I've enjoyed the character being a bit of a breath of fresh air in Batman mythos, I feel DC has already pulled the pin on the character and we probably won't hear much out of her again.
    Other than the fact she’s currently building an empire of ideological fanatics through social media in every part of the world. So she’s clearly not going anywhere.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Her success to me just proves that you can’t just make a character popular. Look at how many new characters have been added to the Batman mythos in recent years. Look at how many of them have been pushed down our throats. But along comes punchline and in one year is more popular then pretty much all of them.

I think it’s because she fits a definite niche, but isn’t to derivative.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Her success to me just proves that you can’t just make a character popular. Look at how many new characters have been added to the Batman mythos in recent years. Look at how many of them have been pushed down our throats. But along comes punchline and in one year is more popular then pretty much all of them.

All other Batman female villains have flipped thier is a vacant spot for her. However we have all these extended members like Steph Cass Kate Helena duke too many to know what to do with. She is also more stable then Jokers Daughter

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

art by j2Artist Dr. Gonzo

art by j2Artist Dr. Gonzo
    More cute than I'd expect...

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

So gorgeous
    They gotta find something for her to do

eeeeehhh yes and no? not that I don't think Punchline is dope or has legs but it's still pretty early in her career to say she's particularly successful, at least not moreso than any of the other new characters that had been introduced in recent years at this stage of development, when the bat-offices pushed them. as far as I can tell I mean. I think the biggest difference with Tyrion's batch (Clownhunter, Ghost-Maker, Punchline) is it appears that older/hardcore fans (the message board/internet subculture types) have taken to them better and haven't been as combative about them as they have been with characters introduced around the New 52 era like Harper, Duke, and even Damian in a way. none of them were really "pushed down anyone's throat", they merely existed and people needed a talking point to justify shitting on them.

for Punchline particularly, I wouldn't even say her character's any less derivative than these other characters (which is to say, those guys weren't really all that derivative) but that's likely attributed to the fact that she's filling a niche that people feel doesn't "get in the way" of their favorite character or a character they're invested in; the same reason Luke didn't get as much push back as Duke and Harper despite coming out during the same era. Luke took over for Batwing, a secondary character based in Africa (an area most westerners are ignorant of and don't pay much mind) so he got minimal push back when they switched him in because most "hardcore" fans' investment in Batwing starts and stops at "black (african) Bat character that's over there somewhere". not to say there were no genuine post-Crisis Batwing fans, but let's not get bogged down into that. similarly Punchline is fulfilling a role that isn't perceived as stepping on any one's toes. She's taking up Harley's old role, which some fans have felt she [Harley] has strayed too far from as she skyrocketed in popularity. so they don't mind Punchline coming in, and are willing to process her points of difference and appreciate what she's bringing to the table; which is more than someone like Harper got when she hit the scene.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-24-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."